Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Travel, Cuba, flatsfishing...what to bring?

In about a month i'm going to Cuba for two weeks on vacation. The plan is to spend a few days in Havana, and take it from there. All i know is i'm going to fish for bonefish for a couple of days. I haven't been on a trip like this for 9 years, and never with a camera, so i'm looking for a few tips:

-general pointers about Cuba, places of (photographic) interest, people, sites, etc, and useable focal lengths for arcitechture, people, general travel shots.
-pointers on flatsfishing with a dslr. How to store the camera while fishing? What lenses to bring? What filters are a must in those bright conditions?
-storing camera equipment in waterproof bags with high temperatures. Good idea, or is it asking for trouble with condensation? Is the waterproof bag effectively going to be like a steam-oven?

05-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
storing camera equipment in waterproof bags

I'll cover this one first; because it something I'm quite familiar with... When you mean waterprof bags - I use a few different extremes of them. Sure I'll use the larger sizes of the strongest version of plastic resealable bags that I can find. But also remember; to squeeze out the air using caution when doing so. Also remember that the seams frequently do give out. It would also be best to try to ensure than anything going into the bag is as dry as possible; that way you won't run into many issues.

Also consider the next step up - a type of EWA (much stronger) bag. These come in quite the variety of sizes; and most allow a version of a type of shooting through them - to some extent. Some are even technically waterproof - to a point.

An additional consideration... The gadget bag. It depends on whether one would prefer a hard sided case or a soft sided one. I would suggest a soft sided; either a Tamrac or a LowePro. Also one that has either an optional or built in rain cover. Or you might even want to look into the LowePro DZ series; there's benefits and a few minor drawbacks - but also consider that each SD has complete waterproor compartments - against all weather.

And now the major issues...

I would suggest either a K-01 or an entry level DSLR. BUT you only have a few weeks to get up to speed on the entire thing - and then possibly adapt to it.

To continue along those lines... Keep it simple; two or three lens; two batteries, and two memory cards. Also shoot in either RAW or RAW+JPEG.

...And nothing else...

For most other people experienced a bit more into photography; I'd almost throw in the kitchen sink as long as one could comfortably carry it around. Everthing from polarizing filters for each of the lens', and all kinds of other gear.
05-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I have been looking at the Lowepro DZ bags, which are wateproof and floats and whatnot, but i think they are too expensive for what they are. Waterproof, allright, but it's still just a small backpack. I'll probably wish i had one when i'm falling on my ass in the sea, but...
I'll try a few waterproof bags. They are not new to me, but having a camera in one is - good tip about pressing all the air out, and being careful with items stored in it being dry. I have a K5, so i'm not worried of a little drizzle, i am worried about tripping and falling in the sea, submerging it, while fishing.