Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

help with choosing tripod

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hey guys!
hope all is well. i know it has been discussed a lot of times but i'm still trying to decide which tripod to choose as i don't want/have enough cash to go down the big names route.
so i've narrowed it down to three which i think would do it for me.
Oben AC-1310 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with BA-0 Ball Head 847628014169 | eBay - got a great review here
Professional Alu Camera SLR Tripod Ball Head With Bag For Nikon Canon Sony etc.. | eBay - somewhat of a dark horse
Professional Camera Tripod Fancier WF-6663A 1/4? male thread w/3-way Head Bag | eBay - got great reviews locally where i live

so that's basically it. i'm just a bit torn cause the price is on par and they all will do the job. i'm just not sure which is more reliable.
thank you for all your input in advance.

06-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I kinda like the look of the one that you can also turn into a monopod, I think in that range they're all about the same, so to have the versitility to change to a monopod helps a bit? I don't think any will "fail" but the ball heads may not be super smooth like a 300.00 dollar one, but certainly good as a starting out tripod one would think.
06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I think in that range they're all about the same,
I agree, in that price range they should be very close. Only difference in the tripod will be little details like how the leg clamps work or the shape of the knobs. And you can only determine if you like it when you can handle it.

A tripod in that range will handle most smaller lenses with no problem. I do not think you will be happy with the ball heads though. I might be wrong but I think a good ball head is a lot more spendy than that. All depends on what gear you have. But in my experience, there is nothing worse than a poorly made ball head. Some things for less money are just not as good or lack features. Cheap ball heads are just plain miserable to work with.
06-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for your input guys.
i guess i'll stick with a 3 way head then. yeah the idea of tripod/monopod is great but i'm not sure about the quality of the ballhead.