Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It looks interesting. The two downsides I see are that it will offset the tripod plate from lens center, making panoramas a bit more difficult, the ball will make it impossible, without removing the ball, to set the camera down flat.

05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
It looks interesting. The two downsides I see are that it will offset the tripod plate from lens center, making panoramas a bit more difficult, the ball will make it impossible, without removing the ball, to set the camera down flat.
I took the vertical grip off, i found it just too arkward, without the grip it's a more comfortable for me (i just couldn't 'feel" comfortable when it was with the vertical grip)...this is how it sits on my tripod. Apologises for the busy background, i didn't use PS.

05-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I just ordered the Carry Speed Pro from Vistek. Good price considering the hardware and hand strap are included. The only straps I have now are the stock Pentax and a Gordy's wrist strap, so I won't have much to compare with.
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for the photo, Clicker. That makes the thing much clearer than the video on the sling website.

05-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
it's possible BUT not a quick and easy change, the parts can be gotten but you'll need to be able to sew/seal the strap, clips can also be changed but that too you'd need to sew and reseal.
Well, i didn't quite mean make a frankenstein-strap. I meant, can you just screw the BlackRapid FastenR to the Carry Speed mounting plate? i.e. could a person buy a BlackRapid strap, the Carry Speed mounting plate, and everything will work?
05-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Well, i didn't quite mean make a frankenstein-strap. I meant, can you just screw the BlackRapid FastenR to the Carry Speed mounting plate? i.e. could a person buy a BlackRapid strap, the Carry Speed mounting plate, and everything will work?
LOL sorry "read too much into that one", yes the FastenR fits in any of the thread openings on the plate (there's a new plate coming to market soon/might already be out) BUT it hangs arwardly/angular/diagonally off the body from the protruding openings...the openings for tripod plates make a better "direct" connection but defeats the dual mount camera/tripod plate purpose....i'll have to play around with that one a bit.

You might want to wait for this newer plate though, it seems like it might be a better direct mount for the fastenR.

The current plate is too close of a design to the Spider Holster's plate imo, this newer plate may be safer against any pending lawsuits
06-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

LOL sorry "read too much into that one", yes the FastenR fits in any of the thread openings on the plate (there's a new plate coming to market soon/might already be out) BUT it hangs arwardly/angular/diagonally off the body from the protruding openings...the openings for tripod plates make a better "direct" connection but defeats the dual mount camera/tripod plate purpose....i'll have to play around with that one a bit.
I put the massive & heavy Carry Speed plate back in the box, I don't see ever using it again. I would rather just remove the ball connector for tripod mount. As to the other stated advantage, maybe I have a different grip than the designer of the Carry Speed strap, because I found the offset ball pin was in my way in vertical orientation, and only a bit awkward with the pin centered.

You might want to wait for this newer plate though, it seems like it might be a better direct mount for the fastenR.
From the blurb on the website, I wonder if the new plate will remain as an extra cost option?

The current plate is too close of a design to the Spider Holster's plate imo, this newer plate may be safer against any pending lawsuits
I read somewhere that they were co-developers and the patent is shared between Carry Speed and Spider Holster.

I had the CS-PRO out this weekend. I was pleased with how it performed, it's a versatile system. My only complaint is that the ball squeaked in the socket as I walked. When I got home, I added some silicone lube to the ball, which resolved the issue.

My main interest in purchasing the CS-PRO was the ability to change from a sling to a wrist strap with ease. It definitely allows that. I ended up screwing the CS ball connector into an Arca plate that was attached to my battery grip (not offset). I didn't need the Arca plate, but I have it permanently mounted to my grip, so I just left it in place. I like using a grip with a long lens, because it's comfortable to hold, but I rarely used the grip in the past because of the added weight. With a sling, the extra weight is barely even noticeable.

To change to the wrist strap, I just removed the grip from the K20 and screwed the wrist strap into the tripod hole on the bottom of the camera. This was quick and easy, needed no tools, and the bulky grip stayed with the sling. There are a lot of ways to use the CS system, I will try some other configurations, but all in all, I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Thanks Clicker, for bringing this to my attention. This thread was the first time I had heard of Carry Speed.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-14-2012 at 06:47 PM.
06-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
Forum Member

I am just talking from looking at the pictures, but I see more than one fail points in this design - especially the plastic buckle-connector thingies that are taking the weight of the camera. Even the best of those eventually break under enough stress. Especially bad if you are a fiddly person that like fiddling with moving things on your strap/bag/camera.

I can't tell if there is a locking mechanism for the ball connector, or whether one is only an unfortunate finger flick away from collecting the camera from a puddle of mud.

With all the usability issues of the Blackrapid design, at least there are no weight bearing plastic parts, and things that get unlocked are still attached and require a cross-gravity vector to be undone.
06-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That "plastic" buckle is actually the slide stop which you can adjust to where you want the metal slide to stop/camera to hang. All the connector are supposedly stainless steel. The is locked in a cavity and is pretty secure.

06-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

That "plastic" buckle is actually the slide stop which you can adjust to where you want the metal slide to stop/camera to hang. All the connector are supposedly stainless steel. The is locked in a cavity and is pretty secure.
There are plastic buckles where the shoulder pad meets the strap. I'm not at all concerned about them failing, and as far as I can tell, the ball pin connection is extremely secure, as is the tripod style screw. No, I'm not at all worried about my gear falling. My Think Tank Streetwalker is a premium bag that carries a lot more weight than the Carry Speed strap, and it has plastic buckles too.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-18-2012 at 07:44 PM.
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered one of the CS-Pro strap systems and it arrived today.

The strap itself is very comfortable, the connections seem to be pretty secure, and the wrist strap is a nice extra. The one issue that I have is with the mounting plate. The round projections that you mount the pivot ball into are not flush with the side of the plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera, they are thicker than the plate itself. On my K10 and K20, both of which have grips, the plate can't be mounted with the pivot pin toward the front of the camera as the round portions of the plate do not project forward far enough to clear the front edge of the grip. If you leave the grips on, the plate can be mounted in reverse with the pivot pin to the rear of the camera, but the camera and lens are not as balanced as they would be with the plate mounted the other way around and the pivot ball gets in the way of the grip controls when using the camera in the vertical position.

Carrying the camera with the 'Bigma' attached is another story. The plate mounts to the lens itself and the auxiliary strap mounts to the camera bottom, it really makes carry that lens / camera combo very comfortable.

Just my two cents.