Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My P&S camera selection...

While I have K5 and various lenses, shooting HD video with K5 is not that convenient.
I knew my P&S camera will be water-proof, so Pentax Optio WG-2 is obviously on my list for quite some time.
I didn't purchase it since there are some features that I would like it to have is still missing.

After much reading and such, I think I am settle down with .... GoPro Hero2.
It is water-proof, take 1080 video, and 720 video @60FPS, its small. Its super wide angle.
Take time lapse photos, though I doubt it is as tough as Pentax WG2, it's casing can be replace at reasonable cost (~$40).
And the various accessories that let you attach it to various places.

The only problem with GoPro is its lack of LCD panel (a LCD backpac cost another $79), and pretty bad low light (well, all P&S is bad in this category).
And the camera is rather simple in operation and functions.

Before I pull the plug, I would like to hear your experience and advise if you have both cameras or either one?

The total purchase of the GoPro Hero2 camera and its accessories, LCD, extra batteries will be around $400.

Thanks,
Lee

04-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The GoPro is a camera for action stuff. So if you want to record driving, biking, running, or swimming, you can mount it on your helmet, or, for instance, on your car's windshield, hood, or window. I wouldn't really consider it a replacement for a normal camera, though, as I'm not entirely convinced that the metering is accurate for stills.

Here's a video I shot with mine:

You can hear the camera shake whenever I shift, but the mount isn't flimsy, or anything. Car's just really violent!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hm.... Adam, that hand.... are you a women Adam (not saying there is any wrong)?

I read somewhere that typically the clip need some post-process to stabilize the video, is that correct?
04-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No lol (unless you're referring to my girlfriend in the passenger seat), but my hands to look really young IRL. As long as your mount is stable (which is always will be unless you stick the camera on a helmet), then you won't need to do any stabilizing. That video isn't edited or anything.

Here's another quick clip with it mounted on the rear window. Nice and stable!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, the GoPro is a different piece of equipment for a different purpose. Any other rugged camera like the WG-2 is really a P&S with the expectation you're doing it while holding it. The GoPro is something used with the expectation it's pretty much bolted onto something... like someones helmet, a bicycle handlebar or some other insane position (under a truck maybe? haha).

That said... I don't have either. Instead I have a Panasonic Lumix FT3 (previous generation) for my rugged P&S needs... with some desire to get a GoPro for those crazy scenarios if I ever am in one!
04-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, so the night scene is really dark.... hm... so no way to do like a night scene time lapse video?

Vylen, indeed, the goPro looks very suited for some crazy action and the advantage is you don't have to hold it on your hand...
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, you can go in and manually change the exposure, but it's really tedious as the gopro only has two buttons.

Adam

04-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My hands are big. What does that mean?
04-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My hands are big. What does that mean?
You can get to the green button on the K-01 !