Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How To Remove Lightstand Stud Locking Pin?

Does anyone know how to efficiently remove the pin shown (marked with red arrow) in the image below? You can find these pins fitted into the mounting studs of most lightstands and booms. Both the pin and stud are apparently made of brass.

The pin itself is unimportant, so I don't really care if it's destroyed during removal. However, I certainly don't want to damage the stud or the lightstand this pin is attached to.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

stewart

{ IMAGE REMOVED AFTER 10 DAYS }

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-09-2008 at 08:18 AM.
01-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it not spring-loaded? If it is, then pressing it in and rotating the stud ought to work. If it isn't, then you might be looking at drilling it out.
01-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #3

Hey Steward, may I ask why you want to remove the pin? Because you might just get an adapter for your cause. I know I've had quite some adapters from male to female and from small to large... It's not that convenient but maybe better then the chance of damaging your stand.
01-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I suppose it doesn't go all the way thru, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

My only suggestion, like Mike's, is to drill. Drill-bit should be next size down so that you can either reem it or twist without damage. Brass is quite soft. How far to drill - don't know.

Good luck.

01-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had a similar situation. Just lightly center punch the brass pin which will ensure that your drill bit will be properly centered and not walk or skate sideways on you. Then drill the pin with a 1/8" drill bit (small enough to stay with in the boundaries of the pin, yet strong enough to not bend or break). Just drill in twice the thickness of the tube. Then step up to a larger drill bit and repeat the process. Once you feel that the pin's protrusion has been reduced beyond the wall of the tube, place a nut and 2 washers onto the brass fitting. Wrap a small piece of string around the threaded shaft, sandwiched between the 2 washers, squished down by the nut. Now simply pull up on the string (you can tie a loop into the string for a better grip. If it seem like too much force is required / the fitting seems stuck in the tube, pour a little shot of boiling water on the tube (being carefull to not heat up the brass) and try pulling again. This will cause the tube to expand and free the brass fitting. Generally it is just the ticket to counteract the paint on the inside of the tube sticking to the fitting.

Spyglass
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. I finally got it done. I had four of these pins to remove. Two came out quite easily with just some light tapping with a punch (yes, they go straight through), but the other two were an absolute nightmare. Nothing I tried budged these two pins, leading me to post this thread. Drilling was always an option, but I dreaded the notion of potentially damaging the studs. This has happened in the past while trying this tactic with other things (obviously not the best with a drill). I later discovered these two pins (along with associated stud and weight) were glued into place, with some incredibly tough glue. In the end, I simply gave up and worked with the other two.

Now, to explain the purpose of all this. The goal was to make a small boom for my location lighting kit. I had two older, unused, booms with studs and weights. The idea was to salvage parts from those two to build a smaller version for my lightstand bag. To do this, I had to remove the studs and weights (same pin arrangement), cut the arm sections shorter, grind down the stud to fit the thinner arm section (the other stud would have eliminated this step), drill new holes for the pins, apply fresh paint to the weight, and reassemble the entire thing. The overall operation ended very well, with the new boom looking as good as the originals and assembled even better.

stewart