Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Luma Cinch - Pure Awesomeness ?

1. Is anyone using this strap? Any opinions out there about it? I know it hasn't been around for long, but any pros or cons vs. the competitors would be much appreciated. I've seen threads in other forums, but PF opinions are so much more respected in my books! I have one on order, but I can never gather enough info. From what I've read, I can't find a reason not to like it!
  2. If you have one, why aren't you shouting about it from the rooftops?!? It seriously looks fantastic and the company is still very small. I'm sure they could use all the help they can get!
Thanks!

05-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

I had not ever heard of it. But it looks really great. I may have to order one. This looks like a kick ass strap.
Thank you for posting this.
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Where are my manners?!? Might be helpful if I had a link for the next passerby.

http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmm, this looks interesting. I was just recently thinking something similar, that someone should make a strap with just 2 or 3 prominent loops where you could just manually reposition a pre-attached quick-release hook or some kind of snap ring, to quickly change the length. Same idea, not sure if someone already makes something like that. With my idea, you need 2 hands .... but if you watch the video for the luma carefully, it looks like you also need 2 hands to adjust the strap. Anyhow, not a bad idea, let me know if you get one, and how you like it.

I hope you're not trolling for Luma ....

05-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Tanzer,

Your idea sounds interesting. Based on how many new carrying systems there are popping up these days, I'd say there's lots of room in the market for new ideas. Not enough people are coming up with new concepts and I seriously support those that do! You should pursue it and see what happens!

Here in Alberta, BR seemed to be my only sling option that I could buy locally (always prefer to buy something I can touch first when possible) and a couple years back, it seemed pretty solid. Today, I still love my BR strap, but I switched from a Manfrotto to a Giottos tripod last year and the QR plate didn't jive with with options that BR offered, so... off and on went the sling attachment and the QR plate...not the end of the world, but I when I read about the Cinch, I thought I should give it a shot since it's supposed to work with any QR plate....the more I read, the more I was interested....I just use PF as my ultimate source of knowledge when it comes to all things photography, and I was shocked that there wasn't already significant discussion about it here!...I hate to say it, but for someone that reads on the site nearly every day, I seriously don't do enough posting....Guess I was always the quiet kid that let others ask the questions in school

So...I may have had to look up the definition of trolling to answer your last point accurately but!...I'm pretty sure that I'm not trolling for Luma. As I understand it, a troll is someone with negative intent/ malicious motive. I genuinely want to know if there are any people on the PF that have something to share about the Cinch! From my perspective, it looks pretty fantastic, so if people haven't heard about it, I want to pass along a pretty interesting idea.

I have one on order up here in sunny Alberta, but I"m taking a trip down to Washington next weekend. I got in touch with the Luma down in Oregon to see if they could expedite shipping so that I could use it on the trip (email to random help address) and the owner got back to me and offered to send it to the place I'm staying in Washington! Pretty awesome customer service so far!

I'll be sure to post a little about the strap once I've got a chance to use it a little. Thanks for listening!
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great! Good to know they have good customer service, those who do always get preference as far as I am concerned.

Don't be put off by the "trolling" remark, I didn't mean that in the negative sense ... I think trolling can also mean someone who posts comments in a somewhat deceptive or disingenuous manner, sometimes just for humorous purposes to see what kind of resonses they will get .... and what I meant was simply that "I hope you're not secretly working and advertising for Luma", that's all. Anyhow, I hope you will have a chance to write up your impressions of the strap after you've had a chance to try it.

Best regards.
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

I have been using the Cinch strap for a month now and it delivers exactly what is described in the Luma-Labs video and write up which are very well done. I have used OP-Tech & Sun Sniper sling Straps and "for me" the Cinch Strap delivers on the features I wanted. Very comfortable and versatile. It can be worn as a sling/shoulder/neck strap. Only high quality parts on this strap.

One of the things that impressed me compared to other straps I have used is it's "very low profile presence" when worn. No bulky shoulder pad, no quick clips and no high profile camera connection lugs. You will also appreciate how well it goes in your bag. Folds up nicely whether I am packing it away in my backpack/sling bag/small shoulder bag.The strap camera lug is very low profile/high quality part.

Another important feature is that I can use the Cinch strap on the left side of my camera.This puts the strap away from the right side/control side and out of my face when doing verticals especially with grip.

I have an Op-tech wrist strap that I use on the left side of my camera which works well for me with grip on or off. When using the Op-tech sling attachment I have to use it on the right side-by design-which does not work for me.

I am not usually a fan of neck straps for walk-around/street shooting.The fact that I use my grip most of the time adds enough weight that there is the eventual fatigue and strain on my back plus for walk around everybody sees you coming. With the Cinch trap I can easily use it as a neck strap then put my arm through to go back to sling mode, Very easy to switch "styles of carry" for different situations.

I do like the sliding carabiner and swivel camera lug on the Sun Sniper but not the bulk of the shoulder pad which has to be centered and the single point connection that has to hold the full weight of my camera with grip. It also puts the camera "lens out" with the camera back rubbing against me and to much bounce/swing. Not so with the Cinch strap which is so "low profile" most wouldn't think "camera strap" if they even notice. Very comfortable and effective in a desirable/understated way.

The cinch allows you to easily adjust the camera position on the fly. Very useful when you want it cinched close to your body or more around your back "lens down" when hiking/climbing/boating-- you just pull up or down on the cinch tab to the position you want. Very stable--much less bounce/swing--always adjustable--no need to have a hand on camera--very nice.

I tend to use it as a sling most of the time but also over the shoulder/neck strap for different situations and it is a very comfortable strap---no fatigue--.
If you want to read more "user discussion" on the Cinch just goggle "Cinch camera strap review"

Last edited by jcp5; 10-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.