Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Maybe tomorrow. I'm tired now. And as I just got it today and haven't really used it, I can't comment on usage. But member "Blue" says he has one maybe he can comment on the usage part.
No rush, whenever suits you best will be fine. I am trying to get a feel for this backpack because it seems to be well designed and is very affordable. In fact, if you wish to try out your backpack before commenting on it's practical usage, that will be fine as well.

05-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
Original Poster
Probably be a couple of days before I actually use it. This is memorial day weekend and people will be out in full force. Probably no room to park at my usual photography places.
05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #33
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,295
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
No rush, whenever suits you best will be fine. I am trying to get a feel for this backpack because it seems to be well designed and is very affordable. In fact, if you wish to try out your backpack before commenting on it's practical usage, that will be fine as well.
I am going to the Dominican Republic on Sunday. I will try to take some pics of it in use during the trip. It will likely be after Jun 3rd before I will likely post anything. I never use the compartment you are referring to above for lenses. I usually stick a net book and power supply in there. My DA 300 either off or on a body fits in the main compartment. It will also hold the body with an A 400/5.6 mounted. (not both at the same time).
05-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am going to the Dominican Republic on Sunday. I will try to take some pics of it in use during the trip. It will likely be after Jun 3rd before I will likely post anything. I never use the compartment you are referring to above for lenses. I usually stick a net book and power supply in there. My DA 300 either off or on a body fits in the main compartment. It will also hold the body with an A 400/5.6 mounted. (not both at the same time).
Thanks Blue, this backpack sounds really promising in terms of what it can carry. I will look forward to your posts on the backpack's usage.

05-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #35
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,295
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Thanks Blue, this backpack sounds really promising in terms of what it can carry. I will look forward to your posts on the backpack's usage.
I used it for a 3 week trip to South Africa last year.
05-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I used it for a 3 week trip to South Africa last year.
Great, how much equipment were you packing around in the backpack and did this trip involve hiking for extended periods of time while wearing the pack? How about ergonomics like was the cushioning on the back adequate - my Daypack has minimal amount of foam cushion and I can sometimes feel large lenses pressing against my back. Are the shoulder straps comfortable - distribute the weight evenly or anything else that you can think of that's either positive or negative about this backpack would be helpful.

Thanks,
05-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,295
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Great, how much equipment were you packing around in the backpack and did this trip involve hiking for extended periods of time while wearing the pack? How about ergonomics like was the cushioning on the back adequate - my Daypack has minimal amount of foam cushion and I can sometimes feel large lenses pressing against my back. Are the shoulder straps comfortable - distribute the weight evenly or anything else that you can think of that's either positive or negative about this backpack would be helpful.

Thanks,
D20d, *istD spare batteries
DA* 300
Sigma 105 EX DG
FA 77 ltd
FA 50/1.4
DA 35 LTD
DA 21 LTD
DA 40 LTD
Kenk0 25mm af tube
Metz 48 flash
Toshiba Netbook (left in the room as often as possible)

It was relatively heavy and about as comfortable as a heavy pack is going to be.

06-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
Original Poster
I've only found one problem with this backpack....too many pockets. I put things in certain pockets, but can't remember which pocket I put those things in....I like this backpack, and thanks Blue for suggesting it.
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 6,683
Backpacks might make sense for hauling gear but they are a real PITA to work from.

IMO except when packing in to a remote location for an extended period
one should never bring more gear than will fit in a good shoulder bag.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
06-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
will fit in a good shoulder bag
I had a shoulder bag and it made my shoulders hurt. I am not young anymore and I don't weigh much, and I have thin shoulders...I wanted something I could put on my back to help carry the weight better. The backpack was the right choice for me.
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,295
someone else with Pentax gear using the Canon backpack.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/200693-af...ml#post2128434
10-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,756
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I had a shoulder bag and it made my shoulders hurt. I am not young anymore and I don't weigh much, and I have thin shoulders...I wanted something I could put on my back to help carry the weight better. The backpack was the right choice for me.
When I use a shoulder bag, it is over my head and across my chest and back. This distributes the load better. How are you carrying your bag
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backpack, bag, lens bag, lenses, samyang, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Kata 3N-1 20 Backpack/Sling Bag Wayne77 Sold Items 5 02-20-2012 04:33 PM
For Sale - Sold: Older Tamrac Photo Backpack and Shoulder Bag arpaagent Sold Items 2 08-22-2011 07:15 PM
Backpack upgrade and small bag advice needed... Ubuntu_user Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 12-19-2010 12:25 PM
Camera Bag / Backpack jct us101 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 30 03-11-2009 08:05 PM
Recommendations on backpack style bag Jennifer Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 06-29-2007 08:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top