Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

The Sirui T-005 is a very compact aluminum tripod when folded up but not good for a decent size telephoto.

03-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gitzo Series 00 carbon tripod, toss the center column and Really Right Stuff BH 25 ball head. Have somebody machine down the plate the ball head mounts onto so the head clamp knob is unobstructed. Pricey but the lightest and stongest option for full tripod functionality and a lightweight dslr. Will work great for most all the lenses you have. It is important to carry a bag to throw rocks/sand in to hang from the tripod to keep stable.

This is my deep backcountry tripod which I use with the 35mm dslrs and compact primes. Supports this easily and securely with the added hanging weight. If you want pictures I have it.

It is all about support. 75% of my work is on a tripod. When the light is good for shooting you almost always require slower shutter speeds. Otherwise you miss shots or blow the ISO too high because you have to use small apertures to keep the DOF under control. I easily have 4K USD invested in camera support. You can have the sharpest lens in the world but if you don't start at the foundation you will never get sharp results. People invest in these mid range dslrs and glass but never get the shots out of them they are capable of because they skip or skimp on support. They do this though because they are tourists not photographers. So all their fancy gear does is let them print crappy pictures larger. But you still have to be experienced in photography to know what to do. This only comes from learning and practice.

If you get serious about taking pictures you will never be happy with inferior support. As so much photography is done from tripods a inferior tripod will raise your frustration faster than a screaming kid.

Even a bean bag is far better support than a table top tripod or gorrilla pod style. And bean bags can go to your location empty taking up less space and weight.

Monopods, I hate them. The best thing they are good for is long heavy glass where the added weight of a tripod is much more of a significant contributor. When you could carry just a small bit more weight for compact systems and have the option to take exposures up to 30sec why wouldn't you? Throw out a pair of sandles and bring a real tripod; throw out your water filter and bring iodine tablets, etc.

Last edited by atlnq9; 03-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
03-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
well now you got me back into considering both tripods and monopods.... I'm glad I started this thread a couple months early.
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Take my recommendations with a grain of salt though. I would rather come back with a publishable image and blisters all over my feet and no shower for a week than be comfortable on a trip. But I take trips to take photos, not honeymoons... I don't have to keep anybody else happy. In fact it is better if you smell like $h*t on the plane back because then the passenger next to you asks to change seats.

Last edited by atlnq9; 03-31-2012 at 02:05 PM.
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at this:

Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | College Cameras

It is cheaper in Germany, as Hama is a German company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_GmbH_%26_Co_KG

I don't know whether Hama is selling on the US market, but as they probably don't manufacture it themselves, it may be sold in some contries branded differently. Regarding its price, it got very good reviews; many users say it is better than other tripods for more than twice the price.

I ordered it yesterday (€ 29 including shipping), so in a week or 2 I may be able to tell whether it's worth to buy it.

EDIT: There are more threads about the same subject, you may look at

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/142899-good-enough-backpacking-tripod.html

Last edited by RKKS08; 03-31-2012 at 02:14 PM.
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
hyt
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I easily have 4K USD invested in camera support. You can have the sharpest lens in the world but if you don't start at the foundation you will never get sharp results. People invest in these mid range dslrs and glass but never get the shots out of them they are capable of because they skip or skimp on support. They do this though because they are tourists not photographers. So all their fancy gear does is let them print crappy pictures larger. But you still have to be experienced in photography to know what to do. This only comes from learning and practice.
Take my recommendations with a grain of salt though. I would rather come back with a publishable image and blisters all over my feet and no shower for a week than be comfortable on a trip. But I take trips to take photos, not honeymoons... I don't have to keep anybody else happy. In fact it is better if you smell like $h*t on the plane back because then the passenger next to you asks to change seats.
Good advice but that is what sets pros apart from us "tourists" that spend too much on a dslr and don't have the "skills" to do anything more than take poor "pictures which we can print too large". But to us the pictures are good and that is what matters to me.
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I envy your destination as I would love to see some mayan ruins sometime in my life.
And the reefs! Those in the know (not me) claim they are some of the most spectacular in the world. I scuba dive. My other camera is an Olympus weather resistant Stylus P&S with built-in color correction for under the waves, along with an OEM underwater case pressure tested to 40m. I'd love to take my Pentax SLR with me beneath the waves, but an equivalent pressure resistant underwater case runs close to US$2,000. I got the Olympus case direct from Hong Kong for just over US$100. If I could afford the difference, trust me I would be visiting Belize!

