Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Step-down adapter rings - what's ideal?

Over the years I've made an effort to get lenses with 77mm filter rings to simply the use of polarizers, neutral density filters, and IR filters. I do have a few lenses with 72mm, 67mm, 55mm, 52mm, and 49mm filter threads. Though in most cases I will have to forego the use of a hood, I think it will make sense to get adapters to use 77mm filters with my lenses with smaller diameter filter threads. The question is, which of these sets would be better:

77mm -> 72mm, 77mm -> 67mm, 77mm -> 55mm, 77mm -> 52mm, 77mm -> 49mm

or

77mm -> 72mm, 72mm -> 67mm, 67mm -> 55mm, 55mm -> 52mm, 52mm -> 49mm

Pros with individual 77mm step-down adapters:

1. Can use more than one 77mm filter with more than one non-77mm lens
2. Simple to use, pick the appropriate adapter for the appropriate lens

Cons with individual 77mm step-down adapters:

1. Storage is tricky (without separators, they'll jostle against each other)

Pros with sequentially graduated step-down adapters:

1. Storage is simple and compact, just join them together
2. For a small lens, maybe the cone-like shape of multiple adapters can act as a partial hood

Cons with sequentially graduated step-down adapters:

1. Can only adapt one 77mm filter at a time to any given non-77mm filter thread lens
2. Cone of adapters potentially cumbersome with smaller lenses

What do you think?

06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
mee
Veteran Member

Another option would be one of these: Cokin "P" Series - Filter Holder, 77mm Adapter
06-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Another option would be one of these: Cokin "P" Series - Filter Holder, 77mm Adapter
True, but then I'd be buying replacement Cokin-style filters for the circular 77mm filters I already own, and I'd be foregoing the use of hoods with my 77mm lenses, and I'd also need adapters to use the Cokin holder with my smaller diameter lenses, correct? I'm not sure that really simplifies things much for me.

(The one big "win" with the Cokin system is something I'm not sure I'd use much - graduated neutral density filters, where I could slide the filter and rotate the filter and align the graduation line with the horizon in a way that no circular grad filter would let me.)
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have and use both sorts of sets. Jostling? I just keep them all in a plastic baggie. Some tend to try to seat into each other; I tie a twist-em around such of those.

06-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently came across a similar situation and chose to go the route of all 77-xx step-down filters. In my case the xx is a 52, 62, and 67.

I didn't worry about the jostling. They're decent metal. I worry more about carrying multiple filters, but my wife and I put together a nice filter holder out of some felt fabric and some basic seams, and I just include the step-down rings as if they are a filter.

The big advantage is that you can use multiple filters on multiple lenses. I also think it would be a bit of a hassle to have to have a step down ring on top of a step-down ring just to use a filter. I'm not sure how much it matters with respect to optics, but each ring puts the filter out further in front of the glass. I would think that the added distance could lead to some lens flare, but I haven't seen it either. With a 77 mm filter, the associated lens is a 10-24 mm zoom. At that wide, a polarizer does me no good, and I don't really use UV filters. My 77 mm filters tend to be ND filters, so I'm not sure if those alone help with lens flare.