Who makes your monopod?
Manfrotto, model 679b.

04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
UPDATE

There comes a times when you have to laugh at yourself for being so stupid, as I will show in a moment.

The Manfrotto 679b monopod, for which I have been asking for help, comes with a "built-in" 1/4" - 3/8" and the brass 3/8" screw is, get this, retractable !!
It is meant to just slide down, with an obvious spring loaded mechanism, to allow the 1/4" screw to be used.

So, here I am, trying to forcefully unscrew the "adapter" which, I now realize, is not an adapter at all but a built-in retractable screw.

Talk about stupid!

I messed up the outer (3/8") screw badly but can still use the "inside" 1/4" one.

I want to say this to myself: next time "read the manual" ... on the other hand, there wasn't a manual with this monopod and the seller didn't mention the retractable thingy, nor did it ever occurred to me that this was the case.

So, to make a long story short: my apologies to those who offered help. I will probaly order a new monopod if I need to use the 3/8" screw ... which is now totally banged up.

Cheers to all.

JP
Gotcha..I was thinking it might be one of those. If you want me to attempt a repair, I can try it. I do know that Manfrotto has all the parts to rebuild, so you might be able to also.
04-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Gotcha..I was thinking it might be one of those. If you want me to attempt a repair, I can try it. I do know that Manfrotto has all the parts to rebuild, so you might be able to also.
Thanks for the reply.

I did check for replacement parts, thinking that Manfrotto would have the retractable screw(s) but it seems that they only have the very top section of the monopod containing the screw(s) and the top plate.

See the attached document.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 01-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
04-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Ouch! No touchy my nuts with that!!

UPDATE
There comes a times when you have to laugh at yourself for being so stupid, as I will show in a moment.
Glad it all worked out and no nuts had to be split.

04-09-2012, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear you got it sorted, you can always just use an adapter on the 1/4 thread if you ever need a 3/8 mount. If you are going to use one, I suggest getting the stainless steal ones that have a screwdriver slot in the base. You actually screw them into the item you are adapting not onto the 1/4 inch thread screw, that way you can always get to the screwdriver slot to remove the adapter from what ever you screw it into easily.
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Glad to hear you got it sorted, you can always just use an adapter on the 1/4 thread if you ever need a 3/8 mount. If you are going to use one, I suggest getting the stainless steal ones that have a screwdriver slot in the base. You actually screw them into the item you are adapting not onto the 1/4 inch thread screw, that way you can always get to the screwdriver slot to remove the adapter from what ever you screw it into easily.
Why didn't I think about that !?

I have found this here: Jobu Design 80009 3/8" to 1/4" Adapter Bushing 80009

and this one:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503797-REG/General_Brand_NPTRB_3_8_to_1_4_20_Tripod.html
But they have different lenghts and I don't know which one would fit inside the Kirk tilt head mentioned below.

The tilt head to be mounted on the monopod (with the "screwed up" 3/8" screw) is this one: Kirk MPA-1 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Arca-Type Quick MPA-1
and it is a 3/8"only.

Maybe I should just send an email and see what they will say, if they reply.

That would actually save me a lot of $/$ getting a couple of those adapters vs. a new monopod!

Thank you again for the reply.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 04-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.
04-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Yes, those look fine, I'd go for the longer versions myself. These are the kind I was talking about, with the screwdriver groove, you screw them into the head, they have a flange at the bottom that means you cant screw them too far into the mounting thread.

5 X Sunwayfoto Stainless Steel 1/4" to 3/8" Tripod Adapter /Bushing TN-1 TN1 NEW | eBay

04-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yes, those look fine, I'd go for the longer versions myself. These are the kind I was talking about, with the screwdriver groove, you screw them into the head, they have a flange at the bottom that means you cant screw them too far into the mounting thread.

