Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Roxsen Bellows for Pentax K

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have experience with the RoxsenMacro Extension Bellow TUBE FOR PENTAX K CAMERA SLR sold on eBay
see Macro Extension Bellow TUBE FOR PENTAX K CAMERA SLR | eBay
Thanks

06-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Roxsen has a good reputation. Other similar bellows cost somewhat less. [Search CAMERAS for BELLO* PENT* to find them all.] I have had no problems with any of the four cheap bellows I've bought on eBay.

A note on bellows in general: Much can be done with inexpensive bellows. If you're just getting into macro photography, they're great. More expensive bellows may offer more extension for greater magnification, and control over both standards; and precision macro work may demand an adjustable target mount and various other hardware. But simple bellows like this Roxsen and its kin, with just one moving standard, can accomplish much.

This Roxsen unit is simple PK mount. Any PK lens with an aperture ring can be used. Also buy at least one cheap safe wide-flange M42-PK adapter, and a similar M39-PK adapter, and you can use numerous screwmount lenses. Enlarger lenses, mostly in M39 mount but some in M42, are cheap and excellent when bellows-mounted. With a little ingenuity, many other types of lenses can be used also. I go hog-wild mounting enlarger-projector-copy-xray-etc lenses on bellows and working with them at distances from macro to infinity.

Allow me to plug this article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html. Have fun!
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the in depth response and pointing me you macro posting
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just bought a Pentax Bellows II for 39.99 including shipping. I have several m42 lenses and a Pentax adapter. From what I read this is a very good unit mechanically and I thought the price was good.

06-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just bought a Pentax Bellows II for 39.99 including shipping. I have several m42 lenses and a Pentax adapter. From what I read this is a very good unit mechanically and I thought the price was good.
Good unit, good price, congrats. Here's some relevant info:

We think of 'macro' as very-close-up shooting. Conservatives define macro a 1:1 (lifesize) or more magnification. Liberals allow for 1:2 (half-size). Crass capitalist lensmakers call lenses that only reach 1:4 'macro', probably because it's sexier and uses less ink than CLOSE FOCUS. And with vanishingly few exceptions, any zoom called 'macro', isn't.

Macro PHOTOGRAPHY means shooting at magnification. Macro LENS has another implication: edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness. Most camera lenses have some field curvature; this can help make an image 'pop'. But if we're shooting flat subjects where the entire field matters, we can't have that. Macro lenses, enlarger lenses, reversed lenses, all have such edge perfection.

If shooting non-flat subjects where image edges don't matter, a camera lens on extension (bellows and/or tubes) may be just fine. If edges matter, then macro or enlarger or reversed lenses do the trick. I love enlarger lenses (ELs): cheap, sharp, cheap, small, cheap. Did I mention that they don't cost much? But old M42 camera lenses are a good place to start. Beware: some Fuji and Meyer|Pentacon and others are auto-only, with an auto-aperture pin but no M/A switch. These only shoot wide-open and so aren't the most useful for macros.

Is a saying that macro photographers are the happiest of camera workers. Are we happy yet?
06-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Beware: some Fuji and Meyer|Pentacon and others are auto-only, with an auto-aperture pin but no M/A switch. These only shoot wide-open and so aren't the most useful for macros.
Or if you don't mind making the lens more useful, take 5 minutes and glue the pin down.
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Or if you don't mind making the lens more useful, take 5 minutes and glue the pin down.
I'd thought to mention that. I have duplicates of the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 and Domiplan 50/2.8. On one of each, I have the pin glued down, to use on (d)SLRs. The others are intact, to use on my M42 cameras. I didn't think the Fujica 55/2.8 was special enough to warrant keeping two -- sold down the river, bye bye Fuji. Some auto-only M42s reputedly can be easily diddled: pull the base, jam the pin down, replace the base, a reversible mod. I haven't found such yet. I'll keep looking.

06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'd thought to mention that. I have duplicates of the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 and Domiplan 50/2.8. On one of each, I have the pin glued down, to use on (d)SLRs. The others are intact, to use on my M42 cameras. I didn't think the Fujica 55/2.8 was special enough to warrant keeping two -- sold down the river, bye bye Fuji. Some auto-only M42s reputedly can be easily diddled: pull the base, jam the pin down, replace the base, a reversible mod. I haven't found such yet. I'll keep looking.
Glue is reversible with some acetone, but I haven't tried it.
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Glue is reversible with some acetone, but I haven't tried it.
Contact cement and superglue are both supposedly soluble in acetone, but the pins I superglued down haven't responded, and I haven't had reason yet to see what happens with contact cement.
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Does anyone have experience with the RoxsenMacro Extension Bellow TUBE FOR PENTAX K CAMERA SLR sold on eBay
see Macro Extension Bellow TUBE FOR PENTAX K CAMERA SLR | eBay
Thanks
I have that bellows (bought through Adorama I think) and it is ok. It has many plastic parts which is ok by me, but not so good is that the camera end of the bellows doesn't move which can be a problem occasionally.

I'm looking for another PK bellows and will post if I find something more cost effective.

Dave in Iowa