03-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #23

Original Poster
But I take trips to take photos, not honeymoons... I don't have to keep anybody else happy.
and therein lies the rub. i don't publish, but i want to take pictures as if i did, or at least strive to that level. if i don't keep...."other people" happy, though, i don't get to take as many pictures. or i pay for it in... other ways, which on a honeymoon is unacceptable.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
And the reefs!
We're definitely going diving/snorkeling. won't be taking the camera for that adventure though

now i'm considering saving up a little longer for the vanguard alta 225ct from @RKKS08 's helpful link. it fits all my criteria but price.

but then i run into the problem of having two decent tripods, when i'm only ever going to use one at a time. why is this not simple?
03-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
and therein lies the rub. i don't publish, but i want to take pictures as if i did, or at least strive to that level. if i don't keep...."other people" happy, though, i don't get to take as many pictures. or i pay for it in... other ways, which on a honeymoon is unacceptable.

We're definitely going diving/snorkeling. won't be taking the camera for that adventure though

now i'm considering saving up a little longer for the vanguard alta 225ct from @RKKS08 's helpful link. it fits all my criteria but price.

but then i run into the problem of having two decent tripods, when i'm only ever going to use one at a time. why is this not simple?

Its no rub really...you are going on a honeymoon and what a place to be going for such a special occasion and it just so happens that you will be taking some excellent gear for any photo opportunities that arise and of course with a location such as Belize they will. Also how great that your better half enjoys these kinds of things as do you so yeah... you better keep her happy From my own experience my wife fully supports my hobby even though I tend to get a little crazy about it at times, but she always knows that she is more important so she's cool with it.

In 2009 when I went with my wife back to her country of Vietnam for 3 weeks I experienced some fantastic things there but to my surprise (I did not know this at the time) Vietnam has coral reefs as well...some rather beautiful ones and there has been a recent push within the last 5 years or so for conservation of many of the country's natural wonders. So the impromptu snorkeling adventure was one of the highlights of our trip and I highly recommend coraling to anyone who has the opportunity to do so.

As far as the Alta+225ct that is a great choice...probably what I would have chosen if I didn't get such a sweet deal on the Alta+255ct / acratech ultimate combo I got on PF market place. This series is well made...and though I can't say about the +225, I find the +255 to be very stable for its size (though it is .76lbs heavier) and very transportable. Seeing as how the +225 is much smaller than your current set up...if you get out enough there should be plenty of opportunities to hike around or travel with the smaller one Regardless in the end you will make the right choice for your needs.
03-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Shooting Stick like this cheapo Cabelas Mono Pod ($34.99). It's easy to carry and adjusts to 22", so you can pack it in your luggage.

Works great.

Cheers... M
04-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday the tripod mentioned in my earlier post arrived - and first tests (at home, not out in the field) were a positive surprise.

As I suspected Hama has re-branded an existing tripod, my investigations seem to show the Hama Traveller Mini Pro is a special edition of the discontinued Slik Sprint Pro Travel Tripod with Ball head. They look absolutely the same (even in close detail) with only 3 modifications:
1) The name has changed
2) The angle of the legs is not "multi position", but fixed.
3) The specified maximum load is nearly 3 times of the Slik (10 kg).
4) It goes at less than half the price.

The first tests show, that the 10 kg load should better not be used with the 2 thinnest extensions or the centre column extended - but no problem with a K200D + Kiron MC7 TC + Takumar [Bayonet] 2.8/135. Also, using it as a repro tripod works, despite the fixed angles of the legs, if I use at least the first extension. Maybe with a Nikon or Canon FF there would not be enough room between the legs; but if you carry as much weight with you, the additional weight of a heavier tripod probably wouldn't matter.

