Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Couple more shots at 800mm handheld.

I am going to have to rethink about not taking this lens around given the results I was able to achieve fairly easily without tripod. On a bright day like today it is quite hand-holdable. I guess the cheap T-mount ring doesn't affect it too much.
It only comes with a very soft pouch which would not cut it, and would need a proper case, though. Hood and a UV and polarizing filters would also be handy. I suspect even going cheap, those 4 accessories will probably cost a minimum of $100 altogether.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by madbrain; 08-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
excanonfd,

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
This lens isn't going to used hand held too often, though I am sure we'll try - often.
Here is a link that might help you since you are buying this lens, for a Rokinon 105mm UV filter .

105mm UV Protective Filter for 800mm Mirror Lens | eBay

Otherwise, without filter, the front element is open, and dust will settle inside the lens. I am ordering mine today.

Re: the hood, I wish there were collapsible rubber lens hoods with 105mm diameter, but I was not able to find any in that size.
I think I will spring for the proper Samyang lens hood despite its price. Being able to put it on the lens when transporting it is worth it.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any US seller for it, only foreign, Hong Kong and South Korea.

I am not quite sure about the polarizer.

I found the following 105mm front polarizer :
Professional High Definition Circular polarizer 105mm for 120-300mm 500mm 105 | eBay

$26.99 is not bad considering the 105mm size. However, the polarizer will rotate with the focus ring on this lens. This is not ideal.
I wonder if I should use a rear polarizer instead. Having both a front UV filter and rear CPL would protect the lens on both sides, also. I'm less sure what it will do to the image. 30.5mm CPLs are very cheap, starting around $5, so I guess I will try that first.

The bag for it is still a major question. The lens is fairly high, minimum 131.5mm, and that's without the t-ring or rear k-mount cap.
http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=800F8.0MIRROR.pdf
It might fit in a DSLR bag in the space normally designated for the body. Maybe if I find a bag for 2 bodies, it would work. I also do have 2 bodies (1 Pentax / 1 Canon), so maybe a bag for 3 bodies ? Man, this hobby is an expensive one

My current single bag DSLR bag is clearly insufficient, it won't fit both this lens and a body, and it is not weather proof, which has been an issue in the past on a couple of occasions.
05-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks for the links, madbrain.

I will probably forego the UV filter - I will have either the lens hood and the lens cap on at all times. The front polarizer would be good for increasing contrast, cutting through atmospheric haze - I could very well leave the polarizer filter on at all times if I am willing to lose a stop or so of light. I would advise against a rear polarizing filter, I think it would be a major hassle to mount and dismount the lens from the body to adjust the polarizer. If you want to protect the rear element (though I don't see the need) you might think about getting a quality UV filter for the rear. Rotating front element isn't much of a problem with this lens because of the short focus throw, and it isn't as if you would be constantly adjusting focus from MFD to infinity. I'd never found it to be a problem when shooting with a polarizer lens.

For a lens bag, here is what I have bought in the past for my lenses: New Protector Padded Camera Lens Bag Case Pouch E18 | eBay I have 2 of them, one for my Tamron SP 30A 80-200/2.8 zoom and the other for the Tamron SP 60B 300/2.8 lens. I have the 30A with the lens hood mounted in the shooting position in the bag along with a palm rest, focusing aid mounted on the tripod ring. I am not so lucky with the 60B, whose lens hood simply will not fit inside the bag - absolute pita to carry around separately. I hope I can find a lens bag whose inside base diameter is about 150mm.

With this bag, should you opt for the Sonia lens hood (cheaper option), you should be able to leave the lens hood mounted and the lens capped on both ends, inside this bag. You really cannot carry this lens inside any camera bag without drastically rearranging the configuration around, if it means having to carry this bag around to protect the 800mm lens, maybe the less expensive lens hood option could be the better way to go.
05-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
excanonfd,

Thanks for the links, madbrain.
The front polarizer would be good for increasing contrast, cutting through atmospheric haze - I could very well leave the polarizer filter on at all times if I am willing to lose a stop or so of light.
I doubt you will really want to leave it on all the time, you need all the light you can get with this lens.

