Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adapter/Converter for Powering K10d in Thailand/China?

Hello all,

I asked a similar question to this a few weeks ago, but couldn't find it with the search function just now. I'm getting a weird message about 'not enough characters' when I try to use the search tool (?)

Anyway, I'm taking a month long tour of Thailand and then will be in China for 5 months and want to know if anyone has experience with selecting the proper adapter and power converter for these countries.

My research has turned up that I need both, an adapter, and a converter, because they run on 220 volt electricity (and the US only uses 110).

I believe this this page shows the type of plug used in China:

Grounding Adaptor Plug E - Magellan's Travel Supplies

And I have seen that the Thai plugs are compatible with the US dual blade design.

However, I cannot seem to figure out the power converter part...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a product that they have ACTUALLY used before to handle this specific task?

I greatly appreciate any input and advice on this issue as I really do not want to fry my camera and end up missing some once in a lifetime photo opportunities. (Maybe I should have gotten the K100...)

Thank you!

Best Regards,

-Tim

01-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the back of my charger, all you need is the pin converter. Mine is rated for input anything from 100 to 240 v, 50-60 Hz.
01-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Exactly, Albert. Look at the label on the back of your charger, Tim. I believe Pentax only distributes the one D-BC50 battery charger worldwide (AC 100-240v, 50-60 Hz). If that is the case with yours, all you need is the small 'plug adapter' to fit the plug on the cord into the wall outlets in Thailand/China (no additional voltage conversion).

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-14-2008 at 01:04 AM.
01-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #4

Hi Tim.

I just finished working at a couple of power plants in China. They use 50 Hz 220VAC. You're charger will work fine, all you need is an adapter. I would wait and buy one there. I found them in department type stores for around $2 US. About 12 RMB at the time. Probably the same would be true in Thailand altough I can't say for sure as I've never been there.

You might need a converter for other electronics. I bought one from a Sharper Image store in a mall somewhere that works fine. I think it was $30 or so with several adaptors. Radio shack is another good bet.

One other thing. If you stay in hotels while you're there the bathrooms will usually have a 110 VAC plug. Not always, but most of the hotels I stayed in did.

Hope that helps.

Slick

01-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone! I appreciate the valuable insights you guys have.

Slick, whereabouts in China were you working?

I'm going to be teaching English for about 6 months and I'm hoping to be in the Southern Central region (which I've been told, and have found in my research, to be the prettiest).

What would you recommend as the most impressive sights to see while I'm there?

It looks like the Wall, the Clay Soldiers, the Dam, Beijing itself, Shanghai itself, and maybe Tibet are the most visited places (and most written about).

I'm looking for off-the-beaten path types of things to see or explore though, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone!!

-Tim
01-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #6

Hi Tim.

I was in Shanghai, Zhengzhou, and Zhumadian City. I spent most of my time in Zhumadian. I was there for about 4 months total.

Shanghai was pretty cool but get ready to be targeted by the scammers. If you go anywhere near Nanjing Road you'll see what I mean. I used to wear my iPod when I was there just so I could ignore them. If anyone asks you to go have a cup of coffee with them DON'T DO IT. It's an old scam. They'll take you to a coffee house where a cup of coffee will cost you $100. Same goes for any offer like that. I never felt like I was in any kind of danger, it just got annoying.

The main thing to see in Shanghai is the Bund. You can Google it for more info but basically it's a river walk on the Huangpo river. The old colonial bank buildings are on the Bund side and Pudong, which is the more modern area, is on the opposite side. Very cool at night. Make sure you take your camera for that. The big buildings turn the lights off around 10PM so make sure you get there before then.

A few pics...

I didn't make it to Bejing unfortunately. I would say the wall and terracotta army are the big ones. Also the Forbidden City is supposed to be good.

I was also in Henan province. If you make it there go to the Shaolin temple. Very cool place. Also Kaifeng was interesting.

I enjoyed my time in China and would go back again in a heartbeat. The people were very friendly. Get yourself a Mandarin phrasebook to carry with you. I got the one from Lonely Planet. It has both English and Chinese translations in it. You can look up what you want to say and show it to whomever you're talking to and they can read the pinyin.

If you want any more info PM me and I'll tell what I can. You'll probably love it. I met a ton of English teachers while I was there and they were a great bunch of people. I even thought about teaching myself but I'm enjoying the travel in my current job too much.

Have a great time!!!!!

Slick
01-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I asked a similar question to this a few weeks ago, but couldn't find it with the search function just now. I'm getting a weird message about 'not enough characters' when I try to use the search tool (?)
You mean this thread?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/14162-seeking-gear-advice.html