Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
olympus OM 20 lenses

I have read all of the old threads on here and was wondering if there were any new miracle ways to use OM 20 lenses on my Pentax Kr?

03-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the OM-20 aka OM-G used standard OM-mount lenses. I've modded a few of those for PK mount. Tools: a Dremel with metal-cutting blade (sorry, I don't have the blade number with me at the moment) and maybe small screwdrivers and that's it. Trick: taper the lens bayonet blades back about 10mm so they fit under the PK mount lugs. Security: cut a slot (about 1.5mm deep and wide, 5mm long) or drill a hole (1.5mm wide) for the PK locking pin to engage.

Before trying this, spend US$10 (or less) or a cheap PK macro tube set. Set the OM lens base into the macro mount and you'll see how the bayonet blades and mount lugs interact, and where and how much to shave from the blades. After tapering the blades, blow away any metal dust. You may want to jam or tape down the lens' stop-down button so you're not always shooting wide-open. The lens can still be used on OM-mount cameras. If such retro-compatibility isn't needed, it's easy to remove the lens base and remove that stop-down button, then replace the base.

This is the cheap and easy way. If your OM lens is rare and special, you could spend about US$100 for a Leitax adaptation. If the lens is special AND you want to go ahead with the lens-chopping anyway, get a cheap OM lens to practice on first.