Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #1

Too Good To Be True??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First of all, I am VERY new to photography in general. I've always enjoyed taking pictures but I never really even knew what kind of camera I was shooting with. Now, I've gotten my first DSLR and it is the Pentax K-x. I'm excited to learn about this beautiful camera and I've already caught LBA... ugh!

So the point of my post... I found this listing on Craigslist and of course I've heard about crazy people using that site to get people alone and stupid things like that. Well, I'm not familiar with the price of cameras or lenses and I just want to know if anyone else thinks this sounds like its too good to be true:

Pentax K-1000 camera plus 5 lenses, Samsonite case, and Sunpak auto144PC external flash.
Lenses are as follows:
Yashica 42-75mm f/3.5-4.5 ML
Takumar (bayonet) 135mm
Vivitar 70-150mm
Pentax F-Zoom 70-200mm
Focal 80-200mm

All for $100

I have emailed the guy and plan to take my dad with me to meet him tomorrow to check out the items but I was just looking to get some knowledgable people's opinions first before making the 45 minute drive to meet this guy.

Thanks!!

03-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the K1000, the Tak bayonet and the F 70-200 are worth a bit more of 100$ i guess. Sounds like a good deal.

check lenses are clear and bright, and diaphragm are snappy.
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I got a deal similar to that about a year ago and it all worked out fine. Sensible to take your father with you, I'm a man and I've taken a burly mate with me when buying second hand stuff before in case of scammers luring me in for a mugging.

Congrats on the kx btw, although I upgraded to a k5 a couple of months ago I still use mine often as it's such a capable camera and so good at what it does.
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, all of those for $100 each or all together? If all together thats a pretty good deal, even if some of the lenses turn out to be useless or broken. If 100 each, you might try looking them up in the lenses section of this forum (has reviews and some price listings) or on ebay. Generally, old zoom lenses aren't quite as good as modern zoom lenses, but old primes (as in, fixed focal length) can be pretty great.

03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sounds like this deal is worth looking into further!

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the K1000, the Tak bayonet and the F 70-200 are worth a bit more of 100$ i guess. Sounds like a good deal.

check lenses are clear and bright, and diaphragm are snappy.
Snappy diaphragm? I don't understand what that means (yeah, I know nothing about cameras... its quite sad).

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I got a deal similar to that about a year ago and it all worked out fine. Sensible to take your father with you, I'm a man and I've taken a burly mate with me when buying second hand stuff before in case of scammers luring me in for a mugging.

Congrats on the kx btw, although I upgraded to a k5 a couple of months ago I still use mine often as it's such a capable camera and so good at what it does.
Initially I had purchased a Canon T3 but then after doing some additional research, the Kx is a better camera and I was able to get it for about $100 cheaper. I took a couple pics last night but I still need to learn the simple things like what ISO means and stuff like that before I can figure out why some of the pictures turned out nicely and others looked like I was using a P & S.
And yeah, I definitely don't think I feel like getting mugged or anything tomorrow (not that any other day would be more acceptable or anything lol). I am also taking my dad because he does know some about cameras in general. He was really into photography when I was younger and I remember him having lenses and flashes attached to his 35mm so he'll know a little bit of what he's looking at with the lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait, all of those for $100 each or all together? If all together thats a pretty good deal, even if some of the lenses turn out to be useless or broken. If 100 each, you might try looking them up in the lenses section of this forum (has reviews and some price listings) or on ebay. Generally, old zoom lenses aren't quite as good as modern zoom lenses, but old primes (as in, fixed focal length) can be pretty great.
It is $100 for everything together. I was just worried that maybe he should be charging like $500 and was just trying to pull something.
03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarah_Ann Quote

Initially I had purchased a Canon T3 but then after doing some additional research, the Kx is a better camera and I was able to get it for about $100 cheaper. I took a couple pics last night but I still need to learn the simple things like what ISO means and stuff like that before I can figure out why some of the pictures turned out nicely and others looked like I was using a P & S.
And yeah, I definitely don't think I feel like getting mugged or anything tomorrow (not that any other day would be more acceptable or anything lol). I am also taking my dad because he does know some about cameras in general. He was really into photography when I was younger and I remember him having lenses and flashes attached to his 35mm so he'll know a little bit of what he's looking at with the lenses.

It is $100 for everything together. I was just worried that maybe he should be charging like $500 and was just trying to pull something.
A hundred for all that really is a bargain. I'll be the first to recommend it, but think about this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Camera/dp...0704950&sr=8-1 as it will teach you a hell of a lot. To check apertures, older lenses have at least two rings if they're fixed focal length, and three if they're zoom. The ring closest to the camera is the aperture, and if you rotate it it should 'click' neatly from stop to stop. If it doesn't move, have a look for a little button on it with an 'a' right next to it and press it in as you turn the ring. Also peer through the lens to look for fine filaments of fungus as that can really ruin a lens (a bit of dust is ok) , and check for oil on the blades - it's bad if there is any.

Have fun with your new camera(s) and lenses, it's an addiction for sure - I've just bought an auto 110 and they don't even make the film for them any more...

Edit: This site has a lot of info on it on how cameras work and what things like iso, aperture and shutter-speed etc do. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

This one is fun if, like me, you enjoy making your own stuff. http://www.diyphotography.net/

And most importantly, you've found one of the best sites for advice and help already
03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an article on buying used lenses. You should read through it and maybe get your father to read it as well. It will at least give you some idea what to look for. One thing I often run into is that the seller knows nothing about the equipment they are selling and make claims or assumptions that are just plain wrong. Not even with ill intent just because they are not knowledgeable about camera equipment.

