Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

Original Poster
Anvh great links, thank you; such good information that I was not aware of, my problem was and is the shadows or the bright reflection of the light (direct flash light). Bouncing light off the ceiling without a diffuser is a good answer but I must be doing something wrong (for something so simple) sometimes the light is far too bright or image is under exposed.

Yes perhaps my settings or flash config needs work but I also though the diffuser helps in "softening" the light which is suppose to improve overall image quality? Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board before I spend some money and practice more without a diffuser. I don't know but the article/links were good!

Kind Regards

Waj.

06-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This is what i get bounced from the ceiling from the camera.

I've the camera on M-mode so everything is fixed in the camera and the flash is on p-ttl pointing upwards and i use centre weighted or matrix metering.

Got over 600 photos like these on my pc and never had a great problem with exposure.
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Waj K Maj Quote
I am stuck on finding myself a flash diffuser can anyone tell me where I should be looking and what type(s) currently I own a Sigma EF-610 DG SUPER and it just creates too many dark shadows and bright spots up close!
QuoteOriginally posted by Waj K Maj Quote
Yes perhaps my settings or flash config needs work
One thing that one should never forget is to use a fixed ISO when using flash. Your camera might increase the ISO first and next add the flash. At shorter distances this can easily result in an overexposed subject as there is a minimum flash duration (and hence a minimum amount of light that will be emitted).

And the other thing is that a direct flash (even with diffusers) can theoretically only illuminate properly at one distance; in front of it will be overexposed, behind it will be underexposed. In practice you will not see a problem within certain limits. Bouncing will prevent this. My problem is that I often shoot outdoors, so the sky is the ceiling which does not really work

AF540 with slide-on diffuser
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #19

Original Poster
Interesting sterretje, thank you, it's too late for me to even rush out and get a diffuser so I will give it my best shot on Thursday and learn on the job (lol lets hope it pulls off, I might paste some images down for you guys to give me some feedback) it is in a house so I can use the ceiling to my advantage, usually I am in a massive hall!

06-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
This is what i get bounced from the ceiling from the camera.

I've the camera on M-mode so everything is fixed in the camera and the flash is on p-ttl pointing upwards and i use centre weighted or matrix metering.

Got over 600 photos like these on my pc and never had a great problem with exposure.
Thanks for the tip...practiced some bounce flash yesterday using M-Mode instead of my usual Av and it was so much better, and gave me a lot more consistent results

Thanks again. Bounce flash is definitely the way to go, if the option is available.
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Cheap, tiny diffuser for onboard flash: infant's white sock, not too thick.
Cute!

Hey I flipping love flash, and all the cheap little tricks you can use to get beautifully lit images!