Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Passport blog IN ASSOCIATION WITH Pro photographers reveal their top travel gear

Just found on BBC:

BBC - Travel - Road-tested photo gear : Travel Tips

04-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will second everything ther except I can't speak to the Canon lens, the phone app, and don't like HDR...

I use a Gitzo aluminum tripod. Broke a leg on a carbon tripod once ruined my trip. Aluminum just dents making collapsing it impossible but still provides its function. If I had to get another carbon tripod I would get a really right stuff versa 3...

Wimberlys are great but you still need a ball head with them. The really right stuff leveling base with head clamp makes switching heads a 2 second job. A real saver.

Shutter cord is common sense.

F-stop bags are the best in the industry for versatility and custumizablity. Interchangeable padded camera units that secure well into the packs and allow quick access through the back flap. Great stuff. Set it up to carry two lenses and a medium format body one minute with a tarp, sleeping bag, stove, rain jacket, and food/ water for a four day remote backpacking trip. Then the next minute haul a 600 f4 and several lenses, tripods, etc.. A second plus is the X-Large ICU drops perfectly into a Pelican roller carry on case for transport. Check the bag shell and safely carry the big bucks onto the plane.

Love the western digital passports. I keep two 1TB drives all the time double backed up. One on my person and the other with the computer. If something gets lost or stolen you still have the spare drive. They are slower but set it up to transfer files while you sleep, slower isn't a game changer.