Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sling bags, do they sling?

I have a ordinary back bag (Lowepro Micro Trekker 200) which suits my purposes rather well, but it is also not too easy to use in situations like walking in the city centre.

I wonder if the so called sling bags are really useful in this respect, i.e. grabbing the camera out without taking the bag from your shoulder/back. Do they really sling with convenience?

01-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I have a ordinary back bag (Lowepro Micro Trekker 200) which suits my purposes rather well, but it is also not too easy to use in situations like walking in the city centre.

I wonder if the so called sling bags are really useful in this respect, i.e. grabbing the camera out without taking the bag from your shoulder/back. Do they really sling with convenience?
I have the lowpro 100 and it is great. You can get to the camera very easily. here is a video on how it works.
Lowepro SlingShotAW Spanish
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Gawan,
I've got the LowePro 200AW, and I like it a great deal. It's very easy to get to the camera with lens attached. However, I will say trying to swap out lenses when one of them is deep in the bag can be treacherous (dropping one of the lenses before they're swapped). To get to the lenses packed deep in the bag requires you to unzip the bag pretty much wide open. This exposes all your gear and if you're not careful, something could get dropped. And as another reader mentioned in another thread, if you forget to zip it back up...well...just always zip it to be safe.
01-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I have the lowpro 100 and it is great. You can get to the camera very easily. here is a video on how it works.
Lowepro SlingShotAW Spanish
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Hi Gawan,
I've got the LowePro 200AW, and I like it a great deal. It's very easy to get to the camera with lens attached. However, I will say trying to swap out lenses when one of them is deep in the bag can be treacherous (dropping one of the lenses before they're swapped). To get to the lenses packed deep in the bag requires you to unzip the bag pretty much wide open. This exposes all your gear and if you're not careful, something could get dropped. And as another reader mentioned in another thread, if you forget to zip it back up...well...just always zip it to be safe.
Thanks for the answers, video was heplful, but a word from actual users is always better

It seems like handy solution. As for digging deeper in the bag, I take it you can still keep it on your shoulder, only open the zippers more and be more careful. I now assume that the usefulness of the sling feature on at its most when using a smaller sling bag?

01-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got a 100 too and love it... and yes, it does "sling"

It's a very usefull bag, does 1 thing and does it right. Changing lenses while it's slung in front does take some getting used to, but I don't think it was designed for lense changing while wearing it. The built in rain cover is quite nice btw!

Pat

Last edited by ve2vfd; 01-19-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos... ugh
01-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that there is also a bag called Pentax Crossover Bag, which is a "sling" kind a model, in fact looks very much like Lowepro 100, anyone have it?
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Ed in GA

I had the Lowepro AW200 Slingshot but found it to be a little bit cumbersome.

I've tried the Lowepro Micro Trekker 100 and the 200.

I recently purchased, and am now using exclusively, the Pentax Sling bag.

The Micro Trekker 100 was nearly perfect but it wouldn't hold the K10D/BG-2 grip and the 16-45 Zoom.

The Micro Trekker 200 Held the K10D very nicely and a whole bunch of other stuff as well and I found that I was trying to carry my entire kit and accessories with me everyday. The bag sure got heavy,

Then, I got the Pentax Sling bag which, I'm told, is slightly larger than the Slingshot 100 but smaller than the 200.

I like this bag a lot. The camera is easy to get in and out of the bag. The bag does sling around very nicely. But, as with any sling bag, all of the zippered compartment are facing away from you 180 degrees when you have the bag in front of you. You have to be careful to not lean forward with any of them open as whatever you have in them could fall out. Heaven forbid it should be a lens.

Here is what I currently have in my Pentax Sling bag.

K10D with Grip and DA 16-45 attached.
Da 50-200 zoom
Tamron 70-300 zoom
Tamron 90mm Macro lens.
CPL's for the 16-45 and 50-200.
Two extra batteries for the K10D
Lens cloths
cable switch
and, a few odds and ends.

I'm looking at adding an FA 35 to my kit and there is "just" room for it.

Hope that helped.

