Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Ben, for the technically perfect reply. I couldn't agree with you lesser. There have always been (3) camps to the "Filter or not to Filter" issue. a) High Quality Filter always on the Lens, b) No Filter at all, c) Filter only in high risk environments, otherwise shoot w/o one.
A high quality coated filter is always the right and obvious choice Ben. So I use the best B&W or a Hoya Pro 1 Protector all the time on my Lenses. But think of the situation where i would use a CPL or a GND some half a dozen times in a year. So I decided to experiment with the low cost ones from China - prices attached as above. You bet even for these I did some research on the net, and came out a winner. Of course they are not coated, of course I will not use them against a light source and of course I will be mindful of situations causing ghosting.
What I am saying is low cost need not be "cheap", like my 3rd Party Batteries bought from Amazon for $ 9 when the original cost $ 48. And these have lasted me for over (3) years now and still going strong. Thanks for all the input Ben.
Regards. Bipin.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada.

01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree with those who suggest against a CPL on an ultrawide under most conditions. If you get one, get a good one. They are cheap relative to the price of a good lens, which becomes a not-so-good lens with a poor filter mounted.
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I bought a 58mm Hoya CPL on eBay for $20. The same one goes for ~35-40 on B&H. Seems to do the job well. It gives a slightly warm tint to the image but nothing too prevalent. Easily fixable in PP if need be. IQ-wise it looks fine, did a few comparison shots and the only difference was the tint. I haven't tried it in direct sunlight yet (the comparison shots were shot out the window on a cloudy day) so I can't say anything about that. Hopefully it's not too bad with flare and all.
01-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #19

Beware of eBay hucksters

This seems to be a constant warning but beware of any eBay vendors especially out of Hong Kong. They see no problem with using the "bait-n-switch" practice to dupe customers from overseas. They know that eBay doesn't police them and that victims (i.e. suckers) won't waste their time returning anything. Also, these people have an endless source of counterfeit manufacturers that are capable of stamping "Leica" on a soda bottle bottom. If their reputation catches up with them they just swap a vowel and consonant in the name and they are back in business.