Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #1

AF 540 zoom seems noisy

I just received my 540 flash a couple days ago and am still learning about all the features. I have a question about the sound it is making when it zooms. When it zooms out there is a small whirring sound. But when it zooms back the noise is louder and it almost sounds like it is grinding. This is my first auto zoom, so is this a normal sound or do I have a defective flash. I thought it would be nice to get some users feedback before I phoned Pentax. Thanks for your help.

01-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder why. Yes my 540FGZ had noisy zoom too, but the decade old Metz 40MZ-2 is rather quiet. Sure it can be done.
01-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have three of them and they're all pretty noisy. However, my older Minolta flash units were about the same and they worked just fine for several years (until I sold them), so maybe that's just typical of hard plastic body construction with little or no sound absorbing materials.

stewart
01-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
thank you for your answer. by the looks of the owners manual, which looks rather skimpy for such a feature filled flash. its going to take me quite a while to learn everything that I can do with the unit. I just want to make sure I am starting off with a unit that is not defective.

01-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Of course, since I haven't actually heard your flash to determine if it physically sounds the same as mine, there is obviously no way for me to say for certain nothing is wrong. However, the noise you describe sounds, just from the description, very much the same as mine. By the way, don't forget that about half of the info you'll need for your flash is covered in the camera's owners manual. You should have both manuals open when trying to figure things out. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

stewart