Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ApeCase 1900

Anyone have any user experience or thoughts for that matter on the ApeCase ACRPRO1900 photo backpack. As much as I love my Domke FX3 it is not practical for hiking nor traveling for me, so I need a backpack style photo bag. I am thinking of this one since it looks like just a regular backpack, but would consider others as long as it meets those criteria.

ACPRO1900 Digital SLR and Laptop Case

02-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't know the apecases, but if you want a backbag for hiking country side, the ones from clik elite www.clikelite.com are fantastic. If you do lot of hiking throuigh cities, the urban gear from www.naneubags.com are fantastic
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Don't know the apecases, but if you want a backbag for hiking country side, the ones from clik elite www.clikelite.com are fantastic. If you do lot of hiking throuigh cities, the urban gear from www.naneubags.com are fantastic
The click elites look good and look less like a photo backpack vs the naneubags, in fact the "cloudscape" looks like a regular hiking pack. The only potential issue I see with this one is the camera pouch inside doesn't seem to fit much although I could always add one of their "capsules" for times when I want to carry more lenses. I do like something that looks a bit more of the outdoor style though, something that has the removable camera section similar to the ApeCase would be nice.
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I bought this one.....

Tamrac 5585 Expedition 5x Backpack (Black) 5585-01 B&H Photo

.....exactly 2 years ago - in anticipation of our family vacation to the Grand Canyon and other AZ locations that summer. It worked (and continues to work) like a charm. It held a K20D and K10D (both with lenses attached for quick shooting), 3 additional lenses and had plenty of extra room for a rocket blower, spare battery and charger, extra cards, a few filters, etc. I used the laptop slot in the front for paperwork - like boarding passes, maps, etc, and the tripod holder even allowed me to bring my small travel tripod.

It's a great case to hold all my gear for storage at home, and I've used it many times since to haul gear to kids sporting events, on vacations in the car, etc. It's very stable when you snap the waist strap on, and pretty comfortable for lugging around all day.

My 2 cents.....

Tim

02-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
For what it's worth, I bought this one.....

Tamrac 5585 Expedition 5x Backpack (Black) 5585-01 B&H Photo

.....exactly 2 years ago - in anticipation of our family vacation to the Grand Canyon and other AZ locations that summer. It worked (and continues to work) like a charm. It held a K20D and K10D (both with lenses attached for quick shooting), 3 additional lenses and had plenty of extra room for a rocket blower, spare battery and charger, extra cards, a few filters, etc. I used the laptop slot in the front for paperwork - like boarding passes, maps, etc, and the tripod holder even allowed me to bring my small travel tripod.

It's a great case to hold all my gear for storage at home, and I've used it many times since to haul gear to kids sporting events, on vacations in the car, etc. It's very stable when you snap the waist strap on, and pretty comfortable for lugging around all day.

My 2 cents.....

Tim
That's a pretty nice pack...similar to the ApeCase in terms of how camera equipment is stored and how much of it can be stored. The only downside I see for me is that the laptop storage is quite small although to be fair that is not a major criteria that I am concerned about. In the meantime I saw Dakine makes some too that seem pretty good...

Dakine Packs : Mission Photo

...and those do have a removable camera section.
02-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I am very fond of my Naneu Alpha L, it holds lot of gear, has a removable camera section, and upperpart holds a lot of gear too. and it has the back side entry, so nobody can get to your gear when you are carrying it. The Alpha is it's little brother without laptop compartment
Military OPS Alpha L | Naneu Bags
02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After much consideration I just ordered a DaKine Sequence. For me this pack seems like it will serve its purpose for a variety of situations from local day treks both city and great outdoors, travel both in country (small enough for carry on and with laptop) and international (back access keeps gear safer) as well as being useful as a regular day pack when camera storage block is removed. I have normal Dakine packs and from my personal experience they are very durable and comfortable with excellent strap designs that provide excellent load distribution. I can also obtain and use a smaller 3rd party ICU when I don't need to carry so much gear leaving even more room for various things I may want to bring along. Hopefully I find this pack to be versatile enough for many years.