Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your favourite eBay ballhead

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Background : I have a ballhead that I like most of the time. It does the job. It came with a carbon fiber monopod that I also like. BUT when doing macro, I realize that when I lock the head, it will move down a few degrees every time, making composition difficult. It's worse when I use my macro focus rail, of course.

Requirement : I'd like to get a new ballhead that doesn't have this problem. I believe (never tested) that my focus rail would fit in an Acra-swiss system, so I wouldn't mind going that way. The specs I'm looking for are :

At least 6 pounds of capacity
Panorama (swiveling) base
Adjustable friction on the ball is a bonus
Does not move after being locked
Bubble level a bonus

I've seen some posts about such ballheads, like this recent one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/178609-me...ml#post1867971

It looks like a good option, but I'd like to hear about other people's experience.

Thanks!

03-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend shopping on Amazon and reading the reviews...............not eBay...............

I just spent over 300 on a Really Right Stuff ballhead.................you won't get much for $50, especially given the other features you would like....

maybe try Adaroma or BH in their used section................call them, they'll help...
03-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is my 2 cents worth....
  • Panorama (swiveling) base - If you are intending to use this to pan level, a panning base is useless unless the tripod is perfectly leveled on its own. In order to pan level, the turntable needs to sit on top of the ball, not under it.
  • Adjustable friction on the ball is a bonus - The adjustable friction (knob) is not a bonus, but is essential. This allows the main lever or knob to apply a larger amount of friction to hold and lock the ball in place, thereby preventing the slippage that you are intending to eliminate.
I also hate to say this. but $50 for a ballhead is at the lower end of the spectrum. The mechanical support items, appear to be pretty simple and straight forward - but after using several, the functionality that you are seeking usually only comes with higher priced equipment.

RRS and Acratech are names that come to mind. Here is a video that addresses just about all of your questions...
03-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if you're doing macro have you consider the joby gorillapod ballhead x...it rocks and doesn't move once you have it set
JOBY GorillaPod Ballhead X - Ballhead X stabalizes your heaviest SLR and it allows it to take pictures at any angle

03-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unless you spend ~$300, you will not get a great ball head. I make do with a cheapy like yours - a Smith Victor clone, that is rock steady when set, but does not have silky smooth movements and tends to shift while tightening the pan clamp. Solution: Hold on while tightening to resist the movement or use a bracket that swings 90 degrees for portrait orientation and leave the panning clamp locked.
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a sunwayfoto DB-36, its a great ball head, locks beautifully, has sep pan base, when it locks , it locks solid, it has a good adjustable friction so you can move you camera around and it stays in place when you let go.

SUNWAYFOTO DB-36 40lb Max load Tripod Ball Head Arca Compatible DB36 Sunway NEW | eBay

Its in my thread here as well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html

Last edited by cmohr; 03-16-2012 at 12:23 PM.
03-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just a quick question are you sure it`s the ballhead? I have a bit of droop that I initially thought was the ballhead but in fact turned out to be the camera to quick release plate connection. There are rubber pads on the qr plate, I blame them.

03-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Just a quick question are you sure it`s the ballhead? I have a bit of droop that I initially thought was the ballhead but in fact turned out to be the camera to quick release plate connection. There are rubber pads on the qr plate, I blame them.
Good point, but I checked. I held the setup by the bottom of the plate base (above the ball, if you will) and it did the same.

Thanks for the opinions. Honestly, while I understand that good craftsmanship costs money, I work in an environment that allows me to know manufacturing such a thing as a ball head does not amount to 300$ That's why I'm willing to pay a no-name brand some money if their reputation is good.
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I work in an environment that allows me to know manufacturing such a thing as a ball head does not amount to 300$
How about 149.00 for an angle bracket.
03-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the opinions. Honestly, while I understand that good craftsmanship costs money, I work in an environment that allows me to know manufacturing such a thing as a ball head does not amount to 300$ That's why I'm willing to pay a no-name brand some money if their reputation is good.
No kidding. None of the higher-end ballheads (Kirk, RRS, Markins, Acratech) cost anywhere north of $50 to make and distribute. If they did, those companies wouldn't be in business (or have a profitable reason to be)! However, that makes me think that the HorusBennu probably costs under $10 to make and distribute (for the same profit reason)... and lower labor/overhead costs in Korea (or more likely China, even if it's a Korean brand) is not the only factor that plays into it.

So, where's the difference, and does it matter to you? That's the consideration...

My thoughts:
- Materials: almost certainly the HorusBennu isn't made from the same alloys as others, but that might not make a huge mechanical difference (softer alloys are easier to machine as well)
- Mechanics: my favorite "cheap ballhead discovery" was that a (long discontinued) Benro ballhead used a pointed screw to "hold" the tension by actually screwing into the soft metal of the ball!
- Design: if it's a knockoff, there's almost no cost from designing or improving something. Markins was solely an industrial pump manufacturer in Korea until the owner started knocking off Arca Monoballs, but they've improved the basic design (strength to weight, locking, etc.) to a degree that Arca never did. Their prices rose along with this (see also Feisol tripods)!

Again, this is all academic if you're okay with "the risk" of a $50 ballhead. I think the device itself is so common now that $50 isn't unrealistic for a decent device, but there's a risk that it won't lock well, wears out quickly, leaks grease, has a screw fall off, etc. Of course, the same things can happen with RRS ballheads, but are much less likely and will be quickly handled by RRS (since that $300 includes warranty service).
03-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

You're in luck! Strong, sturdy, reputable manufacturer AND seller. It's a dream come true! I have one myself and am nothing more than a very satisfied customer.

Smith-Victor BH5 1.76mm Ball Head 700346 B&H Photo Video
03-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryosphinx Quote
You're in luck! Strong, sturdy, reputable manufacturer AND seller. It's a dream come true! I have one myself and am nothing more than a very satisfied customer.
It does seem interesting and the reviews are mostly good. Can you comment on the stability of the alignment once you tighten the screws? Will it tilt forward or stay completely put the way you set it? That's the most important thing for me.
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have dissasembles several ball heads from Manfrotto, Arca Swiss, Benro and Fancier (sold under many different names). The price of each closely reflected the build quality and engineering and (most importantly) the real world performance.
I would thus choose a second hand Arca anytime over a new and shiny Benro or even cheaper modell.
Good mechanical engineering is expensive to produce, that is what I witness day in day out in my job.

Ben
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

It does seem interesting and the reviews are mostly good. Can you comment on the stability of the alignment once you tighten the screws? Will it tilt forward or stay completely put the way you set it? That's the most important thing for me.
Here's a quick video. Apologies for the shoddy quality. Best I could do on a P&S.
I'm running a K-5 with DA* 50-135mm. Fairly weighty setup. You can see that it doesn't move a bit, even after vigorous shaking. I didn't demonstrate in the video, but the panning feature works great. The locking knob for that does ramp up friction until it's locked, as it ought to. I highly recommend this ballhead.

One quibble. There's supposed to be a friction adjustment on the ballhead, but it's too sensitive. It's more like having two locking knobs, which isn't too bad. I tightened both in the video to make sure there would be no slipping when shaken. Under normal use conditions, only one knob need be gently tightened.

03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Kryosphinx, I really appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate this! I guess it does work for my purposes. Many thanks, I'll put that ballhead on my list.

Regards.