Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod: 3/8" adapter screw stuck on the 1/4" screw !!

All my fault !!

I messed up the screw on my monopod ... unuseable now and I can't get the darn think off of the original 1/4" screw !

The monopod has a "screw on" adapter to make it a 3/8" screw (the original screw on the monopd being a 1/4" screw).
So, I forcefully tried to get it off, used a pair of pliers ... I know: bad idea! But I did wrap a piece of rubber around it first so it wouldn't strip the threads and it did!

The adaper screw is still on the monopod ... unuseable ... can't get it off.

Does anyone have an idea or a suggestion ?

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 04-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Same thing with me. I used pliers, no rubber and it came off easy in my case. Crummy design, have to be careful.
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thats a bummer, but if the adapter is no good, I'd just get more intent on getting it off so as you have the 1/4 thread, I found the same thing on an older setup I had, I had to just use a good agressive pair of pliers directly on the adapter to remove it, completely destroyed its thread, but got it off, and you can pick up more 1/4 to 3/8 adapters later. I bought a pack of 3 for $3.50 on fleabay.
04-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Same thing with me. I used pliers, no rubber and it came off easy in my case. Crummy design, have to be careful.

Thanks for the reply, slackercruster!

I have very strong hands and let me tell you: it almost ripeed the skin off when I tried to unscrew this!

You said : have to be careful ... how careful can you be when it just won't budge?

JP

04-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Thats a bummer, but if the adapter is no good, I'd just get more intent on getting it off so as you have the 1/4 thread, I found the same thing on an older setup I had, I had to just use a good agressive pair of pliers directly on the adapter to remove it, completely destroyed its thread, but got it off, and you can pick up more 1/4 to 3/8 adapters later. I bought a pack of 3 for $3.50 on fleabay.
Yeah ... problem is that even with a pair of locking pliers ... no go !
It won't come off !

JP
04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Sounds as if you might have to apply some heat which will make it swell and then attack it with a good pair of pliers, or put it in a vice to hold it. If using the vice option try to not put the area beneath the 1/4 inch thread in the vice as it will only make the thread tighter. In future a little smear of Never-Sieze or Copper Coat should help prevent the same recurring.

Hope this is of assistance,
Regards.
04-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The harder you squeeze the pliers, the more friction is created between the two pieces. Make sure to grab near the top of the adapter. Might be a silly Question but are you sure you're turning it the right way? Looking down on the adapter off is counter-clockwise. You could try heating the adapter slightly with a lighter. Heat makes things expand and may do the trick. The goal is to heat the adapter without heating the 1/4" thread. If that doesn't work, try some penetrating oil, Free-all or Kroil. After applying the oil, wait 24 hours before attempting to remove the adapter. Good Luck.

04-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it a brass or stainless adapter, you could always take to it with a file, and file down until you almost get to the original thread, it may help loosen the grip the adapter has on it. You are trying to remove it in an anti-clockwise direction I take it
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you got a Dremel? If so, cut it off.
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PliersSnips/Snips/PRDOVR~0586504P/Mastercraft+Nut+Splitter.jsp?locale=en
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Have you got a Dremel? If so, cut it off.
My thought too...power, we need more power!

Steve
04-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are the threads totally messed up?. Any chance you could get 2 low profile 3/8 nuts on the adapter and use them as a jam-nut to gain hold of the adapter without squeezing on it and making it bind up harder.
04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most monopods have a top that screws off. There is usually lock-tight on those threads, but you *can* twist it off.
Once you get the top off, you can access the 1/4-20 or 3/8-16.
Once you have access to the screws, you can put the top in a vise and grip it and then replace the mangled 1/4-20 or 3/8-16.
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who makes your monopod?
04-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE

There comes a times when you have to laugh at yourself for being so stupid, as I will show in a moment.

The Manfrotto 679b monopod, for which I have been asking for help, comes with a "built-in" 1/4" - 3/8" and the brass 3/8" screw is, get this, retractable !!
It is meant to just slide down, with an obvious spring loaded mechanism, to allow the 1/4" screw to be used.

So, here I am, trying to forcefully unscrew the "adapter" which, I now realize, is not an adapter at all but a built-in retractable screw.

Talk about stupid!

I messed up the outer (3/8") screw badly but can still use the "inside" 1/4" one.

I want to say this to myself: next time "read the manual" ... on the other hand, there wasn't a manual with this monopod and the seller didn't mention the retractable thingy, nor did it ever occurred to me that this was the case.

So, to make a long story short: my apologies to those who offered help. I will probaly order a new monopod if I need to use the 3/8" screw ... which is now totally banged up.

Cheers to all.

JP