Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Try this Camera Tripods, Head & Accessories By 3LeggedThing.com
The 3LT Brian goes to 2,04m
I haven't really looked into it much, but I had seen this brand on B&H... The thing I guess I need to look into is the quality and reviews of those tripods. It is a new brand to me that I've seen very little about with respect to the forums here and elsewhere. They are appealing, but at this point so are the Feisols at a similar price point. I'll also have to look at the Oben's, which look to be a house brand for B&H.

05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The inexpensive Dolica AX620 does not use the crappy geared crank, but instead has a sort of winged ring wedgie thing that seems pretty firm.
05-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Actually, I think that is the tripod I have, and I have found that at 1 second everything is fine... At 3+ seconds, everything goes bad. I can get 30 seconds without the colum extended, which is probably fine since I wouldn't be stooping very long in that case anyway. I was just a bit frustrated at some 6 second shots I was trying to get last winter at night that ended up bad. In running through a gamut of 1 second to 15 second exposures, I could see with that tripod where 3 seconds was a magic number for image quality (obvious vibration).

I truly believe that one of the keys to a column extension that doesn't wobble is a tripod with cross bracing between the legs and the column.
without this bracing the column is only scantly supported in one place --- and 1 point mounts are wobbly.

the cross bracing makes them much more difficult to fold up but specifically addresses your concern of being able to extent the center column.