Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Neck strap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good day,

I was wondering which strap should I get for the camera? The standard one is irritating for me (literally) .
I came across one model in particular:
Matin Vintage Strap. My dilemma is, should it be 30" or 38" . does the size really affect me in anyways? I must mention that I don' t wear the camera around my neck very often, mostly around my hand.

NEW MATIN Vintage-20 TAN Leather Camera Strap for Canon Nikon SONY Fuji DSLR SLR | eBay

I accept any other suggestions within the price range.

Thank you!

04-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't like wearing a neck strap around your neck, why don't you look into a wrist strap, such as ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Herringbone-HERITAGE-Leather-Hand-Grip-Camera-Strap-W-Plate-Black-Red-/320860114854?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item4ab4c0cfa6
I just ordered an off-brand one a few days ago, just to see how it handles, because I also don't like wearing the strap around my neck, prefer to wrap it around my wrist a few times.

Last edited by Julie; 04-28-2012 at 12:28 AM.
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
"If you don't like wearing a neck strap around your neck" - I do not mind wearing one, I just mind wearing the velvet (or what not) material one that comes with the camera. That is all. It gives me a rash.
04-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I understand, Action Straps has some very nice looking leather staps, imo, but they're a tad expensive... Action Camera Straps

The Matin ones you've found do look very nice and high-quality as well. And they do sell ones with 30 and 38 width. Weird that they cost a considerable amount less than the smaller 20.

30---> NEW MATIN Vintage-30 BRWON DSLR SLR Camera Neck Shoulder Leather Strap for Canon | eBay
38---> eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

04-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, thank you for the replies. So I guess there isn' t any recommendations regarding the size of the strap. You take it as long as you want it. And yes, the Action straps are a tad expensive for my blood, just because they are `luxury` .
04-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my rapid straps that go across the shoulder and the camera hangs on the side. I find the weight is distributed nicely. I either have K5 and a small Ltd hanging with the strap connected tp the camera or with the second the strap connected to my 60-250 pentax lens. I find it more or less comfortable (beats the daylights out of other options I have tried). And I can still wield around a 500mm lens. On the web their are some utube videos how they work.
04-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Ok, thank you for the replies. So I guess there isn' t any recommendations regarding the size of the strap. You take it as long as you want it. And yes, the Action straps are a tad expensive for my blood, just because they are `luxury` .
I didn't buy the fancy Rapid R strap but one called the Y-strap. Fairly cheap simple strap that goes over the shoulder and allows one to keep the camera on their hip. Its very comfortable to wear compared to my Pentax neck strap which was uncomfortable for any length of time.

Here's the benefit of a simple strap without a pad or aux pockets - when you're not useing the camera, that camera and strap have to be stored in the camera bag. The more stuff on the strap itself - the more to store in you camera bag, IMO, however i've never tried a Rapid strap, maybe they're the cats meow :-)

The other nice thing about a shoulder strap, if i need a little more reach of the strap to place the camera on a tripod, i can just place the strap around my neck and this provides extra strap reach. I think my strap is just 1" wide.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-28-2012 at 01:21 AM.
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
So, let me rephrase the question: Would anybody buy the camera strap from Matin (the vintage model) ? And how many inches would it be? 20, 30 or 38
04-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So, let me rephrase the question: Would anybody buy the camera strap from Matin (the vintage model) ? And how many inches would it be? 20, 30 or 38
Depends how long you're and how low you want the camera to hang, so it's all personal preference no way we can say you MUST buy the 38 inch for example.
04-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I also got my Black Rapid DR-1 Double Strap, but I mostly use it as a single strap. No more pain from wearing the camera with a heavy lens for extended time and always got the camera ready.

When it comes to length just take a string or equal and cut it to the different sizes to try it out.
04-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Would anybody buy the camera strap from Matin (the vintage model) ? And how many inches would it be? 20, 30 or 38
Why? Because it looks nice?

Length depends on how big you are and how you want to carry your camera. I like a long strap because I can sling it diagonally over my shoulder so the camera rests by my side when I'm walking - it doesn't bounce around there. I also found I can sling it over one shoulder underneath a coat where it hangs around hip level and is very inconspicuous yet also ready for shooting in seconds.
04-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Why? Because it looks nice?

Length depends on how big you are and how you want to carry your camera. I like a long strap because I can sling it diagonally over my shoulder so the camera rests by my side when I'm walking - it doesn't bounce around there. I also found I can sling it over one shoulder underneath a coat where it hangs around hip level and is very inconspicuous yet also ready for shooting in seconds.

Good day,

I was hoping for somebody to come with good pro or cons regarding the purchase of a strap (or even the Matin Leather Vintage strap, which caught my eyes) , be it its usefulness, looks, price or what not. That' s about it.

Thank you!
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

get something with neoprene and "no" to the martin's vintage, it's still hard.

Last edited by Clicker; 04-28-2012 at 05:45 PM.
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good day,

I was hoping for somebody to come with good pro or cons regarding the purchase of a strap (or even the Matin Leather Vintage strap, which caught my eyes) , be it its usefulness, looks, price or what not. That' s about it.

Thank you!
The Matin strap in your link is just a 20mm wide neck strap, so is pretty much the same width and design as the standard neck strap so I dont really see the point.

It just looks different so if you want to be different & if you like it buy it. Plenty of people buy things, logical or not just to be different. There's probably another one one ebay somewhere fitted with rediculous Swarovski crystals that cost much more, no doubt someone would buy that one too.

If you wanted a wider on for less pressure on your neck then this alternative (cheaper too) - wondering why the thinner one is $49?
NEW MATIN Vintage-38 BRWON DSLR SLR Camera Neck Shoulder Leather Strap for Canon | eBay
This one would be bulkier to pack into a bag or holster because of the thickness of the leather and the extra width. That would be the downside.
04-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Several of us managed to get this strap for US$5 including shipping. Not only was it a bargain, but I really like the strap. They now sell for US$14.95.
Lowepro Speedster Camera Strap : AvidMaxOutfitters.com