5 X Sunwayfoto Stainless Steel 1/4" to 3/8" Tripod Adapter /Bushing TN-1 TN1 NEW | eBay
Great !!

I appreciate all of the help. knowing that you have just saved me some dollars !

I just notice that it says " 1/4" to 3/8" adapter bushing ... knowing that the head itself has a 3/8" thread, wouldn't that be a 3/8" to 1/4" instead or is it just semantics?

JP
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Great !!

I appreciate all of the help. knowing that you have just saved me some dollars !

I just notice that it says " 1/4" to 3/8" adapter bushing ... knowing that the head itself has a 3/8" thread, wouldn't that be a 3/8" to 1/4" instead or is it just semantics?

JP
haha, Its "either or", or, "or either"...

but it will make a 3/8 female thread fit a 1/4 male thread.
04-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

comes with a "built-in" 1/4" - 3/8" and the brass 3/8" screw is, get this, retractable !!
I've got the 680B which is the same, I did wonder and thought nah, you'd already know about that.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-15-2012 at 07:08 AM.
04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@cmohr:

All sorted out, hopefully.
I placed an order for the bushings and hope that it will fit flush to the Kirk head for monopod I have.
Thanks a bunch for the timely replies.

Cheers !

@kerrowdown:

I think the 680B was to replace the 679B ... yes/no?

For the price, those monopods sure can do the job!

JP
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

JP, When I saw this, I was afraid I knew all too well what happened. I did the same thing to my like new 680b purchased off #bay. I was able to find the original part and order it from manfrotto though.

Thought the PO got an adapter stuck on it and that's why he dumped it, so I took it out to the garage and went at it with pliers and then a dremel. Turns out what started out as a nice deal on the monopod was barely cheaper than just buying one off the shelf adding in the cost of a new 3/8 sleeve...

Just thought I'd let you know they offered that component a few years ago anyways...
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
JP, When I saw this, I was afraid I knew all too well what happened. I did the same thing to my like new 680b purchased off #bay. I was able to find the original part and order it from manfrotto though.

Thought the PO got an adapter stuck on it and that's why he dumped it, so I took it out to the garage and went at it with pliers and then a dremel. Turns out what started out as a nice deal on the monopod was barely cheaper than just buying one off the shelf adding in the cost of a new 3/8 sleeve...

Just thought I'd let you know they offered that component a few years ago anyways...
Hey !

I have learned by lesson good with this monopod "retractable" 3/8" -- 1/4" screw !
I wasn't going to post my stupidity on the web but I thought: what if someone else runs into a similar situation?

So, I didn't know that you could actually take this screw out of the top of the monopod! Well, maybe it is doable, but how? .... unless you'd take the entire first section out?
Not sure if that is what you mean.

To make a long story short, I solved the problem:

Got me a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter bushing .... screwed it in the swivel head female thread (no pun intended) and fitted the monopod onto it using the now-exposed 1/4" screw (from the retractable 3/8").
Granted, the original 3/8" is done but at least I can use the monopod as intended.

Price of such new monopod isn't that bad though : $47.50 at B & H ...
Manfrotto 679B Three Section Monopod (Black) 679B B&H Photo

If I had had no luck with the adapter bushing, I could have ordered another monopod for a reasonable price, without breaking the bank.

I'll probably will post, some day, the messed up 3/8" sleeve of the monopod and what I did to "fix" it. - great thanks to cmohr's advice, by the way!

JP
04-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I just checked out the Manfrotto website. They don't list a break-down of parts for the head like they used to. It took dis-assembly, but I only replaced the damaged component. Process doesn't matter anymore since the parts are no longer available and anyone bored enough to make their own would figure that out easy enough.
04-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I just checked out the Manfrotto website. They don't list a break-down of parts for the head like they used to. It took dis-assembly, but I only replaced the damaged component. Process doesn't matter anymore since the parts are no longer available and anyone bored enough to make their own would figure that out easy enough.
Gotcha!

I'm still glad I didn't have to buy another monopod though.

JP