Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the "fastest" circular polarizer?

Is it just the Singh-Ray LB Warm Circular Polarizer, which only adds 1-1/3 f-stop to an exposure, that is the "fastest" circ. polarizer out there? I'd like to know if there any that are just as fast if not faster, ex. 1 f-stop.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 05-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
05-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like almost every filter company now offers a "fast" CP filter. I'm guessing that someone developed a "faster" polarizing foil and all the filter companies buy that stock. I'm using the new fast B+W, but similar is available from Heliopan and I recently saw an ad for faster CP from low end Kenko as well.
05-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Do they state exactly how many f-stops of light they block?
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizing Multi-Resistant Coated Filter | Points in Focus Photography

QuoteQuote:
The B+W Kaesemann circular polarizers are rated with a filter factor of 2.3 to 2.8 or stopping between 1.2 and 1.4 stops. This is right in line with most quality modern circular polarizers and better than the 2 stop (filter factor of 4) loss of lower quality circular polarizers. In practice, the actual effect on the exposure is going to depend on how much of the scene is polarized light, and how much of that is being blocked.

That said; if you’re just using the polarizer to eat light, don’t expect more than about 1-1/3 stops out of these polarizers.

05-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That doesn't make any physical and optical sense.

The only things you can improve on a "better" polarizer are

absorption and reflection by the material used to make the filter

degree of maximum polarization attained

With completely randomly polarized light, a real polarizer will cut half the light coming towards you. That's physics. There is no way around it in this universe.

The only sense I make of the claims mentioned here is that it almost never happens that you get 100% randomly polarized light. There is always a (smaller or larger) bias towards one polarization in real life. Soooooooo, it's possible to orient a polarizer in such a way that you loose less than a stop, in real life situations. BUT it does NOT mean that manufacturers have found a way to create light magically.

The other explanation might be that these polarizers are so cheap and poor quality that they fail to reject light properly, as they should. Care to bet?
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, Anvh! I've just ordered the B+W Kaesemann.