Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Non-Pentax brand battery grips?

As the title implies, I am looking to possibly upgrade my k10d and add a battery grip. Looking for a used D-BG2 but I have come across an exorbitant amount of non-pentax/off brand cherp(er) ones. Are any these any good? If the batteries used in grip are good, does the grip matter so much? Some advice from the more experienced pentaxians would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

05-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally haven't used the cheaper alternative grips but came across a fair back of discussion on these forums some time ago when the K20D was still in production. Simply put, apart from the grips not being weather proof, they're functionally the same. They'll just feel different - a more plastic feel that isn't guaranteed to even match the texture/look of your camera. If the look and feel don't matter and you simply want function, then you would be fine in getting these cheaper grips.

Hope that helps.
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I never understand why people buy some aftermarket products that are clear copies/clones or rip-offs of legitimate products. I can understand, a generic grip that works with a so and so camera, but I can't fathom buying a reversed-engineered clone, just to save a few dollars. Aside from the actual quality loss of aftermarket, I can't condone piracy or loss of revenue to Pentax in buying one of those clones.

Now if Pentax allows the company that actually makes the OEM grip to sell a few under a no-name brand as a way to subsidize R&D, I can understand that.

To my knowledge, that is not the case in the clones of the OEM grips.

I'd say buy Pentax OEM on principle alone.
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I personally haven't used the cheaper alternative grips but came across a fair back of discussion on these forums some time ago when the K20D was still in production. Simply put, apart from the grips not being weather proof, they're functionally the same. They'll just feel different - a more plastic feel that isn't guaranteed to even match the texture/look of your camera. If the look and feel don't matter and you simply want function, then you would be fine in getting these cheaper grips.

Hope that helps.
I got cha. Not really trying to go cheap and pay the price (no pun intended) with it affecting my k10d.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I never understand why people buy some aftermarket products that are clear copies/clones or rip-offs of legitimate products. I can understand, a generic grip that works with a so and so camera, but I can't fathom buying a reversed-engineered clone, just to save a few dollars. Aside from the actual quality loss of aftermarket, I can't condone piracy or loss of revenue to Pentax in buying one of those clones.

Now if Pentax allows the company that actually makes the OEM grip to sell a few under a no-name brand as a way to subsidize R&D, I can understand that.

To my knowledge, that is not the case in the clones of the OEM grips.

I'd say buy Pentax OEM on principle alone.
You kind of hit the nail on the head. I am very partial to buying cheap just to save some and in the long run, the cheap(er) item fails in a fourth the time or never works to begin with. I was in no way trying to be an advocate toward cheap knock-offs. I really wanted to know the consensus and if there are any OEM-type replacement made by a direct or a third party under pentax. I know cheap and many of the ones I've come across are beyond cheap. I wouldn't waste my $20-30.

I guess not. I will try and find a used Pentax one.

05-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

I use one. It's fine. Don't worry.
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I guess not. I will try and find a used Pentax one.
Smart, and you won't regret it
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know it's not the same model but I have a K-7 with a Hong Kong D-BG4 and after 5mths of some serious use the buttons are starting to fail, especially the fire button. I don't always get half press everytime and then you really have to push harder to get a picture.

So I'm going original Pentax and make the same suggestion to. If you shop around on eBay and Amazon you might find a cheaper original if not secondhand. keep you eye out in here, some other members might like to part with theirs when they upgrade

05-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You get what you pay for.

Seriously, support Pentax and get a brand-name grip.
05-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's the other way round for me. The cheapo Chinese battery grip that I use on my K5 actually has a better shutter release button then the one on my K5. I can actually feel half pressing. On the K5 body I only know that I'm half pressing because the AF kicks into action.

And you know what, if the buttons on the cheap battery grip starts to fail, then I'll just buy another, and another, and another. And then I'll still have paid less then with a OEM grip.

Moreover, my cheap battery grip gets the cheap aftermarket batteries. I don't want them to leak in my K5 body! I don't care if they leak in that cheap grip. Not that they ever did leak though.

And I'm not bothered by not supporting Pentax. We don't support Pentax when we buy second hand or off-brand lenses either.
05-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Except in the event of failure and in the worst case, lithium ion batteries don't leak... they either catch fire or explode... that's why there is always this issue being brought up by mail couriers and airlines about transporting them.
05-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am steering toward a used Pentax version. I think i'll hold off tho, wasn't in a rush but will purchase in the future. I have an extra battery (li-on), two total for my k10d which is my weather sealed back up to my K-r anyway. I have plenty of juice for my k-r with 3 li-on batteries and AA adapter/holder.
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Moreover, my cheap battery grip gets the cheap aftermarket batteries. I don't want them to leak in my K5 body! I don't care if they leak in that cheap grip. Not that they ever did leak though.

And I'm not bothered by not supporting Pentax. We don't support Pentax when we buy second hand or off-brand lenses either.
As stated before: lithium ion batteries do not leak.

Buying second-hand is still supporting Pentax as Pentax made the initial sale of that name-branded good anyway. But in-terms of supporting Pentax it's not even about the money; it's about the fact that these grips are not OEM-approved. It's like paying money for pirated software. Plus, why on earth would you be willing to buy a sub-par product over and over as it continually breaks instead of buying an OEM one once and it'll last you as long as you need it? That's logic I'll never understand.
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
It's like paying money for pirated software.
Except for the part that it's not illegal in any possible way.

Plus, why on earth would you be willing to buy a sub-par product over and over as it continually breaks instead of buying an OEM one once
If you read carefully, then you see that I said "if". If it breaks down at all. My aftermarket grip hasn't broken down. I even stated that the shutter release button is better then the one on my K5.

But if it would break down at some point though... It would take 5+ times to become more expensive then the buying the OEM version. That makes the odds extremely unlikely.

and it'll last you as long as you need it? That's logic I'll never understand.
Now that's to be debated. We all know of the Pentax QC issues. But we're unfamiliar with any QC issues of Meike battery grip. Sorry, now I'm just teasing.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.