Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #1

Sling for K-5, is it safe to hold it from only one strap ring ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I am considering to buy a sling for K-5, or make a DIY one. Just wondering if only one triangular ring is strong enought to hold the camera ?

I am considering such sling model: Bosstrap: BosStrap One Piece (OP) Sling Strap (Black) BOS1.5OP

05-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My K20D is rather heavier than a K5. It's often suspended by just one strap ring. I haven't lost it yet!
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use only one lug on my k-5 for my sling strap. No issues since march of last year.
05-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
RioRico, I checked some images of K20, and the strap holder is built in, so there is no ring between camera and strap. I am just not sure if the triangular ring of K-5 is strong enough where according to Crewl1, it should be.

Since people usually use slings that attach to tripod socket, are you using slings similar to Bosstrap, that use camera strap attachment ? I think this is a better and safer way.

05-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the sling strap from Optech.
I only suspend it from the left triangle as I have a handstrap attached to the right side ring.
http://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

Last edited by crewl1; 05-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.
05-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Had a look at my K5, one would certainly do the job. The two are meant for a simple neck strap. I have never felt the need to use anything beyond the simple neck strap that comes with the camera, why waste money you could spend on buying lenses? I have come to the conclusion that there is no "cool" way to carry a dslr. Its just a great ugly blob of metal, plastic and glass, there's no hiding the fact.
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
+1 on the sling strap but I use an Arca-Swiss tripod plate on the bottom which has cut outs for a strap, Markins PG-34N. One strap goes on the left camera lug, the other goes on the left strap cutout on the plate. Then I use the Op/Tech sling strap adapter to connect the camera to the shoulder pad. I like the ability to change out shoulder pads or quickly remove the strap altogether when I have the camera on the tripod in the studio. The strap always seems in the way and one more thing for me catch on and pull everything over. With this rig the camera hangs about waist level on the right side, just where my right hand hangs. Easy to grab or to hang onto the camera in a crowd or whatnot.

Maybe it's just me but I would not use a strap with only one attachment point. One to work and one to fail, is my motto. Today I was out taking some pictures of waterfalls. So the OP/Tech strap is on and connected to the camera, when I reach a spot I want to stop, attach the camera to the tripod, and then unclip the camera from the strap. When I am ready to move, reclip the camera to the strap and then dis-connect from the tripod. Ok, so I'm a little paranoid about walking through streams with $1,500 of camera stuff in my hand.

05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe it's just me but I would not use a strap with only one attachment point
A strap from which a camera is suspended, is held by two points on the camera, one of the points fails - what happens? The camera crashes to the floor.
05-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
A strap from which a camera is suspended, is held by two points on the camera, one of the points fails - what happens? The camera crashes to the floor.
That's a good point, but they also share the load, instead of putting all the load on just one point.

I'm not saying one isn't strong enough by itself, though - it very well may be.
05-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Totally agree!!! I bought a Wye shoulder strap or Y-strap, not sure how its spelled and its attached to the K5 with only one post for the last 17 months. The problem with the triangular ring that comes with the camera: when i tried to put it over the large Key ring that came with the Wye strap, it distorted permanently, and didn't clamp back down on itself. It eventually screwed itself loose on my larger Key ring and almost caused a camera drop before i discovered it.

I then went down to a Key shop, which had all sizes of strong circular key-rings. I got the right size and threw away the triangular Pentax ring and had no further problems.

If you neck can live with the neck strap, go ahead and use it. I just found it very stressful on my neck to carry it that way. and bending over often resulted in the camera swinging forward and banging into something.
05-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
Within reason the camera body hardware (pass throughs) that hold the straps on either side should for each of them bet stronger than about any strap that you would use. And for most any fabric or leather strap; the "material " would not give out first it would be the strap hardware.

As for the internal camera frame themselves; it just depends upon the camera. I believe everything in the Pentax line is at minimum a type of "layered" (much like plywood, but metal) metal frame; and in some cases a material such as magnesium. I've seen individual internal camera (pass throughs) for straps that could easily hold one hundred pounds, but... It could also end up damaging the other camera internal components. And also noting that one hndred pound "type of limit" is a steady type of pulling pressure, not a type of snap.

Also consider what type of lens is on the front of the camera and factor that into the way that one carries the camera. Unfortunately I've noticed a lot of lens' with tripod collars that would fail well before the fifty pound mark. Plus it would place and extraordinary amount of stress on the lens mount.

And not to knock NYC as this could in fact happen anywhere... Saw someone try to steal a Nikon on one of my most recent trips there. They had a type of PacSafe strap on the camera; and were unable to get it away from the person; despite a brief game of tug of war. And no damage to the camera.
05-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which is why I do not use a neck strap, please take a look at the OP/Tech strap I linked to.
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought this to attach dSLR to my backpack, however, have never had an opportunity to use, so far:

Capture Camera Clip System by Peak Design - Wear your DSLR camera on any backpack strap or belt.
05-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I only suspend it from the left triangle as I have a handstrap attached to the right side ring.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
I'll quote this post as it's exactly the setup I have.

Very often I have a Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 attached, which is like mounting a lead brick to the front of the camera.

Still, no signs of any problems -- those triangular split-ring things are strong and don't seem to bend out of shape. Works great.
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'll quote this post as it's exactly the setup I have.

Very often I have a Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 attached, which is like mounting a lead brick to the front of the camera.

Still, no signs of any problems -- those triangular split-ring things are strong and don't seem to bend out of shape. Works great.
Great minds ... ?

(The handstrap I have been using for a while looks similar to the new K-30 handstraps New PU Leather Camera Hand Grip Wrist Strap for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony SLR/DSLR | eBay )

Last edited by crewl1; 06-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.