QuoteQuote:
I would advise against a rear polarizing filter, I think it would be a major hassle to mount and dismount the lens from the body to adjust the polarizer.
You mean to install or remove the polarizer. Yes, I can see how that would be a pain. But to adjust it, you would just turn the lens, right ?

QuoteQuote:
For a lens bag, here is what I have bought in the past for my lenses: New Protector Padded Camera Lens Bag Case Pouch E18 | eBay
Thanks, that looks like a good bag. But I think it will be tight for this lens, not sure it will fit. The outer diameter is listed as 110mm which is exactly the 11cm inside listed for the bag.

QuoteQuote:
I hope I can find a lens bag whose inside base diameter is about 150mm.
Damn, that's huge. Someone really needs to make a large collapsible rubber hoods IMO.

QuoteQuote:
With this bag, should you opt for the Sonia lens hood (cheaper option), you should be able to leave the lens hood mounted and the lens capped on both ends, inside this bag. You really cannot carry this lens inside any camera bag without drastically rearranging the configuration around, if it means having to carry this bag around to protect the 800mm lens, maybe the less expensive lens hood option could be the better way to go.
Actually, I found that isn't the case, the Rokinon 800mm lens fits nicely in my camera bag, which is a Tamrac Messenger 4 along with the K-r body with a DA18-250 on it, and a flash. There might not be enough room for a hood, however, even the expensive one that reverts, but perhaps with more adjustments it would work. I wouldn't bet on it. Here are some pics, first without the body and then with it. My bag is also fitted with an extra lens bag attached to the side. The DA 55-300 fits nicely in there.

This is the bag :
Amazon.com: Tamrac 5534 Adventure Messenger 4 Camera Bag (Gray/Black): Camera & Photo
And this is the lens case that I have attached to the side :
Amazon.com: Tamrac MX5378 BlackMX5378 MAS Lens Case Large (Black): Electronics

I do own one more lens that won't fit in there now, the Sigma 10-20. If I remove the DA 55-300 from the external pocket, the Sigma will fit, but not its hard 77mm lens hood - it makes the lens too wide to fit.
I just bought the DA 55-300 used last week, I have had a bit of an L.B.A attack. It is a very nice lens but I am thinking I may not really need it, the 50mm beyond the DA 18-250 are not really all that critical. Especially if my bag already contains an 800mm lens that can do 1600mm with the T-mount TC, which is very small and also fits in the bag in the front pocket

Last edited by madbrain; 08-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.
05-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote

You mean to install or remove the polarizer. Yes, I can see how that would be a pain. But to adjust it, you would just turn the lens, right ?
How do you turn the lens once it's locked on the body? Do you intend to loosen the 3 set screws on the T2 mount and rotate the lens? I think that would start introducing variables like altering the register distance, lens de-centring or not being able to focus - my focus ring on the Rokinon 500/6.3 is quite stiff.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks, that looks like a good bag. But I think it will be tight for this lens, not sure it will fit. The outer diameter is listed as 110mm which is exactly the 11cm inside listed for the bag.
My Tamron 300/2.8 has a filter diameter of 112mm, if I add about 6-10mm to that I should arrive at the maximum outer diameter for the lens. There should be no problem storing the Rokinon 800/8.0 in this bag.

QuoteQuote:
Damn, that's huge. Someone really needs to make a large collapsible rubber hoods IMO.
I am not a fan of collapsible lens hoods, they take up more space than the max diameter of the lens and when stuffed into a cramped lens bag for a long periods of time, they deform out of shape. Hard metal/plastic lens hoods can also protect the front element from accidental knocks better than the collapsible type.

QuoteQuote:
Actually, I found that isn't the case, the Rokinon 800mm lens fits nicely in my camera bag, which is a Tamrac Messenger 4 along with the K-r body with a DA18-250 on it, and a flash. There might not be enough room for a hood, however, even the expensive one that reverts, but perhaps with more adjustments it would work. I wouldn't bet on it. Here are some pics, first without the body and then with it. My bag is also fitted with an extra lens bag attached to the side. The DA 55-300 fits nicely in there.
That's a nice compact bag, I use a Lowepro Daypack and with the daypack I am limited to a certain height in the lower camera storage compartment. I carry the longer lenses like the 300/2.8 with the lens bag in the unpadded upper compartment along with other necessities for a hike. Too often, I carry far more than I need but better safe than sorry.
05-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

How do you turn the lens once it's locked on the body? Do you intend to loosen the 3 set screws on the T2 mount and rotate the lens?
I don't see why any screws would need to be loosened. The circularizer polarizer would be mounted on top of the T2 ring, ie. in between the lens and the t-ring. This should allow me to rotate the lens.