The disadvantages were known to me before I ordered (no spikes, no quick release, limited heigh), and neglected because of the low weight, the low price, and multiple very good user reviews in the UK and in Germany.

I think at the current best price - € 27.98 (= US$ 36.56) including 19% VAT and shipment within Germany - it cannot be beaten.

EDIT: It is not my only tripod - I own a Velbon VS-3 (which I bought used in very good condition back in 1986) and applied a Bilora 1150 ball head with quick release. This combination is nothing to write home about (but sturdy enough for my equipment). However, because of size and weight, I think all these years it left my home not more often than 3-4 times. That's why the additional one.

EDIT 2:
If someone is interested in the specs and can't find them, here they are:

Weight including ball head 740 g = 1.6 lbs
Maximum load 10000 g = 22.0 lbs
Transport length 42.5cm = 16.7 in
Minimum heigh 40 cm = 15.7 in
+1 ext. 60 cm = 23.6 in
+2 ext. 81 cm = 31.9 in
+3 ext. 102 cm = 40.2 in
centre column adds max. 16.2cm = 6.4 in

Weights are taken from specs, lengths measured by me.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #27

Original Poster
so someone tell me why i should not to get the Sirui T1005x.
at $117, folded- 13.4 inches, weight- 2.2 lbs., and max possible load- 22lbs, I can't find a single tripod that beats it on price and portability. Only setback I can see is max extended height is 51.4 inches, but that's not a huge deal breaker.

Also interested in the Redged TSA 424, and Sirui N-1004.
04-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
so someone tell me why i should not to get the Sirui T1005x.
at $117, folded- 13.4 inches, weight- 2.2 lbs., and max possible load- 22lbs, I can't find a single tripod that beats it on price and portability. Only setback I can see is max extended height is 51.4 inches, but that's not a huge deal breaker.

Also interested in the Redged TSA 424, and Sirui N-1004.
Nothing and no one is going to stop you from buying this but you definitely are not going to get what you think you are getting. Even Sirui website rates this tripod at 4Kg not 10Kg you've stated above and even the 4Kg rating is being generous imo. This is a 5 section tripod whose largest diameter tube is 22mm or 7/8in, the thinnest is mere 10mm or 3/8in in diameter. That's only slightly thicker than a wooden pencil! And it's short, it's short even with the centre column extended completely. If you are so taken by this tripod's portability, buy it. But when you come home from your honeymoon, you will probably never take it out of the case again.

Edit: Clicking on the link provided above took me to T-005 instead of T-1005. This one is slightly beefier but still much too optimistic with the max support rating of 10Kg and it's still short. Rest of my comments about the T-005 are no less applicable to this one, imho.

You should think about the luggage that you are going to take with you and get the beefiest tripod that will fit inside. I think the biggest challenge is getting the tripod to your destination and back, once you are there you can take it out and carry it with you or set it up in a corner of your hotel room.

Last edited by excanonfd; 04-11-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: wrong tripod
04-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #29

Original Poster
Ah. Exactly the kind of alternate perspective i was looking for. Thank you, I knew there was a catch that I wasn't seeing. the research continues.
04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I bought this Dolica tripod over the Christmas holidays because I wanted a tripod that can be transported with relative ease: ZX600B300 - Dolica It's still a short tripod but significantly longer than the Sirui that you've been looking at but as a travel tripod, I think it's sufficient. The tripod is about 23" long with the supplied ball head, the legs by themselves are slightly longer than 20". I've mentioned that taking the tripod to your destination and back is the hardest part, if you remove the ball head from the legs, you can pack this tripod into any airline approved carry-on luggage. I am not pushing this Dolica CF tripod whatsoever, If you can find a similar tripod whose head can be removed, you aren't as limited as you might have thought in selecting a light weight tripod that you can use even after your honeymoon.

Food for thought,