Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mestos PD-K5H Plate no longer available?

That's what I get for waiting I guess.....

I want an acra-swiss plate for my K-5 grip, and a couple months ago a few members here bought the Mestos PD-K5H plate from an ebay seller:

Mestos PD-K5H Plate Bracket Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip | eBay

I know that is an Australian ebay link, but it is the only picture I can find of it now. I've done a couple searches and don't see it available anywhere now.

Does anyone know of any place to buy this plate now?

05-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Contact the eBay seller "dhsummer" in Korea. He can probably source one for you... unless they've halted production! He currently only has an L bracket for the K-5/K-7 body listed.
05-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good idea - just sent off a message - thanks panoguy!
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that was quick - within a couple hours of sending a message to "dhsummer" through ebay, I received a message back saying they do have them in stock and a url for the "buy it now".

They must have overlooked having this certain plate for sale.

Got one ordered - thanks again panoguy for the suggestion!

Here is the link in case anyone else is interested:

MESTOS PD-K5H Plate Bracket for Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip only NEW | eBay

05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 for Dr. D.H. Kim.

I think sometimes he has the item in stock, but he hasn't re-listed it after a previous listing sold out.

BTW, Stan, I think you'll be quite happy with the Mestos. They are very well made and have a nice fit and finish (somewhere between Kirk and RRS).
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
They are very well made and have a nice fit and finish
Do you have a picture of it on the grip that I could see?
05-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Do you have a picture of it on the grip that I could see?
I meant Stan will be happy with the fit and finish of the Mestos plates, in general. I don't have the specific model he ordered. I have the plain K-5 one pictured in this post.
05-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wanted to add that last week I received the Mestos one for the K5 with grip, and it is nice and works well. The plate as an off-center hole so that the ultimate result is a plate that is centered. I can't complain much there. That has to be one of the biggest annoyances of the grip. It also has a nice recessed area for the added safety a pin provides (if your clamp has such a pin). I hope I never have to use it in practice, but it small testing it works.

I didn't have to make any adjustments to my clamp although I've decided to switch all my gear to Mestos plates since my previous plates were all generics. I appreciate the specific nature of the K5 plate because I am now avoiding the rotating at the plate/body interface the has caused me heartburn in the past when it comes to photography.

I'll see if I can't get a photo of the plate and grip setup.

06-16-2012, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I would update this thread now that I have received the plates. I ended up ordering both plates - one for the camera body and one for the grip.

The seller was very responsive - when I first sent a message through ebay inquiring about the plate for the grip, I received a response within an hour when they put the plate back in their ebay listings. I ordered the plates on 5/29 and received a personal message about receiving my payment and that shipment would be made within 24 hours. I received the plates on 6/13 - 15 days which isn't bad at all from overseas with free shipping.

The quality of the plates are great - nicely machined - no rough edges anywhere. The fit on the grip is just perfect - once tightened down it can not move. I am very happy with these plates - I've added some pics here.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 12:51 AM.
06-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I thought I would update this thread now that I have received the plates.
Thanks for posting the photos!!
01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
mee
Site Supporter

So one would need a PD-K5 plate to work with the Mestos PD-K5L bracket right? I'm a bit confused on how to mount the L-bracket onto my tripod (Vanguard Alta 263AP with it's own Quick-Release Plate). I'm assuming I first attach the L-Bracket onto the K-5II body (no grip) and then attach the PD-K5 plate onto my tripod. Then I could mate the tripod-attached plate to the camera mounted L-Bracket.

Is that correct or am I off? This is pretty expensive for a couple pieces of milled aluminum so I want to get it right the first time.

Also, if I am somehow correct in all of this, how does the smaller plate mate with the larger L-bracket? Is there some kind of screw or clip that holds the two together???