QuoteQuote:
I think that would start introducing variables like altering the register distance, lens de-centring or not being able to focus - my focus ring on the Rokinon 500/6.3 is quite stiff.
Distance wise, I don't think it would be a problem, given that it works with the 2X teleconverter which is quite long. The focus scale might be off a bit possibly.
Yes, the focus ring on the 800/8.0 is quite stiff too. This could cause the polarizer to rotate instead of the focus. Maybe I will forget that idea and spring for the front polarizer.

QuoteQuote:
My Tamron 300/2.8 has a filter diameter of 112mm, if I add about 6-10mm to that I should arrive at the maximum outer diameter for the lens. There should be no problem storing the Rokinon 800/8.0 in this bag.
Then it sounds like you are set.

QuoteQuote:
I am not a fan of collapsible lens hoods, they take up more space than the max diameter of the lens and when stuffed into a cramped lens bag for a long periods of time, they deform out of shape. Hard metal/plastic lens hoods can also protect the front element from accidental knocks better than the collapsible type.
I could probably fit it in the front pocket of the bag though, not in the lens pocket, and it shouldn't deform there.

QuoteQuote:
That's a nice compact bag, I use a Lowepro Daypack and with the daypack I am limited to a certain height in the lower camera storage compartment. I carry the longer lenses like the 300/2.8 with the lens bag in the unpadded upper compartment along with other necessities for a hike. Too often, I carry far more than I need but better safe than sorry.
Yes, it really is a nice bag. The main problem is that it is not weather resistant. It was an issue when I was in London and Amsterdam a few years ago. We got really soaked, the top of the bag got wet and water started getting into the bag.
The K200D had WR, but I didn't have any WR lens. Everything was OK still with the camera equipment still.

I spent some time looking at the Tamrac web site for their other bag that fit more lenses and 2 bodies. It doesn't look like the larger ones are as flexible configuration wise. I would really have to see one in person and try with all my stuff to see if it can be done. But I don't know who would be selling the larger higher-end bags retail nowadays.
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Re: the original request for the T ring, I asked the dealer who sold me the lens to list the Rokinon brand T-ring for Pentax, and he did. Unfortunately, it is $19.95 . They said they couldn't do better as the manufacturer cost to them was $15.
T-Mount Adapter for Pentax 084438684308 | eBay
I bit the bullet and ordered it and hope it to receive it next week. I hope it is made like the Canon mount model, and is better quality than the Sonia.

The Sonia ring is really bad, there is so much play between the ring and the camera that I think dust could get into the camera. And I had some scares over the weekend when I though the mirror lens would fall when handholding.
On the other hand I still managed quite a few nice shots. I will look for the mirror lens club thread to post them. Can't find it at the moment.

Last edited by madbrain; 05-29-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
06-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I received the Rokinon T ring for Pentax today. Like the Canon ring, it is very well built. It is bigger than the Sonia and covers more of the camera mount, so that no dust can settle in. There is almost no play with the camera. I haven't tried it on tripod yet. There is no adjustment screw on the camera side however, only on the lens side still. I wish it was a bit less than $19.95, but it handily outperforms the $5 T ring .

I also received both of my 105mm filters. One is a $19.95 UV made by Rokinon. The other is a $26.99 polarizer made by Zeikos. They both come in an almost identical wallet.

The polarizer also had a Zeikos package that actually says "Digital multi-coated". Most Zeikos filters I have seen before do not claim to be multi-coated on the package (though many ebay/amazon sellers misleadingly claim that they are).

I have not had time to review their effects on the pictures yet.

The polarizer ring is very tight and the pressure needed to turn it is not even. I think there may be some shavings in the thread. It caused the heavy focus ring of the 800mm mirror lens to turn when I was turning the polarizer.