Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #31

Original Poster
thank you everyone for your time so far. i'm still searching though, so i have a few more questions, i've also expanded my price range just a little as my search has continued.
Anyone have one of these transfunctional tripods that converts to a monopod? I am skeptical of the concept but the tripods have some solid specs. Been considering these two a lot.
benro 0691 - has a slight edge in advertised max load
Giottos 9254 - has a slight price advantage

i have also seen the benro travel flat and found those intriguing. anyone have one of those?

04-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The extra load capacity of the Benro makes it much better for a DSLR imo. I have a tripod rated at 6kg and I wouldn't want a lower rating.

I have the photoclam PT024 Photo Clam PT024 Pro Gold 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod PC30-PT024 and I love it (tested and purchased in a store in Taiwan). I need to do a proper review sometime but it's 1kg with a lightweight head and perfect for every small prime that I have. The fold back legs (same as the two linked tripods) are great and it goes everywhere attached to my backpack. It's more expensive and you'll also need a $60-80 head. I prefer the Benro out of your two links but I would research the head since it's included and it might not work well for you.
04-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
thank you everyone for your time so far. i'm still searching though, so i have a few more questions, i've also expanded my price range just a little as my search has continued.
Anyone have one of these transfunctional tripods that converts to a monopod? I am skeptical of the concept but the tripods have some solid specs. Been considering these two a lot.
benro 0691 - has a slight edge in advertised max load
Giottos 9254 - has a slight price advantage

i have also seen the benro travel flat and found those intriguing. anyone have one of those?
just a quick thought - have a look at the new "2" series from benro as they increased the monopod height to be more useful

the previous series that has the mono/tripod in one, has a monopod that is way too short for proper usage for an average - tall person

im only 177cm and i cannot imagine crouching down 30cm if i wanted to use the monopod feature (along with getting backpain!)
04-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
that is a nice option. not sure how i missed it. now it's one of my front runners.

04-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

it's not a name brand and adorama/BH just started carrying it but I can't think of anything that I've been disappointed with. It will be at least $100 more expensive (buy the head separately) than the benro but it will also be about a lb lighter due to CF legs. My plan is to get a heavier duty tripod sometime so I optimized this one as a travel pod since I'm always on the move with a daypack.
04-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
it's not a name brand and adorama/BH just started carrying it but I can't think of anything that I've been disappointed with. It will be at least $100 more expensive (buy the head separately) than the benro but it will also be about a lb lighter due to CF legs. My plan is to get a heavier duty tripod sometime so I optimized this one as a travel pod since I'm always on the move with a daypack.
the weight and portability is what is so appealing to it. I realized last night that I was thinking about this purchase just in terms of my recent trip, but actually I'll be traveling quite a bit in the next couple years so it makes more sense to get this tripod right from the beginning. of course, that doesn't mean i have an unlimited budget, so the photo clam is looking really good.

would you still buy the photo clam over the oben CT2410 which weighs a little more and costs a little more but also gives you more max height and max load?
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

It depends on your needs imo. The Oben is definitely a sturdier tripod but it's also more than a little heavier. And it doesn't look like the legs fold back 180deg. If that's true then it's going to be a lot taller (min height) when extended.

04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #38

Original Poster
Not to continue to put you on the spot, but I am valuing your experience with this tripod right now.

How is the photoclam's ability to handle crappy conditions? i know some brands promote their legs' dust-proof water resistance/ outdoorsy-ness but can't see the same claim on the photoclam.
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorillapod vote

If you're going to be in the jungle a Gorillpod would be best as you can wrap the legs around limbs, same goes for any urban setting. If you have a planned shooting list and you know exactly where you're going to be shooting a normal travel tripod (your choice varies by budget) would be okay...but imo the Gorillapod is versatile and extremely portable for any /most unexpected uses (it's your imagination that'll expand the uses)
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Not to continue to put you on the spot, but I am valuing your experience with this tripod right now.

How is the photoclam's ability to handle crappy conditions? i know some brands promote their legs' dust-proof water resistance/ outdoorsy-ness but can't see the same claim on the photoclam.
I have nothing else to compare it against but I've used it on the beach and in the ocean several times. The only issue is that it's a little gritty for awhile even with a good washing. Perhaps there is a cool system that is really easy to clean but I'm guessing this is pretty common for tripods.
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #41

Original Poster
alright with this information i think it's almost decision time. The big 3 are as follows:

1. Photo Clam PT024- 56.3"h / 16.1" folded/ 1.8 lbs. $270
2. Benro travel Flat C0180T- 61.4"h / 17.3" folded/ 1.8 lbs. $285
3. Benro Transfuctional C0681T- 61"/ 17.5" folded/ 2.5 lbs. $260 (see below)

1. This has price, portability, and weight advantages but seems to lack some of the ruggedized options the Benros come with- like spiked feet, advertised dust/water resistance, and doesn't mention anti-twist legs.
2. The travel flat has the weight and portability of the Photo Clam with extra height and the ruggedized features and anti-twist legs, but the legs are limited in their deployment and it doesn't offer the same flexibility.
3. The transfunctional is a little heavier, but can be turned into a monopod and has the flexibility of the Photoclam's legs with the ruggedness of Benro. Now, the only way this fits in my budget is to buy it from a chinese seller on ebay. I have heard only positive things about this in my research, but it's still something i'm weary of.

I think the front runner at the moment is the travel flat with the Photoclam in a close second. As an aside, I am pretty set on a photoclam head as it seems everyone has good things to say about them.
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

alright with this information i think it's almost decision time. The big 3 are as follows
I just bought a Benro C2691 w/ B1 ballhead off Ebay. for $360 from China. After some reservations and a forum post I felt confident in the purchase. They are made in China, thus keeping the price down if they are shipped directly to the US. 17.7" folder, 3.8 lbs. around 60" high and supports 26 lbs. Covert to a monopod and has 180 degree legs that fold up over the ballhead. I have not received it yet so I can't speak from personal experience but it looks like a great tripod to me.
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Legs not folding 180deg backwards would be a deal breaker personally for me with #2. Unless I don't understand the measurements that should add 3-4inches when you attach a ball head. this would pretty much be a requirement for this class of tripod for me.

the photoclam legs are anti-twist.
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd recommend the "trek pod go". I've owned trek pods for many many years and swear by them. The trek pod go collapses small enough to fit into a carry on, the legs fold out so you can use it as a tripod (tho I wouldn't want to walk away from it) and it's an excellent hiking staff. It's helped my 60 + old knees over logs, stone walls and the other obstacles in the north east woods. I'm on my third, (one stolen and one worn out) and if this one gets stolen I'll get another. Excellent product. trek pod

NaCl(almost never go shooting without it)H2O
04-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'd recommend the "trek pod go". I've owned trek pods for many many years and swear by them. The trek pod go collapses small enough to fit into a carry on, the legs fold out so you can use it as a tripod (tho I wouldn't want to walk away from it) and it's an excellent hiking staff. It's helped my 60 + old knees over logs, stone walls and the other obstacles in the north east woods. I'm on my third, (one stolen and one worn out) and if this one gets stolen I'll get another. Excellent product. trek pod

NaCl(almost never go shooting without it)H2O
I like this approach, as well, except my 'pod' of choice is the Cabela's Mono-Shooting Pod . At around $40 and suitcase packable, it's not fussy and works well for me.

Cheers...