Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What bag?

hey guys and girls.
slight pickle.... i need a rucksack capable of holding a k-r dlsr body and about 5 lenses ranging from 35mm to 55-300mm also spare batteries and memory cards filters etc etc. also essential is it must be able to carry hiking gear such as waterproof trousers/coat lunch and water tripod sling on side is not a must but would be nice any suggestions my current one is a lowepro shoulder bag which just holds the camera and 2 lenses in need of something more substantial. thanks in advance

03-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Tamrac Expedition series - I have the 5 to the 9. They have the best tripod retention system out there. I have many other bags too, and to be honest, there is no *perfect* bag, so I switch them around based on what I am shooting or where I am going.

http://www.tamrac.com/g_backpacks.htm
03-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks the expedition 8x looks good harness on it looks super comfy! how much extras like lunch water etc does it hold comfortably it doesnt say on the website only mentions camera and lenses
03-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm..the expedition series isn't very good at dual purpose. I use the MAS system to carry things on the sides - like water.

Here is a video with a shot of my husband, with the Expedition 8 on Hadrian's Wall - as we get out of the rain.

If you or I wanted more dual purpose, I would take one of my Lowepro bags, but I would loose the tripod carry.

03-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw one of these in action

Tamrac - Model 5789 Evolution 9

The Evolution series looks like a good compromise, but I would loose the amazing tripod secure method of the Expedition series.

With the expedition series you can *really* cinch down the tripod and it is carried mid-line as you hike.
03-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
haha typical britiah weather. yeah i think id definatly need something similar to the evolution 9 im not to fussed about the tripod straps as ive invented an ingenious way of strapping it to my rucksack i use for the time being using bungee cord! my current hiking bag consists of my camera in a padded lowepro bag put inside a conventional rucksack but would like the security of seperate padded compartment for lenses etc
03-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Unfortunately there seems very little around that offers a decent harness system and hiking/photo storage facilities. I think the best available is currently the range by F Stop or Clik Elite but both are very expensive.

ø F-Stop // Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - 253.236.0070 ø

Clik Elite | Homepage | Adventure Photography Packs/Bags

The Lowepro photo Sport 200 Aw is another option but the harness system doesn't look great to me

Simon

03-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks simon yeh they are a bit pricey not looking to spend a lot really oh well here's for wishful thinking that someone comes out with an idea camera and hiking gear suitable enough
03-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Naneu pro Alpha L Military OPS Alpha L | Naneu Bags . it isn't a true hiking backbag, but I find it very comfortable. I can carry my K-7 with battery gip and 35mm lens attached +16-45 F4 + 80-200 F4.7-5.6 + sigma 28-105 + Tokina 400mm. And that is all in the bottom compartment. The top compartment has then rtoom for lunch jacket etc. And the Laptop case I can put cards in etc. And still there is room to put extention tubes or a macro lens in it's protective case. And you can attach a tripod to it.
But they also have a true hiking backbag with photocompartment. Adventure K5 | Naneu Bags
03-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks macario I did look at the naneu bags before but couldn't find any info on non photo equipment space
03-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like Tamrac bags. Rotsa ruck!
03-28-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #12

Another big fan of Tamrac bags here as well.

Currently using an Expedition 9X and an Evolution 9 depending on what kit I take out.

Have done a comprehensive review of the Evolution 9 on my website here which may help, it may be a while before I get round to doing the Expedition 9X though!
03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Try the Journeyman Pack and overall system from Kinesis Kinesis Photo Gear I have carried this gear over the Overland Track in Tasmania, and my K5 with Sigma 500 f4.5 live inside it normally with room for tripod, other gear and water bladder in external pouch.
03-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you intend to do with the bag?

the reason I ask is that depending on your intended use, the bag might be different.

I have 3 different sized photo backpacks, 2 dedicated shoulder bags, 2 hard cases and one shoulder bag, which not designed for camera gear suits my needs.

Here is the point. I use the hard cases to store my 2 MF lens collections (1 case for legacy K mounts, 1 case for M42 mounts)

the 3 backpacks are used to either hike into the woods with gear or transport gear from home to a temporary base, which is secure (hotel, cottage, etc) where I then take only what I need, in a shoulder bag.

One of the backpacks is set up with a pouch for a laptop also, but at present holds the chargers, ipad, batteries etc, as I no longer travel with a laptop.

I find that even a small photo backpack like the phototrekker by lowepro, can be bothersome in cities, so my real method of going to a city is a small shoulder bag, that holds one body with lens and perhaps a second lens, and I have one body in hand., or I take only 1 body and 3-4 lenses (usually in this case it is either M42 or K mount)

I walk around either switching bodies (one with a 10-20 the other with a 28-75) or lenses when i take the legacy gear, but only rarely do I take everything I bring on a trip on a single outing.

I NEVER take all my gear (45 lenses 4 dslr bodies) on a single trip.
03-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
The sole use of the bag would be for a long days hiking and keeping the camera and equipment safe at the same time probably only going to be 3 lenses long telephoto, kit lens and a 50mm spare batteries and maybe a tripod but most likely a monopod. Enough storage space for drink pack lunch and a coat/waterproof trousers. It will not be used in cities etc I will just stick to my shoulder bag for cities and zoos etc