Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I love my Retro 10; looking forward to my first long trip with it.
I mostly use it in the city and when doing concert shoot, the bag is very discreet for those situations.

04-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #17

Original Poster
hmmm, domke f5xz (c but with wax) or think tank 5 ...
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just put into use a Temba Large Messenger bag, and it is proving its self to be very good. It holds my K5 with battery grip, four lenses and a Metz 50 all very nicely. If you don't have a battery grip, and only want to cary two lenses the small or tiny could just be the right fit. The small is really only a little smaller, 1" inch in two dimensions, so the tiny may be even a better fit for your needs. I know the zippered flap and quality build are two bright spots for me. Look at their website for specifications and customer reviews on B&H and Amazon. I purchased mine from B&H as they are competitive on prices, a great merchant, plus they support this Forum. YMMV
04-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just read a review from amazon.com in regards of the think tank 5. Excellent bag but the strap is short if you want to do cross shoulder.not sure if that is relevant to you but just decided to write in in.
Good luck in finding your perfect camera bag.

04-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
thanks for that reply xanis because i DO cross shoulder (else it slides of to easly, i don't have biiiiig shoulders)
04-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Believe it or not I am pleased with my case logic slrc 202

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TZWNF0/ref=asc_df_B001TZWNF01961868?smid=ATVPDK...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I have several other bags to include a Tarmac velocity 9, and the case logic is current what I use with 3 lenses.
04-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Check out the Lowepro Classified 160. I pack mine in my suitcase and load the equipment that I will need for the day when I reach my destination. I have really not found anything as protective that can also carry my DA*60-250 in such a small bag. The slit top can be a little fiddly sometimes when removing or replacing camera or lens but it also is harder to dump stuff out of the bag. We just got back from a Cruise and I carried the K5 with 18-135, DA 12-24 and DA 55-300 along with extra batteries passports and other stuff. It worked great. I believe they are about $85 now.

04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Just read a review from amazon.com in regards of the think tank 5. Excellent bag but the strap is short if you want to do cross shoulder.not sure if that is relevant to you but just decided to write in in.
Good luck in finding your perfect camera bag.
Never found it a problem with the 10 and i'm 1,78 meters so is the strap on the 5 shorter?
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have a Retro 5 and it has some pretty insane capacity for such a small bag. I don't have the 18-135mm (3.0"), but I can tell you my K-5 with 55-300mm (4.4") mounted and hood reversed fits perfectly in the Retro 5. And when I say perfectly I mean that the back of the k-5 is flush with the top of the bag. This still allows me to have two lenses in pouches to either side of the center. However, I can get even more in there. The expandable pocket (the large pocket on the side) is described on the ThinkTank site as being able to carry a small DSLR body. Indeed, I can carry my Pentax km in this pocket, but I can also fit my Pentax DA Limited Lens case, which means I can load up at least three more lenses. All told that's 6 lenses in the Retrospective 5. Of course, that total can only work with some smaller lenses. Luckily, Pentax has many to choose from.

Despite all that space I typically just load up three lenses including the one mounted. Oh, and I always use the strap cross shoulder and have never had a problem. I'm 5'11". I just adjusted the strap to its longest point and with it cross shoulder the bag rests low on my rump (sorry, best I can figure to describe this). I don't know what qualifies as "too short", but that's way too low for me. I usually like mine resting near the small of my back.

Last edited by wasser; 04-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.
04-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
I have a Retro 5 and it has some pretty insane capacity for such a small bag. I don't have the 18-135mm (3.0"), but I can tell you my K-5 with 55-300mm (4.4") mounted and hood reversed fits perfectly in the Retro 5. And when I say perfectly I mean that the back of the k-5 is flush with the top of the bag.
That was one reason I went for the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 over the Retro 5. One of my must-haves was the 55-300mm mounted on the camera, with hood in place (not reversed).
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That was one reason I went for the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 over the Retro 5. One of my must-haves was the 55-300mm mounted on the camera, with hood in place (not reversed).
You can actually get it in there with hood mounted and the bag flap closed, but it bulges a bit. However, I use my own hood which is slightly shorter so it only bulges a little bit.
04-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. I had my mind set on the Lowepro Classified 160AW but then I doubted whether it could accommodate the camera with vertical grip. Not having a local one to test, I chickened out.

I recently bought an almost new Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home from FleaBay for $65 (local pick-up). I like it. It can accommodate a K7 with vertical grip, a DA* 16-50 attached to the body, a DA* 50-135mm, and an AF540FGZ, and still has some room for spare batteries, memory cards, Sto-Fen,.... It's possible to add a DA 12-24mm although it then becomes very tight.

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm surprised that noone has mentioned the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. I had my mind set on the Lowepro Classified 160AW but then I doubted whether it could accommodate the camera with vertical grip. Not having a local one to test, I chickened out.

I recently bought an almost new Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home from FleaBay for $65 (local pick-up). I like it. It can accommodate a K7 with vertical grip, a DA* 16-50 attached to the body, a DA* 50-135mm, and an AF540FGZ, and still has some room for spare batteries, memory cards, Sto-Fen,.... It's possible to add a DA 12-24mm although it then becomes very tight.
I heavily considered the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home before going with the ThinkTank Retro 5. I think I would have been happy either way.
04-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #29

Original Poster
the crumplers do seem nice, but i'll have to check where i could get them :-S (in europe)
04-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolf666 Quote

The lowepro exchange messenger I have seen already too (in a local shop), but this thing has no padding at all
That's the beauty of it! Plus, you can add as much padding as you'd like, later.

It folds flat in a travel bag taking up almost no room. In the field, you can split a pair of socks, place each in a small zip-lock bag, then use them to line the bottom of the bag... instant padding. As to size: it easily accomodates a K-5 with DA 21 mounted, plus a 10-17 (in its case), an FA 43 (in its bag), a DA 55-300 (in its case) and an assortment of extras (batteries, note pad, SD cards, pen, lens brush, etc).

If you wish to lug around another dedicated bag that needs watching and screams camera gear, that's fine. I prefer 'discrete, light and versatile' when I travel.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-05-2012 at 06:17 AM.