$100 for that lot is a deal I would take any day, assuming that the lenses are in at least fair shape with no fungus, or scratches. You should test the diaphragm to make sure it moves smoothly, that is the thingy that opens and closes inside the lens. It should snap back quickly when you let go, if not it can stick and your pictures will be over exposed. Even if you don't want all of those lenses, they can be sold on and likely at a profit.

03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Essentially, you want to make sure that all lenses and the camera body are mechanically working - then it would be a good deal...
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I will definitely be checking out the websites and some books. I already love this forum; there's just so much information provided and everyone seems willing to help other people on the forum! I have also thoroughly enjoyed looking at everyone else's pictures in the critique and monthly contest section. One day I will take a picture good enough to enter into the monthly contest.
03-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Info?

Hello Sarah Ann,
Here's a bit of info that hasn't been mentioned so far;
The K1000 is an old-style, no-frills manual body. Built like a tank and will last forever, assuming it's kept clean. But it is a FILM camera. Most Pentax digital bodies use the "D" prefix, K and M (and the LX) are film bodies.
So, unless you plan to shoot film, it is of no use to you. There are many available so the resale price isn't very high, perhaps $50 for a clean, working model.
Of the lenses, I believe the Pentax F 70-200(sic) is really a Pentax F 70-210 f4-5.6.
This is the earliest version of the Pentax auto focus lenses and likely will be the only auto focus lens in the lot. I could be mistaken, but it will be easy to check, just bring your digital body with you.
There's nothing wrong with manual focus lenses overall, many of us use them on digital bodies. But make sure they're all "PK" or "P" mount, or they won't fit on a Pentax body.
The Vivitar zoom has a pretty good rating on the Lens Review here and is a decent zoom range for a short telephoto. It should be an f/3.8 aperture.
The Tak 135 is probably an f/2.5, in it's time it was considered a good portrait lens. Now, with the crop factor, it's more like a 200mm focal length. Very handy to have an f/2.5 200mm(effective). Again, this is an older manual focus, manual aperture lens, so there will be a learning curve to using it properly.
There's a lot of duplication in the lenses offered, three telephoto zooms, a 135mm prime and a short zoom.
If the Pentax F zoom and the Tak 135 are clean and useable, together they're worth about $150-200. So you won't lose money on the deal. But the rest may sit around until you sell them.
I'm not trying to talk you out of the deal, it's your choice. If all the lenses are clean (no scratches on the glass, no fungus) and work properly, you won't lose money. But I tend to not buy "Lots" since there's usually only one or two items I want and a bunch I don't. Then I'm left stuck selling (or trying to!) the rest. With the duplication of the telephoto zooms here, that most surely will happen.
JMO
Ron
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the F70-210. I never use it because I have better lenses but I can't bring myself to sell it either because it is a very good, fast focusing and sharp lens for sure (I also acquired it as part of a package).

If the lenses are in good condition then I'd keep the F70-210 and trade the rest of the gear in at a used camera shop for something you want/need more that way you'll get something you want/need in exchange for items that will otherwise just sit around gathering dust. You will need an adapter to use the Tak 135 on your Kx but it's a good lens.

DO NOT USE THE SUNPAK ON YOUR Kx UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THE VOLTAGE WON"T FRY YOUR ELECTRICS !
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You will need an adapter to use the Tak 135 on your Kx but it's a good lens.
This is incorrect, the OP noted it was a Takumar (bayonet) which is K mount, not M42 so no adapter required.

+1 on not using the flash until it is checked!

I agree with the above if the Pentax F 70 - 210 is in good shape I would keep it and the 135mm Takumar and sell the rest. That is if I didn't already have both of those. Still at $100 even if you end up selling all of it on ebay it is a good deal assuming everything there is in good shape.
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
I am so disappointed, the guy had emailed me back stating the items were still available but when I asked to meet him at a public place so I could see the stuff he never responded again. Maybe I'll find another good deal on some stuff sometime. It kind of stinks because I was actually looking forward to having a film camera.

And since I only have my kit lens and a 50-200mm lens, I was looking to expand my collection a little bit... I guess now I'll have to save up and actually get a decent lens soon

But I do still have a question: I understand the reason behind needing to get the flash checked before using it but how would I actually get one checked? What would they be checking for?

Again, I appreciate the information! I'm going out tomorrow to take some pictures with my dad. I don't have any editing software yet but maybe I'll end up with at least one that will be good enough to post here
03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Checking a flash's trigger voltage involves measuring the voltage between the center pin and the side pin on the flash foot with a digital multimeter (set to its DC voltage setting). You want to see a voltage of less than 24V or you should be using a voltage reducing circuit between the camera and the flash, which usually isn't worth the cost and hassle for low end flashes.

GIMP (free) is worth trying for editing Jpegs: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

I use it and an older version of photoshop on two different computers and they both get the job done in much the same manner for basic and intermediate editing.
03-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Gimp is a v.good PS clone .. and it's free ! However Picasa is also just fine for basic editing and again it's free. There is a lot of excellent free software out there. Just do a search on this forum and I'm sure you'll find plenty of posts where people have asked for info on free or low-cost software.

I'd make sure you set up a proper filing system now or else it will be a real hassle later when you move your shots around (onto a remote HD for example) and then the software can't find them and you have to manually reconnect them all !