Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Astronamy

Need help with K-m IR Remote that does BULB mode

Hi guys,

I have the Pentax K-m and looking at getting an IR remote shutter release for it. I need one that'll work in BULB mode. I have been looking for ages but can't find anything useful. I was looking at the Pentax Remote Control F, I have read different reviews and some say that by holding the button down the shutter will stay open. Others say to double press the button but I would REALLY like one that I could lock open and not have to worry about keeping finger on the button.

Does anyone know what one would be good for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

04-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Astronamy Quote
I have the Pentax K-m and looking at getting an IR remote
Have you checked the K-m's setup menu options for bulb? I believe most, if not all Pentax dSLR's with IR offer a choice of 'press & hold' OR 'press twice'. It's your choice.

For long shutter times, 'press twice' works fine and has a LOT less battery wear than 'press & hold' - - which is what a button locking type IR release is doing.

By the way, I just paid US$1.65 including shipping for a generic Pentax IR release.
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a menu choice for 1 push or 2 pushes. Pentax compatible IR remotes run anywhere from $1 to $25 (I like the $4-5 models myself as they have 2 buttons, one for focus on the K-5 and one for the shutter).
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Astronamy

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Have you checked the K-m's setup menu options for bulb? I believe most, if not all Pentax dSLR's with IR offer a choice of 'press & hold' OR 'press twice'. It's your choice.
I have checked the manual and all it says it to use the Pentax remote control F. I couldn't find much more info on the F control even on Pentax's website. I'd much prefer press twice as I want to do astrophotography and so I'll need long shutter speeds for some photos and I want to be able to put the remote down.

I was looking at compatible IR remotes for Pentax but so many don't offer BULB mode and I don't know how many will work with the K-m. I'm fairly new to all this so don't want to go wasting money trying to find the right one. One of the compatible ones I was looking at is the Twin 1-R3 Universal Shutter Release by Seculine but I can't find out whether it supports the K-m.

04-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

I bought this one:

Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium Goja Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Electronics+

One button auto focuses and one releases the shutter. On my K-r the bulb menu lets me chose either one touch (hold) or one touch to open and one touch to close the shutter. There are cheaper versions on ebay but I didn't want to wait for 3-4 weeks to get it. Besides, it came with a cleaning cloth!

Rodger
04-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Of course the Pentax manual recommends to use a Pentax branded remote ... at Pentax branded prices. To me, the Twin 1-R3 Universal Shutter Release doesn't appear to do anything special in regards to Pentax cameras. What happens when you push the button on the remote is not determined by the remote. It is determined by how you programmed your camera. Your camera (not the remote) has a menu option for operating the shutter in bulb mode with the remote. On my K-r, it is #15 found in section C3 "Remote Control in Bulb". Option 1 is one click on the remote to open and a second click to close the shutter. Option 2 is the shutter stays open for as long as you hold the button on the remote.

Again, the function you want is available with ANY Pentax compatible IR remote, because it is not the remote but the camera that controls what happens.