Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you use flash? (Not including in studio).
Mostly available light only, with perhaps some occassional fill with built-in flash. 37.50%
Considering an upgrade of flash equipment, but haven't yet got to it. 12.50%
Have a separate flash unit that is used on camera only. Use techniques such as ceiling-bounce. 820.00%
Use off-camera flash occassionally/regularly. Might use umbrellas, snoots and so forth. 2870.00%
Have tried off-camera flash but did not like it. Not worth the time to setup.   00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use on-camera flash when circumstances require (indoors, outdoors) but still need to practice to really make it second nature. Last weekend I was asked to do some shots and I screwed it up completely by totally not thinking about distance, shadows and so on

06-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually prefer bounced and/or diffused flash to available light for indoor photos of people. In Canada, white balance will be all over the place because home lighting is a mix of tungsten, fluorescent, halogen and xenon. Commercial lighting can be all these and more. Intensity is usually low enough in artificial light that you will need wide apertures, therefore low shutter speeds and thin dof. Under these conditions it's rare to have more than one person in focus. If the subject moves, they will blur. Flash overcomes these limitations. Harsh flash light can be controlled with bounce or diffusion. For close quarters like a house party, I like to use my Sigma 530 Super's integral diffuser with an Omni-Bounce. For a larger event, I like a flash bracket.

Off-camera gives the best results but requires setup and placement of the flash and subject, so I don't use it much. The Sigma flash comes with a handy little foot that lets you stand the flash on any flat surface. The flash can be aimed at the subject, diffused or bounced. I have a light stand and umbrella, but it's for formal photos, which I rarely do. If I'm using the built-in flash to add to the lighting, I mount a Puffer to soften it. I'd like a second flash, but I have very limited opportunities for using it, so it hasn't been worthwhile so far.

One of these days I'll get a Better Beamer for wildlife and bird photography. Flash is a big help for macro photography, diffused or off-camera. The cord for my flash bracket lets me angle the flash, which makes it useful for macro:

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-19-2012 at 09:29 AM.
06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I usually prefer bounced and/or diffused flash to available light for indoor photos of people. In Canada, white balance will be all over the place because home lighting is a mix of tungsten, fluorescent, halogen and xenon. Event lighting can be all these and more. Intensity is usually low enough in artificial light that you will need small apertures, therefore low shutter speeds and thin dof. Under these conditions it's rare to have more than one person in focus. If the subject moves, they will blur. Flash overcomes these limitations. Harsh flash light can be controlled with bounce or diffusion. For close quarters like a house party, I like to use my Sigma 530 Super's integral diffuser with an Omni-Bounce. For a larger event, I like a flash bracket.

Off-camera gives the best results but requires setup and placement of the flash and subject, so I don't use it that much. The Sigma flash comes with a handy little foot that lets you stand the flash on any flat surface. The flash can be aimed at the subject, diffused or bounced. I have a light stand and umbrella, but it's for formal photos, which I rarely do. If I'm using the built-in flash to add to the lighting, I mount a Puffer to soften it. I'd like a second flash, but I have very limited opportunities for using it, so it hasn't been worthwhile so far.

One of these days I'll get a Better Beamer for wildlife and bird photography. Flash is a big help for macro photography, diffused or off-camera. The cord for my flash bracket lets me angle the flash, which makes it useful for macro:

Nice setup! Where do you buy the handgrip / brackets?
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I would love to tell you where to find the cord with the rotating shoe. I happened to find this one on the shelf at the local Henry's store.
Maybe here? https://www.bjphoto.net/BJ_ProductDetails.aspx?ProductIndex=9&product_key=CAT1
Maybe here? http://www.henrys.com/4407-SM-TTL-FLASH-EXT-COILED-CORD-PENTAX-1M.aspx

Impossible to tell from the write-up.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-19-2012 at 08:55 AM.
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Cameron is actually a henry's house brand i think. they get lighting under that name as well
06-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Cameron is actually a henry's house brand i think.
Can't be, Vistek and a lot of others sell Cameron products.
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Can't be, Vistek and a lot of others sell Cameron products.
Never noticed them at vistek, that's why I assumed it was a henrys brand. it's their big promo budget strobe kit . Vistek though would bury something like that in store in favour of pushing alien bees and other high end stuff

the link toy posted to the web store sounds exactly like the cord you are using

I like the setup you are using I may pick up a similar deal myself (after I pick up a new flash my 360 has basically fallen apart after to many knock at shows. battery cover and base both coming off

06-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Did I somehow delete my post on the camera bracket???

The flash bracket is here: Custom Brackets Folding-T Bracket CB-FOLDING-T B&H Photo Video
I also recommend the AT Anti Twist Bar, shown on the same page.

More photos of the bracket here, including portrait mode and folded for packing: https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/FlashBracket?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-lmNTMme7p7gE#

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

> Have tried off-camera flash but did not like it. Not worth the time to setup.

Interesting that no one of the 32 respondents has chosen this answer, and the grand majority use off-camera flash (23 of 32). What this means to me is that people find off-camera flash is worth the added trouble to set up.
06-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #25

Original Poster
Audiobomber - yes, it is interesting that folks seem to stick with off-camera. I personally am very stoked to explore/learn off-camera, but its good to know others agree as there is expense and time investment.
06-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I can honestly say I've never bothered with the flash.

Granted, I've only ever tried the horrid popup flash on the camera.
06-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stills999 Quote
Audiobomber - yes, it is interesting that folks seem to stick with off-camera. I personally am very stoked to explore/learn off-camera, but its good to know others agree as there is expense and time investment.
You don't necessarily need an umbrella and light stand for off-camera. For example, I was at a small house party once where the group wanted a photo. I had my flash and the little footer that allows it to stand on its own. I set the flash on a bookshelf near the subjects, aimed it at the ceiling and took the shot.

I've asked a bystander to hold the flash for an off-camera shot. I've even held the flash in my left hand and the camera in my right and took the shot. I always diffuse the flash if I can't bounce. Off-camera eliminates any chance of red-eye and gives more natural looking light. It's no wonder most people in the poll use it.

I suspect that the "Mostly available light" people are not clicking on the thread and therefore not voting. There are a lot of people on this site who, like hks_kansei, use available light only. I consider an external flash to be an essential purchase, to be made soon after acquiring a camera and a couple of lenses.