Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this bag or that bag....

I am beginning to feel like Goldilocks and the 3 bears here.

Started out with a LowePro Slingshot 200AW...here are my thoughts on it:
1-great starter bag
2-limited, however.

explained---its nice for smaller lenses. Once I moved up and had a da* in the bag, it was an issue. only way the star fit in, was either on camera, or by sacrificing spots. and really, only on camera. and to me/for me, this is not a walk around lens.
when i had the kit lenses and a few others--the 50 prime and the fisheye--life was good with this bag. yes, as you add lenses, others come out of the kit...but its just not ideally sized for the star lens, IMHO

other issue I had with the bag is I have the occassional desire to bring a tripod around with me. Can't be done with the 200, unless im carrying a second case, which is generally a pain

so.....I got a new one
the Tamrac cyber case 6.

first thought when i saw it in Adorama before buying it? Holy ish this thing is huge
first thought when i started putting stuff in? Holy ish, it is really huge!

it's size is both a pro and a con for me. its great because when i travel-which fr this year is a ton-i can fit my macbook and all photo gear in what is a carry on bag for me. thats great.
the bad? i have a hard time picturing myself happily lugging that around town as a tourist when im afforded that luxury after my work is done. It's great because i can bring a lot of stuff, and the tripod straps are there....but i wouldnt tour around town with the laptop, and it's big enouh to likely be a pain in the butt. though, my limited travel post-purchase tells me it's not bad

so im thinking there's a happy middle point. obvioulsy i need to settle on a few lenses--probably my 16-45, 50-135 and fisheye at the very least....but i want the tripod to join in the fun. thats one reason i bought it.

so whats the point to the post? rambling LOL, and putting two pseudo bag reviews out there. both i think are good, but i still havent found one i love completely.

one thing i will say, is i think stores do a remarkably good job at making bag buying far too difficult. i went to adorama based on pricing and selection, but all but a few bags are only in storage. the ones on display are done so vertically on a wall...so you can look, but really not touch. i may go to my local shop again, as while they can be crazy, they spend more time selling to me, and that matters. when i asked at adorama for some recommendations of competing bags, he had no idea....i was like...wow....bad

i think ill like the cyber pack as the carry on, but i have a hunch the slingshot or similar will come on trips too

01-16-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 200 and also have similar lens range as you and have the laptop issue as well so I have been looking for an upgrade. Read a review in Australian Photography magazine of the Naneu Pro Urbangear U120 backpack. Seems like it would fit all 'our' gear but also take the laptop and the tripod without getting too big. 2.45kg unladen - Unique Camera Cases - Camera Bags, Messenger Bags, Laptop Cases & More | NaneuPro.com Doesnt look much -very squarish but that could be due to the laptop being against the back of the wearer. Delsey make a Go Pix 90 that is very similar in size but the laptop sits in the outermost pocket - doesn't seem so balanced or secure when opening to get out your camera.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 01-16-2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: fixing link
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am sort of mixed on those...they don't look too bad, but they don't really overly impress me either, however. Tho most people I've seen in forums who have them, like them.

I like the look of the domke bags, but so far as I know, none has a built in means to attach a tripod. I suppose I could bungee one to a domke, but im a fan of the idea that if I am paying that much for a bag, I should not have to become mac guyver to make it fully functional to my needs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I have the 200 and also have similar lens range as you and have the laptop issue as well so I have been looking for an upgrade. Read a review in Australian Photography magazine of the Naneu Pro Urbangear U120 backpack. Seems like it would fit all 'our' gear but also take the laptop and the tripod without getting too big. 2.45kg unladen - Unique Camera Cases - Camera Bags, Messenger Bags, Laptop Cases & More | NaneuPro.com Doesnt look much -very squarish but that could be due to the laptop being against the back of the wearer. Delsey make a Go Pix 90 that is very similar in size but the laptop sits in the outermost pocket - doesn't seem so balanced or secure when opening to get out your camera.
01-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me thinks I found a bag with promise--stopped in my local shop, which is also in NY but nowhere near as famous as the big 2...but thats a good thing because they have gotten to know me, and provide awesome service...

so i explained what i was looking for in a bag, and the guy shows off the lowepro micro trekker---and there are so many reasons for me to like this bag over the slingshot, or the cyberpack

Pros: Nice compact size, only a touch bigger than the slingshot at first glance, yet it appears to be bigger in enough ways to accomodate the 50-135 off camera. also it will allow me to strap a tripod to it, which is huge. nicer still is the fact i can wander around nyc without feeling like a massive dweeb...that cyber pack swallows everything, but it looks bad doing it.

Cons--only one thus far, in that it is not an AW equipped pack. since i havent loaded or used it yet, im limited here on additional feedback, but at first glance i believe the layout will serve me well.

i was not a fan of the slingshot--the concept sounded nice, but swinging it around to pull the camera out was not as convenient as you would have liked, and as i did it if i wanted to change a lens, i felt happier puttng the pack down first.

so, we shall see. I am hoping i like this, though i may still give a domke type bag a shot out of curiousity if nothing else. seems now that ive curbed LBA, I've developed either ABA or BBA

01-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW2. It can hold just about anything this side of a Grayhound bus. One minor complain is the weight of the bag itself: it is heavy. But the thing is so well made, if adjusted properly, you can hardly feel the thing on your back (take my word for it: I'm not build like Kevin Sorbo). It sometime is a pain having to put it down to access your thing, but it is well padded and protect your equipment very well, and the kind of photography I'm doing most of the time, I don't have to rush.