Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripods and Height

OK... I know the benefits of not extending the center column of a tripod. My cheap tripod gives a great example of the flaws in doing this.

However, I am a tall guy (6-6, 197 cm), and it becomes difficult to find a tripod that can meet my needs without extending the column to some extent. By my estimate, I need a tripod without the center column extended to reach a minimum of 62 inches, yet most tripods barely seem to extend beyond that level when fully extended, and a lot seem to max out around 55 inches without the column extended.

That being said, if I were to invest in a much better tripod, e.g. carbon fiber, high weight capacity, are the vibrations really going to be that bad if I have the column extended with say a K5 + 55-300 lens (or even any other 300 prime) attached?

My current tripod is a Velbon (not sure the model number) but it has a low capacity 8.8 lbs. I think it was a gift that came with my pre-dslr camera (an old super-zoom Panasonic camera) that at 8.8lb seemed adequate for my pentax cameras. It is aluminum, and it works ok without the center column extended, but it is a bit short at 54 inches in that configuration. It is quite the pain in the back for a length of time. I've tried raising the center column, but I do notice quite the loss of stability.

I mostly make this post to see if this is going to be a problem with any tripod or would things get better with regards to the center column extended with better tripods. If there is a chance that I can work with the center column that broadens my selection in almost any brand. I'm thinking that CF will help, but that alone often shortens the heights on what's available. I'm not terribly concerned with weight, but I like the idea of keeping with one that weighs on the order of 4 lbs and folds to less than 25 inches (without head). This is what my Velbon does, which has been adequate for luggage and travel. That also keeps aluminum as an option if I find that isn't a factor.

It's really hard to get an idea of just how stable tripods are in shop.

I'm already pretty happy with my current head; I replaced the Velbon one back when I got my K10d many years ago, and it works well.

Thanks for any comments.

05-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking for something similar as well, i've been looking a this one... still not sure, but i've seen these up close and they look pretty beefy
Induro AT313 Alloy 8M Tripod Tripod Legs 472-313 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
05-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

it has a carbon fibre cousin that would fit your weight requirements and they have ones with more legs (but more legs = less stability )
05-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On the top end CF tripods for height you'll be looking at RRS or Gitzo in the mid-range you'll be looking at Feisol, Induro/Benro and there's also Oben

http://www.gitzo.ca/product/72038.71837.72020.0.0/GT3541XLS/_/Series_3_Carbo...ection_wG-Lock

NEW FEISOL Classic Tripod CT-3371 Rapid

| CT313 - Cat. 471-313

| C3580F ? Cat. C3580F

CT-2420 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs

05-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Try this Camera Tripods, Head & Accessories By 3LeggedThing.com
The 3LT Brian goes to 2,04m
05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another work-around is a ref-converter. PENTAX Refconverter A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database This one has an adjustable ocular, and switchable 1x or 2x magnification, ideal for closeups. I bought one of these, used of course, before I got my LX and finder-base, etc. This one fits my K10d, fortunately. Be wary, there is an earlier model which may not fit the MX, ME, LX and digital models.

I finally found one for my 645n, cost a good deal more, though. Pentax Refconverter 645 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Using these on a tripod is a god-send for macro or closeup work with the tripod close to the ground. But I find that, at 5 feet 10 inches, I can minimize the center pole extension on my tripod, since I can look down into the finder. Since both ref-converters will rotate, horizontal or vertical compositions are readily handled. Of course, YMMV.
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

While I don't have to duck for doorways, I'm tall enough to understand your aversion to getting down on your knees to look through the viewfinder.

My suggestion is a tripod well overrated for your needs otherwise, and put the center column up. I got into heavy tripods when I started getting 15 lb lenses and started buying tripods rated for 20 lbs or more. If you get one well over rated for your loads
it won't be an issue. You can run the colulmn up or whatever....

I bought a Bogen/Manfrott 3046 (readily available used on ebay from 100 to 200 dollars) you can put anything you
want on it and it won't move. I've seen that model with extension legs on it and a video camera on it, with the videographer on
a step ladder to see his camera taping public events.

It's my designated tripod for the FA*600 f/4 that I recently acquired and stability isn't an issue even though the lens is 6.8kg.

Back when I had my first 600mm I had a cheap Vanguard tripod---the 30 dollar kind, and what ever you did when you released
the shutter, it would shift the balance and you could see the lens bobbing up and down for a while... I had to use the mirror lockup or I had readily visible shake in the pictures.

05-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate all the suggested tripods, but what I am looking for (and what I thing rvannatta provided) was some type of confirmation that having a better tripod makes raising the column less of a problem and whether CF would help improve on that. I know my current tripod is not good when the column is raised. It is only rated to 8.8 lbs, and while I am usually at 4 lbs of equipment, it vibrates too much once I raise the shaft (even using a remote and mirror lock-up). Does higher load capacity and/or buying something like a Gitzo make it possible to use the center shaft and still have better stability than the $100 bargain tripod without the column extended?
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A quoted max capacity doesn't actually mean anything if the build quality and/or materials used are rubbish, just to warn you. But Gitzo, Manfrotto etc. usually mean quality.
05-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand that, which is why I was asking about the stability of a tripod like a GITZO with its column extended. I didn't say I was buying another cheap tripod. I really just want to know if I buy a good quality tripod that extending the center column isn't as bad as some people want you to believe. I'm looking for something tall that is still somewhat portable. I'm trying not to worry too much about price, but I'm also not a pro. I see potentially good matches in the $400 to $700 range, but I don't want to throw that money out there to find that extending the column gives a poor result regardless of the tripod.
05-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, considering I've done tests of a crop camera+half kilo lens at 150mm at 1 second on a Velbon 660 fully extended and the shots were sharp, yes, you can extend the column on the Gitzo.
05-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my basic old Bogen 3021 with the center column up just about all the time. Plenty stable.
05-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I understand that, which is why I was asking about the stability of a tripod like a GITZO with its column extended. I didn't say I was buying another cheap tripod. I really just want to know if I buy a good quality tripod that extending the center column isn't as bad as some people want you to believe. I'm looking for something tall that is still somewhat portable. I'm trying not to worry too much about price, but I'm also not a pro. I see potentially good matches in the $400 to $700 range, but I don't want to throw that money out there to find that extending the column gives a poor result regardless of the tripod.

To answer that question from my own experience series 2 only...YES

I've been looking at these for if i ever venture into "lose your gear territory"
http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2011/gear/oben-tripods-reviewed/

Last edited by Clicker; 05-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.
05-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well, considering I've done tests of a crop camera+half kilo lens at 150mm at 1 second on a Velbon 660 fully extended and the shots were sharp, yes, you can extend the column on the Gitzo.
Actually, I think that is the tripod I have, and I have found that at 1 second everything is fine... At 3+ seconds, everything goes bad. I can get 30 seconds without the colum extended, which is probably fine since I wouldn't be stooping very long in that case anyway. I was just a bit frustrated at some 6 second shots I was trying to get last winter at night that ended up bad. In running through a gamut of 1 second to 15 second exposures, I could see with that tripod where 3 seconds was a magic number for image quality (obvious vibration).
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, if you need a tripod for 5+ second shots, take my advice: get a very solid 1,5m tripod and a camping chair.