Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
O-GPS1 help needed

Hi all,

I thought I'd write in a forum. Pentax cannot or dont want help me. I have a Pentax K-r and O-GPS1. Basically, I bought the module, due to the Astrotracer. After some tests, I had to send the unit back because of the AstroTracers and Compass did not work. The Compass just turned 180 degrees, not more and Astrotracer mades only dashes. The module had to be replaced. When I got my equipment back, I tested again the astronomical function, without success. It can be seen only dashes. Regular calibration and precise calibration I performed several times successfully. I also tested Astrotracer with a fixed object to see if the sensos moves, and it does perfectly. Compass works now. The location for testin ist far away from any elektromagnetical sources. The sky was also clear. Can someone help me there? I'm pretty frustrated. (Sorry for the translation)

regards Dino

06-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is your K-r upgraded to the latest firmware version? That should be done (if it hasn't).
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Actually is the firmware 1.12 on it.

Regards Dino
06-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmm, does the navigation part work? Does it give you your lat & long & elevation?

I believe that has to work first before you can get into the astrotracer function. Also, the camera does have to be in 'B'ulb mode to use the Astrotracer.

(I apologize if you've already carried out these functions.)

06-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

i've had a few challenges myself and finally started getting useable photos only after going from firmware 1.12 to 1.13 on my K5. I still have a calibration issue when using manual lenses that i cannot resolve. The whole device seems to be in need of refinement, IMO.
I have yet to actually use it in the field (other than the 8 or 9 outings for testing, that is), but I hope to get something I can use before winter returns, lol.
06-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi there,

@mtansley The coordinates seemes to be right. A thing is a bit strange. After i go into the compass mode, the altitude goes slowly from a high value to the right value. It takes about 10 minutes. Then the altitude varies a bit. It is not constant. The gps finds more than 4 satellites.

@mikeSF I use the standard kits 18-55 and 50-200. With both the calibration is successfull. But the results are a catastrophe. I tested now aproximately 3-4 times. 2 time on the field. The only success i had, is to test ist on a fixed object and then to see the perfect moving of the sensor.

I cannot understand why pentax does not do anything. Its so a great feature! And the badest thing for me is, that its an expensive accessorie that didn't works... Pentax! Please help :-(
06-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
@mtansley Sorry... The Navigation part i havent yet tested. But i had already send the camera and the gps back, because of the compass issue. Now it works.

06-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've only owned the O-GPS1 for a week. During one very clear night I worked with it for a few hours with so-so results. Some exposures gave pinpoint stars while others gave streaks, sometimes with the same lens, settings, and pointed in the same general direction.

I will test it again - tonight if the good weather forecast holds - before returning to the store to test another one. My sole use for it is astrophotography and if it can't do that reliably I have no need for the other functions.
06-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

here is my similar thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187813-o-...-troubles.html
06-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The reason I ask about the navigation function is that I believe everything is connected in this device. The astrotracer function relies on having a good GPS satellite lock with 4 or more satellites before doing anything with the astrotracer.

-get 3d satellite lock on O-GPS1
-check the lock, i.e. little satellite symbol is green and you have latitude, longitude and elevation info
-do simple calibration, check compass
-do astrotracer calibration

All these steps should be done even if all you want to do is astrophotography.

@netman:the GPS coordinates will move around a little even after getting a good lock, but they shouldn't vary a great deal.

If everyone is doing all these functions already, sorry, troubleshooting remotely is difficult compared to actually being there with you different folks to assist you.
06-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netman Quote
Hi there,

@mtansley The coordinates seemes to be right. A thing is a bit strange. After i go into the compass mode, the altitude goes slowly from a high value to the right value. It takes about 10 minutes. Then the altitude varies a bit. It is not constant. The gps finds more than 4 satellites.

@mikeSF I use the standard kits 18-55 and 50-200. With both the calibration is successfull. But the results are a catastrophe. I tested now aproximately 3-4 times. 2 time on the field. The only success i had, is to test ist on a fixed object and then to see the perfect moving of the sensor.

I cannot understand why pentax does not do anything. Its so a great feature! And the badest thing for me is, that its an expensive accessorie that didn't works... Pentax! Please help :-(
You could perhaps take your testing on a fixed terrestial object one bit further? I am just guessing but assume that you have had your camera more or less in a horizontal level? If so, one could try in a situation where the camera is tilted above some 45 degrees (i.e. close to a tall lamp post / building or similar). The reason for this suggestion is, that I suspect the error might lie, not in the O-GPS1, not in the firmware, but in the camera body's level/inclonemeter/accelerator sensors.

I cannot do such a test myself, because over my current two weeks of ownership I have tested the Astrotracer function with both M-, A- and DA-lenses with identical - and so far fair - results.

This leads to a second suggestion: For those of you encountering problems: Would it be possible for any of you to try out your "problematic" unit on another Pentax owner's K-r or K-5 body? That might give us an additional clue as to where to search for the core of the problems reported.

Last edited by Stone G.; 06-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
...Would it be possible for any of you to try out your "problematic" unit on another Pentax owner's K-r or K-5 body?..
I know dozens if not a hundred photographers here in my area and never seen one with a Pentax, hahaha
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
-get 3d satellite lock on O-GPS1
-check the lock, i.e. little satellite symbol is green and you have latitude, longitude and elevation info
-do simple calibration, check compass
-do astrotracer calibration

i do all these things in that order every time, just to cover all the bases.
06-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hello again,

Thanks guys for your help!
So, now i have sent some test pictures to the pentax support. We will see...

@DeadJohn It would be great for me, to have also a shop in the near. But nothing around the next 150Km.

@mikeSF I know it :-)

@mtansley Yes, all these steps are done and in the navigation seems to be okey. Coordinates corresponds aproximately to google maps on my smartphone. And i do all the steps only for astrotracer :-) Its is the main reason why i chose pentay K-r is because of the astrofuncion... :-/

@Stone G. I heard about this Problem in the acceleration sensor of the K-r. I think i tested both, but i do it again, if the weather changes. Show in the attachmend. One is on a fixed object (tower with ligth) and the other are stars.
As I said, it would be great to have a pentax shop or even a friend with a pentax. But nothing in the near. Only canon, nikon, sony... no pentax :-( Its a shame, i know.

So Here Some test Pictures. As i said, one ist a tower with light to see if the sensor is moving and the other are stars.

I cannot link my album pics...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/50350-netman/albums/5288-o-gps1-a...ture45072.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/50350-netman/albums/5288-o-gps1-a...ture45071.html

Last edited by netman; 06-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HI netman,

If the picture with the stars are with Astrotracer on, you should certainly have every right to expect something better.

I can see you have used a 200mm lens for your tests. So have I (a newbie in this field too and Denmark is also very far from support). I know it is little consolation, but try take a look at my test pictures so far here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/135-astrophotography/1802-astrotra...ps-tricks.html

So, don't give up! I do hope you will be able to produce something similar - or better - soon!