Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Foci - Digital Porter 35 not compatible with DNG and K-7 PEF.

Hi guys,

I am looking into the Digital Porter 35 portable image viwer with 250GB hard drive but was informed by the manufacturer that this unit does not support K-7's PEF files (K-5 PEF files are okay though) and also do not read DNG files from both the K-5 and K-7.

Anyone has this unit and can share some experience with the raw files from K-7, K-5 and K-x?

Thanks
raider

02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I thought that the whole purpose of DNG was to be device independent. Not understanding PEF I can understand but not understanding DNG from a specific manufacturer?

Does anyone know whether DNG files are in fact device dependent?
02-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just for information, this is Digital Foci's reply to my queries. Hopefully this will serve as a useful reference to those who are interested in the product.

Thank you for your interest in the Picture Porter 35 and taking the time to email us with your question.

The .PEF file from the K-5 is supported and can be viewed on the Picture Porter 35. For the K-7, we only have a sample of 1 .PEF file and this one sample file is not able to be viewed on the Picture Porter 35.

Regarding DNG files, the results vary from the DNG files of different cameras. The majority of DNG files that we have tested will show the image, but with incorrect colors/tones. So, it is not an accurate representation. Some DNG files will not show at all. And a very few DNG files are able to display. To be conservative, please consider that the DNG files will be able to be copied and stored on the Picture Porter 35, but cannot be viewed on the device.

We hope that this information is helpful for you.
Please let us know if you have any other questions about the Picture Porter 35.

Sincerely,
Digital Foci Tech Support
02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For that kind of money I would (and did) get a 10" netbook, with FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... on it.

02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. It is such a shame that support for DNG is that lacking....it would have been a handy portable device for traveling.

Looks like a small netbook (or one of those 11" ones) is the next most suitable for this kind of things. I would like to use my 64GB ipad2 but the limited storage plus the inability to backup files to an external storage make things extremely difficult. So a netbook is the way to go I agree.