Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cokin P " Ebay Style" Series (with DA 15mm)

Hi all

I am just wondering the following in relation to using cokin p sized filters (already decided i will be using hitech soft / hard and a reverse grad later down the track):

1) Has anybody used the chinese clones of the cokin style system off ebay? Any negative experiences?

2) Specifically in relation to the DA15, I read somewhere the best way to use square filter holders without vignetting is to add a "sacrificial" 49mm filter (glass knocked out; due to bulit in hood) and then add the 49mm Cokin P ring adaptor and then use only the cokin wide angle holder....

--> Has anyone used the third party ebay "cokin style" wide angle filter + 49mm cokin style ring (and of course the knocked out uv filter due to the hood) and confirm no vignetting?

Thanks!

04-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Presumably ND filters?

One thing you'll get, even from genuine Cokin, is a colour cast. You should be able to remove it in pp though (or at least, some of it). Gets much worse if you stack filters. If you want accurate colours you have to pay - Lee seem to have the best reputation.

I've bought cheap screw on ND's and they add a purple tint to everything. Very pretty, but...
04-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Cokin z-pro are quite decent though.
04-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i am buying just the cokin style setup, not really interested in their filters

i've done enough research and read a lot of recommendations for hitech ND Grads, hence my question as to whether the chinese knockoff filter holders are the same thickness as the original ones (to prevent vignetting), can't justify USD$20 EACH just for the genuine adaptor (when i could get a whole set at different filter diameters at $6)

re: straight ND's i already own the B+W 6 and 10 stop which are great, the 10 stop does have some purple cast at times (but i believe almost all of the strong ones do to some extent and in certain situations)

04-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the chinese knockoffs, and I think they are exactly the same as the Cokin ones. Many of these products are made in China to begin with, and then the designs/plans/molds are then leaked out into another factory in China and sold unbranded for cheap. The wide angle holder is a little on the flimsy side, but for 15 bucks for all diameter adapters plus the wide and and normal holder it's a great deal. Having never owned the real Cokin P holder, I'm uncertain if the flimsiness is normal. To answer your question, I don't get vignetting with my 28mm on FF. Not sure if you would at 15 mm on APSC though
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks v much mate
i am going to go ahead and purchase, will update this thread with my experience
04-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Here are some early results of my ebay cokin knockoff ND filter kit. It cost me US$20 shipped and includes three NDs and three graduated filters, adapters for everything, a filter holder and bag.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/222501-my-ebay...est-shots.html