Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens bag or full backpack

to accommadate my Samyang 100-500. I have a bag that carries the camera and other two lenses, but if I can get a backpack to carry all, I would be more happy. But I'd settle for a case for the Samyang; though, I'd rather not have to settle.

My budget on this is for Backpack, @$100. Less if just for the lenses case.

04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well as an owner of the exact same beast of a lens, I keep mine in this:

Lens Changer 75 Pop Down V2.0

When I travel with it in a pack I'll put in in the top portion of my large LowePro Pack very similar to this one:
Lowepro - DryZone Rover

Honestly, the beast doesn't go in the pack very often. I've used the ThinkTank pouch on my belt too as it's really nice as and extra pair of hands when changing lenses. Check it out.
04-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks bcb, but I think the backpack is quite a bit beyond my budget range, though the lens case looks good.For now, I think I'll concentrate on the lens case. At least I won't have to leave it at home. I've been doing that because I had no way to make it safe in the trunk of my car. This way I can at least carry it with me.
04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
I can't find the specific size of the lens on line.

Although generally... Here are a listing of a few packs at or below that price range, as follow...

Tamrac: Zuma 9 (interesting design and keeps equipment relatively safe by back of pack only access. Also has a removable rain cover.

LowePro: Any Versapack, Fastpack, or Photo Sport Cling may work; but try to get one that also has an AW built in cover.

It may be unlikely to get a dedicated camera or lens bag that will fit that lens at that price level

04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look at some of Vanguards offerings BUT you'll have to shop around on price ....i'm sure there's something from them in your price range.

Vanguard

@Medium Formatpro, blackcloudbrew posted them awhile back ...13"
04-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I failed to mention some other criteria...mostly that I'm all of 5'2", of slight frame. So taking this into consideration what is your new suggestions. The whole system can not weight more than 7lbs, I could not carry it if it did.

For a lens case, I found this one on B&H, it's long enough for the Beast which is 12" long.

Lowepro Lens Cases

Add a backpack that doesn't cost more than $50, but will hold my K-x and the other two lenses. I do have to state most times, these items will not be out of the car and on my back. I just want something that's airtight, and will hold my gear safely while in the trunk.
04-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another Thinktank option similar to the Lens changer 75 is the Skin 75 which is unpadded so is flatter and has a nice flap over the top.
Skin 75 Pop Down V2.0

I have the version 1 of this which is a tiny bit narrower at the top.
It easily accomodates a D*300 with the hood fitted with the "pop-down" zipped out.
Easily fits the DA*300 with hood reversed in the zipped up configuration.

Used it hiking around the Harobur shore and then at the Zoo last Sunday comfortable to carry a 1+ kg lens, if you have a decent belt or one of the Thinktank belts.

Last time I went O/S for work, I have also used it to carry a body + DA15 and another prime loose eg DA35 + batteries, filters/pouch.

04-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mar, I don't know if this would appeal to you, but why not visit a military surplus outlet or online site and pick up a used rucksack? I've been using a mid-sized cotton canvas rucksack from Germany (bought in a US army-navy store) for years as my primary method of hauling camera gear. The rucksack cost under USD30, and is very comfortable to carry. The canvas is a little heavy by comparison to synthetic civilian rucksacks, but not that much, and LOTS cheaper and very sturdy. Picture of mine is here, but there are alternatives.
04-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I just want something that's airtight, and will hold my gear safely while in the trunk.

Depending on what weather conditions a vehicle is parked in; I would not suggest this one. While I haven't yet witnessed permenant damage to a camera - that those types of temps that can be found in a car on a sunny day could cause the lcd to black-out for a while (and quite a few hours really); and even cause the camera to fail sporatically. Some of the Pentax's also have a high temp sensor which would not allow it to work - and guess what -one would not be able to see that sensor warning - because I believe it only appears on screen - oops.

As for airtight... That would really limit the case options. There are ones made out of a type of abs plastic (much like football helmits) that are in fact airtight; but they almost act like a type of extremely durable luggage. BTW some even have wheels. But gien the size of the lens - the case would be many times in excess of ones budget.

I would also suggest the army/navy store option, but... It might be close to (or well above) the weight restriction you mentioned.

Also... LowePro does make a few softsided airtight cases; the DZ series, but... Also noting that only the inner most compartment is airtight; and not some of the outter compartments. One may just be able to find a used one. BTW the DZ200 will hold the lens; and protect it incredibly well - for a soft sided case.

Best wishes with the case hunting. Wish I could have helped out further
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps I should have said "dust tight" instead of airtight. After my car ( 1989 Dodge Aries K LE) is fixed ( lots of little things need fixed, new hoses, brakes checked, tires rotated, etc.), I'll be traveling some dusty roads. However, I will not be traveling them for hours. I can shoot most nature here within 15 miles of my house.And my trunk is a real trunk, where you have to get out of the car and open it before you can reach into it. Not a hatchback.

As for belt type lens cases, I do not wear belts. Okay, maybe I should explain further what I had in mind. A backpack to carry camera, two lens, and a lens case that attaches to the backpack. Any one know of something like that.

Tamia, I do believe the rucksack wouldn't work for me, but thanks for sharing your idea with me.

Medium FormatPro, your ideas, and suggestions helped me see I wasn't giving anyone what I had in mind as to what I really looking for, so thanks.
04-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My wife has this one. It seems to be pretty good for $50.

I have this one, but it's a little bigger & more money new, though I got it for $40 used. It's a great backpack with tons of room. Might be too big for you, though.

How ya getting along with the 100-500?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
04-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

While you don't wear belts, you could potentially use some of the lens cases that are associated with the more popular belt systems. Tamrac and Lowepro are two that come to mind. I use the Tamrac M.A.S. system for traveling with lenses while hiking with my daypack. The system has a "latch" type velcro/snap connection that allows one to attach the case to a belt, but it also works around any secure strap locations, like water bottle holders, on a backpack clothing, camera holster etc. They are quite flexible. I often thrown them into simple messenger bags to make a quick travel case when I'm not hiking.

Some examples: Tamrac Lens Cases
04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How much does your gear weigh? other than the Samyang and Kx?
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
How much does your gear weigh? other than the Samyang and Kx?
About 3lbs. The Sigma weighs more than the Pentax 18-55mm.and the JC Penny weighs more than the Pentax lens, and less than the Sigma.
04-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This might be a prospect? I understand your weight issue, i carry a Lowepro 202AW with some Canon gear...and i know i'm carrying it

Ape Case Compact Digital SLR Backpack (Black) ACPRO1810 B&H

Last edited by Clicker; 04-29-2012 at 05:03 AM.