Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No P_TTL available...

When using my AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ as remote slaves on channel 1, I am unable to set the modes to P-TTL, only A or M. It is my understanding that the K10D body is still operating in P-TTL Mode and "expects" the remote flashes to be set in the same manner. The 540 has just come back from servicing (the WA diffuser and Catchlite deflector were broken) and they checked the overall operation of the unit, but probably not the remote function. The 360 is new and does the same. Any ideas how to work with this?

01-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #2

The manual always says to use Channel 2. Not sure if that will make a difference.
01-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Channel doesn't make any difference. I have set the channel to sync between the camera and the flash(es) according to the instructions in the flash manuals. Iinitially goes to P-TTL and then reverts to "A" and if I press the Mode button it only permits A or M. I can work around this, but if it is in fact meant to operate in P-TTL, I would like it to do so. Thanks, though.
01-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

A wild shot in the dark - do you happen to use a lens with an aperture ring, which is not set to "A"?

01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
A wild shot in the dark - do you happen to use a lens with an aperture ring, which is not set to "A"?
No, the two lenses I want to use for now are the SMCP18-250 and Sigma 70mm 1:2.8 DG Macro; neither having aperture rings. Thanks, though.
01-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
When using my AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ as remote slaves on channel 1, I am unable to set the modes to P-TTL, only A or M.
I've noticed this a couple of times with my AF540, and I was completely mystified by it to start with. There are only so many times you can go through the instructions one line at a time, have it still not work, and not end up thinking you're either mad, or something's not working right.

However, putting in freshly recharged batteries has seemed to cure it, despite the batteries in it being perfectly capable of charging the flash to the point of lighting the test light in a reasonable time, and discharging (in A mode on the hot shoe) to produce a perfectly well exposed photo.

I'm far from convinced that this really is the root of the issue, though - it's not as if the problem reliably reappears as soon as the batteries get a bit tired.
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
I've noticed this a couple of times with my AF540, and I was completely mystified by it to start with. There are only so many times you can go through the instructions one line at a time, have it still not work, and not end up thinking you're either mad, or something's not working right.

However, putting in freshly recharged batteries has seemed to cure it,...
Yes, not to mention the headache!

I have used fully-charged batteries to no avail. Thanks.

01-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #8

Is the power switch on the flash in the middle "wireless" position? (It's not well marked)... You only get P-TTL in wireless mode (or, at least that's all I get with my setup, a K10D and AF360FGZ!) I went round and round on this same problem until I looked at the pdf brochure photo of the flash, showing P-TTL on the lcd... and the switch in the center position!
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, with the red light blinking. Fn flash setting "wireless mode" as well.
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

Just checked my 360 again... power up in wireless mode, it switches to P-TTL and manual zoom. Doesn't care if the camera is even turned on! Can then cycle mode to A and M and back to P-TTL. Red light is blinking away. Power up K10D, Fn to wireless flash, pop up the built in flash, and off we go. So I'm of no help to you, except that my 360 did exactly what your flashes are doing a couple of months ago, and I was on the point of sending it out for repair when 'something' clicked and it started working as advertised.

One thought... have you pulled the batteries and let the flash sit long enough for it to maybe 'forget' everything? Kind of like getting a 'power-on reset'? Then go through the set up procedure once again... but you've probably tried this one already. Sorry!!! And if you figure it out, be sure to let us know... you are not alone on this one!

Curt
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #11

Another thought - is the flash in 'Slave Mode 1'? Not talking about the channel number... I think, if my memory serves, this was the problem I had - pg 49 of the 360 manual talks about this, and it wasn't until I figured out the K10D was the same as the MZ-S that I got the setting right... it was the line "set to ... Slave2 for all other cameras" that got me in trouble.

Curt
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #12

Just confirmed that my 360 only permits A and M modes when in Slave2...

Curt
01-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by MNCurt-K10D Quote
Another thought - is the flash in 'Slave Mode 1'? Not talking about the channel number... I think, if my memory serves, this was the problem I had - pg 49 of the 360 manual talks about this, and it wasn't until I figured out the K10D was the same as the MZ-S that I got the setting right... it was the line "set to ... Slave2 for all other cameras" that got me in trouble.

Curt
MNCurt, Thank you very much! That was it. One of those duh moments albeit not as intuitive as some of this digital stuff. Muchas gracias!
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #14

You are most welcome... sorry it took me so many tries before the brain got properly fired up! Must be the current cold snap here in Minnesota...

Curt