Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you carry your camera for action?

The recent post of camera straps started me thinking about a thread on another forum. Hiking or canoeing wilderness landscape/ wildlife photographers have a situations where it really helps to have a camera with a long lens ready at all times. I've been in threads on other forums with people recommending hip holsters, among other things. Hip holsters scare me, if I ever took a tumble, I'm not sure I'd be able to protect the camera, maybe I'm just being a paranoid. Anyone have a system for keeping a camera ready, when your hands have to be free for other things?

05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use a harness. The harness I use uses the same quick connect connectors as my straps, so the system goes together flawlessly.

Here is the harness -> OP/TECH USA Dual Harness (Regular) 6501032 B&H Photo Video

Here are the straps -> OP/TECH USA Classic Strap (Red) 1002252 B&H Photo Video

If I was to take a tumble, I could grab the camera and hold it up as the strap leads are pretty long - you still need to react pretty fast though to do that...
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I go out in a weed boat and canoe about twice a week. I have a yellow Pelican case that will float. I have it set up to hold my K20d with DA* 300mm and K200d with 18-55 WR and a place for the D FA 100WR. I have reusable silica gel packs in there as well as spare batter packs etc. I use the optec strap system. I chose the yellow case for 2 main reasons. #1, I will be able to find it should the boat get turned over. #2, it doesn't heat up in the sun like a black case will. You may not like yellow or find it suitable, but I recommend a light color for outdoor use. In the Optech system, I have a harness (single), wrist straps and standard style Optech.

Last edited by Blue; 05-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
05-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I use a harness. The harness I use uses the same quick connect connectors as my straps, so the system goes together flawlessly.

Here is the harness -> OP/TECH USA Dual Harness (Regular) 6501032 B&H Photo Video

Here are the straps -> OP/TECH USA Classic Strap (Red) 1002252 B&H Photo Video

If I was to take a tumble, I could grab the camera and hold it up as the strap leads are pretty long - you still need to react pretty fast though to do that...

Hey Joe - I've looked at this before, but I was concerned about the way the cameras hang. It seems like it would be very handy for "stationary" shooting - like at weddings or kid's sporting events - but if used for hiking it seems like the cameras would be bouncing all over your waist/thighs as you walk/climb. Ever experience this, or am I over-thinking?

Thanks,

Tim

05-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Hey Joe - I've looked at this before, but I was concerned about the way the cameras hang. It seems like it would be very handy for "stationary" shooting - like at weddings or kid's sporting events - but if used for hiking it seems like the cameras would be bouncing all over your waist/thighs as you walk/climb. Ever experience this, or am I over-thinking?
They do bounce, but not a whole lot and its really not like a bounce but like a small swing, but again not too much. The straps on the harness can be adjusted for LONG or SHORT, this is handy to size it up so you can actually keep the camera attached and still shoot. I have never really tried to shorten the leads but by design I think the shorter the leads the less bounce (really swing and no bounce) there would be.

It looks like @Blue uses the same setup, maybe he can provide some more insight into it...

----

FWIW, all in all this op/tech system is a great system and I have not had any complaints.
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey joe or Blue, with the strap it seems like it would get in the way of backpack shoulder straps, at least the generic brand I had did. Is the harness thin enough that you can just let backpack straps to go over the top of it and not feel cumbersome? Thanks!
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The recent post of camera straps started me thinking about a thread on another forum. Hiking or canoeing wilderness landscape/ wildlife photographers have a situations where it really helps to have a camera with a long lens ready at all times. I've been in threads on other forums with people recommending hip holsters, among other things. Hip holsters scare me, if I ever took a tumble, I'm not sure I'd be able to protect the camera, maybe I'm just being a paranoid. Anyone have a system for keeping a camera ready, when your hands have to be free for other things?
What lens would you typically have on your camera body?

05-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i am in the woods or on the water everyday...i have multiple systems depending on what i am doing and the mood i am in...the pelican box as stated on the boat works great...i have the OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling and can hang it on my side and have my hands free and when my neck is bothering me i use the cotton carrier and have the camera on my chest and it can get to it at any point..you mentioned taking a tumble but personally the best way to protect the camera is have your hands free...imo
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me just about anything that Black Rapids makes is excellent for hiking and then some. My current RS-4 strap

RS-4 R-Strap

Works great. I use them all the time for just about everything with the exception of my 100-500mm samyang aka rocket launcher lens. As an old rock climber I'm used to having a rack of gear slung like this and the camera is no different. I actually have two of them and their doubler system but I've not used that very much.

When I'm out sea kayaking, I'll have the camera in a pelican box too just for safety.
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
For me just about anything that Black Rapids makes is excellent for hiking and then some. My current RS-4 strap

RS-4 R-Strap

Works great. I use them all the time for just about everything with the exception of my 100-500mm samyang aka rocket launcher lens. As an old rock climber I'm used to having a rack of gear slung like this and the camera is no different. I actually have two of them and their doubler system but I've not used that very much.
Do you wear a backpack over the top of the strap?
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Hey joe or Blue, with the strap it seems like it would get in the way of backpack shoulder straps, at least the generic brand I had did.
No, it does not - I just put on the harness and my backpack at the same time and everything was fine - a shoulder bag would be an issue but not a backpack...
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use the Optech system, using the sling but with a narrower Envy strap instead as it is comfortable and I find the standard straps too wide for my liking.
I keep the camera attached with only the left point as I use a generic hand strap on the right side of the camera.
When walking I keep my right hand in the camera strap to keep it from swinging and to be ready to shoot.
By itself the setup will swing a bit when walking.
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a few different ways to deal with this too.

For mountain biking I put the camera in a Zing neoprene case or a small OR dry bag and stash it in my mountain biking pack. Access isn't as quick as other methods, but I can't have anything swinging around when I'm mountain biking. Too dangerous for me and the gear!

If I'm on foot or riding a bike around town I use a Black Rapid RS Sport strap. I like the little stops the strap has to control where the camera hangs. Works well.

If I'm skiing or flat water kayaking I use a Clik Elite chest pack with bigger lenses, or the chest pocket of my parka if I'm just bringing a small prime.
Here's me with the chest pack:

05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kayak all the time with a camera or two with me.

Depending on where I am, i go out with either one or two bodies, each in its own drybag. one thing to consider, any waterproof container is also a good way to immerse your camera with water if left open, so I only go in and out of the dry bag when in still (read this as relatively safe) waters. Once the camera is in or out of the bag it is re-closed. I had one camera swamped when it was in the drybag, which i had left open, and subsequently had a big wave come over the side. luckily my *istD dried out and has worked just fine for 8 years since, but i learned a lot from that experience.

I always take multiple bodies because i never want to change a lens while out on the water. Just too much risk, as the camera is open, both hands are occupied, your gear case/bag is open, etc....
05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys, I clicked on your links, lots of good ideas there. Next time I go down to the big city, I'll have some things to investigate.

QuoteQuote:
I always take multiple bodies because i never want to change a lens while out on the water. Just too much risk, as the camera is open, both hands are occupied, your gear case/bag is open, etc....
I've dumped the contents of a Pelican case into the bottom of the boat before. No damage but, it there'd been a half inch of water in the boat, as there often is, I shudder just thinking about it. In the boat I use the Optio W90. Lately I've been using the K20D with an ordinary camera bag that I keep inside a dry bag. The 18-135 is on it all the time and I don't change it. I'm not sure that is any more convenient than using a Pelican case. I've noticed from time to time the snap of the Pelican case opening spooks wildlife. The dry bag seems better for that.

Last edited by normhead; 05-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.