Ed

01-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a Lowepro 300AW. It works as advertised for grabbing the camera out of it, but I wouldn't chance it for a lens change. What I don't like about it is that it slings to my left side, so if I want to just carry it like a shoulder bag, it's a bit odd for me. When I was deciding on what to get, I checked out the Tamrac Velocity series. Where the Lowepro "failed", they really shined. Slung around to my right side, could be worn like a shoulder bag with no problems, and was actually a bit more comfortable. In the end though, the Lowepro won out for a few reasons. First was the AW cover. Second was that it was much easier to access everything on it, even when they weren't being worn. Third, I was looking for a more or less take it all along solution. The Velocity 9 had a lot of room, don't get me wrong, but the 300 just had more, and right now, that was more important for me as I really don't want to get into the cost of multiple bags. From what you describe though, the Velocity may serve you well. If I were looking strictly for a carry around town bag though, I would have gone with it.
01-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I recently purchased, and am now using exclusively, the Pentax Sling bag. [...] Pentax Sling bag which, I'm told, is slightly larger than the Slingshot 100 but smaller than the 200.
Ed
Sounds good. Suppose it is the same as "Pentax Crossover Bag" I found.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I just got a Lowepro 300AW. It works as advertised for grabbing the camera out of it, but I wouldn't chance it for a lens change. What I don't like about it is that it slings to my left side, so if I want to just carry it like a shoulder bag, it's a bit odd for me. When I was deciding on what to get, I checked out the Tamrac Velocity series. Where the Lowepro "failed", they really shined. Slung around to my right side, could be worn like a shoulder bag with no problems, and was actually a bit more comfortable. In the end though, the Lowepro won out for a few reasons. First was the AW cover. Second was that it was much easier to access everything on it, even when they weren't being worn. Third, I was looking for a more or less take it all along solution. The Velocity 9 had a lot of room, don't get me wrong, but the 300 just had more, and right now, that was more important for me as I really don't want to get into the cost of multiple bags. From what you describe though, the Velocity may serve you well. If I were looking strictly for a carry around town bag though, I would have gone with it.
I'll have to consider this more, it seems like these alternatives, may it be Pentax, Lowepro or Tamrac, are still a bit too big for me. As I already have the micro trekker, I am now also considering the small Pentax shoulder bag, just for a camera with a lens and one lens more. It could actually do for me fine as a light city bag.

But I did asked for the slings, so thank you for your comments.
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Tamracs come in like 5 different sizes I think. The smallest seems fairly small. The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags
01-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
The Tamracs come in like 5 different sizes I think. The smallest seems fairly small. The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags
Thanks, 5x and 6x seem light enough, but still able to carry a couple of lenses.
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

They sling, and swing very well to provide you easy access to your gear (based on my Tamrac Velocity 9x) ... they also choke you if a) you are a big guy, b) you put a lot of weight in it (over 20 lbs for me). If both are the case as for me, you'll only be wearing it over one arm, defeating the purpose and the 'slinginess' ability of the bag.

I'm looking for another bag or two... one for expeditions that'll carry everything I have and more I have to get (tripod, 2nd body, more lenses), and one for just camera and a few lenses.
01-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #13

I have a Tamrac Velocity 7 and it seems good, most of the time, but I recently got a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and it seems significantly better. The Tamrac was always a tight squeeze for my gear and had no spare space for any extra thing/s I might want to bring along.
The Slingshot offers more space, better feel, better comfort, easier use, and more useful compartment layout.
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In general, I found this type of bag to be very uncomfortable to use when wearing a lot of clothing or loose clothing (coats, jackets, business suits, loose t-shirts, etc). When using the bag, one is quickly wrapped in a mess of twisted clothing without constant readjustments. After endlessly tugging at my clothing for a day or two, this bag was passed on to my wife to try.

However, she did not at all appreciate how the sling fits across the chest, accenting a woman's breasts. She stopped using the bag after a passerby in a crowded street bumped against the bag before she could get the "stability strap" in place, causing the sling strap to actually bruise one of her breasts.

After that incident, the bag was given the a friend to try, who seemed to like the bag well enough at the time. However, I recently noticed he is no longer using the bag (haven't asked why). All three of us are now using inconvenient, but effective, backpacks. Not sure what he is using, but I'm using (with grip on camera) a Tamrac Expedition 5 and the wife (no grip on camera) is using a Tamrac Expedition 4. Both bags have been modified somewhat (certain straps cut off, pockets added, etc) to fit our particular needs.

Regardless, others obviously really like the slingbags, so perhaps you will as well.

stewart
01-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
and
Veteran Member

I have an aw200 and I am happy with it, but I dont think I would get the 300, simply because if I brought so many lenses that I would fill a 300 then it would be too heavy. The bag is very convenient but the amount of weight I can comfortably carry with the 1 sling strap and support strap is much less than what I can carry in a normal backpack. I wouldnt want a normal backpack though, that is very inconvenient and waist bags become too huge when u need to bring eanough stuff to fill a 200. I would recommend it for a normal load of camera and 4-5 lenses.