Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
new GPS photo tracker

ATP Photo Finder

I want one!! 76.36 pounds, about $150 US but no US distribution yet.

01-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool widget, but best I can tell it only writes information to JPEGs and not RAW files.
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Cool widget, but best I can tell it only writes information to JPEGs and not RAW files.
You are right. I sent them an email asking when/if it will be compatible with RAW and where it is available in the states.
01-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
76.36 pounds
I thought you meant it's weight, lol.

01-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

why do I need to get another GPS?

I already have a garmin 301 wrist watch, for work outs, and a garmin GPSmap 76CSx for hiking and driving?

Can't I just get software to look at my files and compare to the GPS download?
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Regken, if you find out, could you post the info here? Thanks!
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I already have a garmin 301 wrist watch, for work outs, and a garmin GPSmap 76CSx for hiking and driving?

I've been looking for a program that will do just that. The solutions that seem to be available require a heck of a lot more programing ability than I have. if you know of a solution for computer dummies I'd love to know about it.
01-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
Whatever info I get I'll pass along.

01-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

If you can create a GPX file, there are several programs that will write the location info into EXIF, using the time as reference.

Try Geosetter, RoboGeo, LocationStamper, GPicSync etc. etc.

Have a look at my website (signature) and album GPSTEST for a demo. Export to Google Earth and then start a Tour
Also the album Travel > Private Trips > Malaysia is fully Geotagged.

Last edited by baw; 01-17-2008 at 12:46 PM.
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got a response

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
The following is the response I got from the company and my reply.

effray,

Thank you for your reply. The price is right and am sure you will sell a lot of them. However, as an active participant on pentaxforums.com the majority of owners of DSLR's seem to be holding out for a solution that works with RAW files. The same comments were being voiced at dpreview. There seem to be a lot of us that would be buyers of your product today if it worked with RAW exif files.

I will post your response on pentaxforums for other people that expressed an interest.

Thank You

Ken

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We expect to initially have the Photo Finder available at select retailers such as Costco.com within a few weeks and with many other online retailers by the end of January. We also, however, expect one of our smaller online partners mydigitaldiscount.com to have a shipment within a few days. MRSP will be $99.99. In regards to your question 1), unfortunately our current version of the Photo Finder only supports JPEG standard photo files and not any RAW standard formats at this time. You can check out photofinder.atpinc.com for more information or you can contact me directly if you have any other specific questions.

Thanks!

Jeffray Hsieh

Product Marketing Manager

ATP Electronics, Inc.

Direct: 408.732.5834

Mobile: 408.220.5268

Fax: 408.732.5055
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
and
Veteran Member

Another product that stupidly does not support RAW. I would buy one of those eye fi cards if they supported raw files. Actually thats a worse case, because it would actually be easier to implement ransfering any file type then to make a filter that only allows jpeg files to be transferred.
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
If you can create a GPX file, there are several programs that will write the location info into EXIF, using the time as reference.

Try Geosetter, RoboGeo, LocationStamper, GPicSync etc. etc.

Have a look at my website (signature) and album GPSTEST for a demo. Export to Google Earth and then start a Tour
Also the album Travel > Private Trips > Malaysia is fully Geotagged.
Thanks GPX is no problem, exports created from garmin map source. It just means I need my computer as the go between, and would need to do download daily to insure correct time sync with data points. Saving track logs compresses them and strips time of day data from them.
01-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Another product that stupidly does not support RAW. I would buy one of those eye fi cards if they supported raw files. Actually thats a worse case, because it would actually be easier to implement ransfering any file type then to make a filter that only allows jpeg files to be transferred.
Jpegs are the same no matter what camera takes them - RAWs are different in every single camera. Its totally understandable why they don't support RAW. Heck, even if they did they'd probably only support Canon and Nikon formats anyhow (maybe DNG if we were lucky)
01-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Another product that stupidly does not support RAW.
It's more a case of cameramanufacturers stupidly creating new raw file types for almost every new camera (eg. Nikon D3/D300), and consumers stupidly buying these cameras.
01-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
and
Veteran Member

As for the eye fi, raw file formats doesnt matter, its just a matter of transferring the file.

as for the gps, if I was the firmware programmer and was told to add support for all current dSLRs then I dont think that would be a huge challenge... I certainly wouldnt respond with "thats impossible!" And if I was doing marketing, I would think that "power users" are more likely to get this kind of gadget than casual snappers and those users typically get more advanced cameras.

There are even two freeware programming libraries that support several camera raw formats, not the latest cameras mind you. but if its a company willing to pay for libraries then this task can be done

Last edited by and; 01-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.