Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 06:29 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Arca Swiss QR System so far

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks to 'cmohr' (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html) I got inspired to create my own setup, because I frequently alternate between Tripod/Monopod and Hand-held Landscape/Portrait modes during a single photo session. I thought I'd shop around (on eBay) and being a ex-fitted and turner in the aluminium industry, I came up this my version, within my budget.

I initially looked around at what is compatible with what, most dovetail QR systems are Arca Swiss compatible with each other, with a 38mm wide clamp systems.

Then I look around for a suitable Ballhead for my Manfrotto 679B monopod (which if needed I could use on my Slik Pro 500DX Tripod) within a descent price range (under $100) and big enough to support my maximium weight. I purchased a Benro B-1 Ballhead which came with PU-60 Plate for $106 with free delivery

I then spent a coulpe of week trying to find a 'L' bracket to suit my K-7 with battery grip (until resently I didn't find one in existance) so I made my own out of 100mm x 6mm 6060 aluminium flat plate. I was happy I got the bend right the first time to what I wanted and here we have it.

Battery compartment opens and closes with hitting, the only problem I have created is access to the side compartment, maybe on version two I'll work it out.

This also all started with my dissatisfaction with the quick release plate that comes with the Slik tripod, after a year of heavy use you start to get movement once clamped. So I purchased a SunwayfotoDuo-Lever 50mm Adjustable Width Clamp and machined off the original clamp and bolted the new one on.

My setup with the Sigma 70-200 + Kenko 2x TC on Tripod and Monopod

I also purchased some D-ring hinged 1/4" tripod/camera screws to attach this new system and still be able to quickly change over to my Black Rapid R-Sports Sling

For those who are interested, as I said earlier. Someone has finally manufactured a 'L' Breacket for the K7/K5 with Grip. Look for the Mestos PD-K5HL L Plate on eBay, it's about $150 US with free postage (I know someone else has already mentioned it some here already).

Next I'll try to work out how to make a Gamble Head, because there is no way I could afford to buy one, so I will see how I go?

05-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

great post

i noticed you're using a benro b1 head, may i know if the default arca swiss plate (PU60) can use the blackrapid system with the QR plate attached to the camera / lens tripod mount at all times by default?

if it doesn't and needs something special - what is required? (eg: special screw?)

reason being im getting a benro b1 head and a blackrapid sports soon and want to know the best compatible way to get my system working

appreciate your help!
05-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you can't use the screw that come with the Black Rapid, it's too tall. As you can see in my last image you can use the

Sunwayfoto D-Ring Hinged Screw 1/4" / Camera / TripodQR Plate SS Stainless found on eBay eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r set of 3 for $10 US + postage

These are 22mm in diameter. I have one attached to my sigma 70-200 on a PU60 (perminitally) and one my camera with a PU100 (when not on my L-bracket)
05-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

thank you so much, great insight i found your post very useful

05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice Fab.
05-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Next I'll try to work out how to make a Gamble Head, because there is no way I could afford to buy one, so I will see how I go?
I can definately appreciate your fabrication abilities and applaud your attempt to try a gimble head. There are some gimble knockoffs on the market for $100.00-150.00 usd which may be worth looking at. The real deal gimbles are way up there but the one in @cmohr s post is on sale for $135.00 usd right now.
Desmond Gimbal Head DGH-01 Arca Comp inc 50mm Clamp & QR Plate Fluid Tripod NEW | eBay
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi bdparker,

Nice work!

I see that you have a SunwayFoto dual lever clamp on the pan tilt. How do you like it. I've been considering getting this clamp to replace one of my OEM clamps to make it a bit quicker. When adjusted correctly for a given plate, using the lever alone, does it open up wide enough to drop the plate in as opposed to having to slide it in the side?

Scott

05-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, Thats a really really good "fab" job on the L-plate, I had to look twice at it to see it wasn't a Mestos one.

The ball head would certainly make the job easier with the Sigma setup, And doesn't it make things easy having all the same plate system for everything, you swap and change without thought.

Congrats on the system.

cmohr

As a note, my macro rail is now almost full-time on my ballhead, as it really balances any lens so much better than just having the camera directly ontop of the ballhead, and gives a "gimbal" type feel to using the ballhead.
05-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I see that you have a SunwayFoto dual lever clamp on the pan tilt. How do you like it. I've been considering getting this clamp to replace one of my OEM clamps to make it a bit quicker. When adjusted correctly for a given plate, using the lever alone, does it open up wide enough to drop the plate in as opposed to having to slide it in the side?
Thanks Scott (and others) The dual lever clamp has three positions. 1) Locked with a safety lock to prevent knock-open (once you have worked out you desired clamping pressure of the screw clamp) 2) partly open that you can slide your clamp plate to adjust position or remove (as longs as you have removed one of the safety screws from you plate, and 3) wide open so that drop in and quickly lift out.

which after writing this (and if Adam reads this) I should do some reviews on some of the parts.....
05-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I must be a dummy. I can't see why you need an L plate to attach to your camera. Except maybe if you want your primary orientation to be portrait? Sorry for the rookie question
05-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I must be a dummy. I can't see why you need an L plate to attach to your camera. Except maybe if you want your primary orientation to be portrait? Sorry for the rookie question
Picture this situation.... school presentation on a stage.... so you setup in landscape to shoot most of your shots and then for each student that comes up onto the stage to receive his/her award (whatever) you quickly switch to portrait, because you only want the student and presenter....

With a convectional setup you rotate the tripod head, be it ball or pan/tilt.... and what happens, you totally losed your focal point way over to the side. With a L-plate you release the plate rotate the camera without losing your focal point by much (if you plate has centre markers, your even closer).

OR try shooting in Portrait mode on a monopod without a head.
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The dual lever clamp has three positions. 1) Locked with a safety lock to prevent knock-open (once you have worked out you desired clamping pressure of the screw clamp) 2) partly open that you can slide your clamp plate to adjust position or remove (as longs as you have removed one of the safety screws from you plate, and 3) wide open so that drop in and quickly lift out.
Hi bdparker,

Thanks! I think I need at least one of these!

Scott
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

With a L-plate you release the plate rotate the camera without losing your focal point by much (if you plate has centre markers, your even closer).
So the idea is that you have two parts of the L-plate that can mount on the tripod head, and the camera will be in the same position in space whichever part you use to mount the camera. Is that correct?
05-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
So the idea is that you have two parts of the L-plate that can mount on the tripod head, and the camera will be in the same position in space whichever part you use to mount the camera. Is that correct?
Yes exactly, very conveinient for that reason.

Also, it is much safer as the weight of the camera/lens stays centred over the tripod. Normally adjusting the camera/lens over 90degrees to portrait orientation withe the ball head (or 3way head) puts the mass over to one side.