Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #1

Modifying a Soligor C/D7 to get a focuser for special lenses

On my website I've issued an article about an old tele-/macrokonverter from Soligor, model C/D7, which can easily be modified to be used as a focusing unit for lenses from enlargers. The article is german but the pictures show everything. I've removed all the lenses of the Soligor C/D7.

http://www.oxly3.de/?p=10096

Tom

03-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good tutorial!

I tried modifying a similar item, an HCE Vari-Close-Up macroconverter, but the space for inserting enlarger lenses (ELs) is very constricted. Changing lenses or even adjusting the aperture is difficult. So I found a cheap dealer on eBay selling 17-35mm M42 focusing helicoids; mine was US$59 shipped from China to California. Longer helicoids cost a bit more, but this one allows infinity focus for ELs in the 60-90mm range or longer with the addition of a short M42 macro tube.

At this moment, I have a Vivitar-LU 75/3.5 lens mounted with this chain of adapters:
lens --> M39-M42 ring --> helicoid --> 6mm-thick tube --> wide-flange M42-PK --> camera
This is one of my favorite headshot portrait setups. Total cost (including lens, excluding camera): about US$75. It actually doesn't quite reach infinity focus. For that, I'll either pull the macro tube, or use a narrow-flange M42-PK adapter.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-31-2012 at 03:24 PM.
04-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've translated my article. Better got to this link.

Modifying a Soligor C/D7 to get a helical focuser for darkroom lenses.

Tom