Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax right angle finder A

How much are they worth? Found 2 on ebay for $550 or so each.

Bought a Seagull RA finder. It is pretty crappy. Just doable, but looks like it is ready to fall apart at anytime.

Lots of old film era Pentax RA finders cheap on ebay. Will they work on dslrs?

Thanks

03-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$175 to $250 is more realistic for the A in an auction listing. The M is close, maybe $25 less.

PENTAX Refconverter A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

You can learn quite a bit about the history of K-Mount gear on Bojidar Dimitrov's K-Mount Page

There are plenty of historical resources on Screwmount available by some simple Google queries.

From Boz's K-Mount Page
"Viewfinder Attachments The viewfinder attachments (eye-cups, magnifiers, refconverters, etc.) that were designed specifically for the M42 Pentax bodies carried the suffix "-S" (probably standing for "screw-mount"). When Pentax introduced the K-series K-mount bodies, they kept the viewfinder attachment slot unchanged. They did, however, change the external design of the viewfinder accessories a little bit, and changed the name suffix from "-S" to "-K". However, to stress the fact that the accessories are fully compatible with each-other, for some items the suffix was completely dropped while for others "-KS" was used. So, if we take a hypothetical viewfinder accessory VA, its name could be Va, VA-S, VA-K, or VA-KS, and it will fit every M42 Pentax body and every K-series K-mount body.
With the introduction of the M-series K-mount bodies, the frames of the viewfinder openings became a bit larger and all viewfinder accessories were redesigned accordingly. The names of these newer accessories (incompatible with the earlier bodies) received the suffixes "-M" and later on "-A". Fortunately, the design of the viewfinder frame has not been altered since the M bodies, so all "-M" and "-A" accessories fit all newer bodies."

Refconverters
A refconverter is a right-angle finder. It attaches to the viewfinder eyepiece and allows viewing while looking down instead of straight through. This is very useful when the camera is close to the ground.
  • (The basic) refconverter shows an image that is vertically correct but laterally reversed. This makes it inconvenient to view numbers, and while it fits all K-series bodies, it is recommended for use only with the K1000 and KM.
  • refconverter-II keeps the image vertically and horizontally correct. It fits all K-series bodies.
  • refconverter-M shows a correct image and in addition has a built-in 2X magnifier that is activated via a sliding switch. It fits all K-mount bodies except the K-series.
  • refconverter-A is identical to refconverter-M, except for a slightly broader "field of view" so as to show the LCDs below the viewfinder in the Program-series bodies.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may be a little high, I paid around $70 for mine.
03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
$175 to $250 is more realistic for the A in an auction listing. The M is close, maybe $25 less
This is correct range for "A"-- Ebay auction in today's market if one is listed - the "A" is slower to list than other versions -- keep a look out on the marketplace/put a "item wanted" post on also.

$70 is a steal--nice going--I paid twice that and have no regrets---nice build/optics/mag/diopter/rotation/metal mount---very useful in a variety of ways.

Last edited by jcp5; 03-30-2012 at 10:08 AM.
03-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
$70 is a steal--nice going--I paid twice that and have no regrets---nice build/optics/mag/diopter/rotation/metal mount---very useful in a variety of ways.
I paid $90 for a Refconverter II - the second K-body version that doesn't reverse the image and allows 2x magnification. I wish I could find the screw-in eyecup, thoiugh.
03-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

Keep looking, i got one on ebay for about 40 for and it works just great on my K-x

Right Angle Finder 1x-2.5x for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony (320612438166)
Member id fotocola2000
03-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a few of them. I always have one in my camera bag. They are indispensable. I use one almost every time I am out.

03-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
$70 is a steal--nice going--I paid twice that and have no regrets
Yep, I watched for over three months before I jumped on this one. Delighted to have it.
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I paid $90 for a Refconverter II - the second K-body version that doesn't reverse the image and allows 2x magnification. I wish I could find the screw-in eyecup, thoiugh.
I had the same issue and ended up buying a badly dented Ref II just for the rubber eyecup. Sold the dented Ref II afterwards, it worked fine just looked ugly.

Phil.
03-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I had the same issue and ended up buying a badly dented Ref II just for the rubber eyecup. Sold the dented Ref II afterwards, it worked fine just looked ugly.

Phil.
I started shooting with this on an every day basis to see if the mag would help - it's uncomfortable right now, but WTH, its better than changing to a TLR (hmmmm, I wonder if that would work?)