Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #1

Wireless flash triggering on a K-30?

I have two questions regarding the use of flashes with the Pentax body.

A while ago I sold my K-x, and I wanted to buy a K-5. But then K-30 was announced and I decided I should wait, since K-30 might be more appropriate body for me. One of my plans for future was also to buy two flashes and to try to do some macro work with wireless flashes. So my first question is, do you think K-30 will support wireless flash triggering? As far as I read K-01 does not support this and it seems that K-30 will be a kind of brother of K-01. I would probably buy a Metz and a Yongnuo.

Yesterday I was surfing around, trying to find an answer for something not really relevant to flashes but I bumped into a thread on some forum saying that canon flashes can be used on pentax body. I did surf around and it seems that couple of people did try it and it can work. I find this very interesting. Unfortunately I cannot test it because I currently do not have Pentax body. I have an access to a Speedlight 580EXII flash and I can borrow it any time I want. So my second question is: could I use Canon flash and a Yongnuo flash (one mounted on the body and other one used as a slave, or even both as a slave) on a Pentax K-5 or Pentax K-30 body. I hope somebody could give me at least an educated guess since nobody can actually test it with K-30?

06-21-2012, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
do you think K-30 will support wireless flash triggering
Define wireless I don't see a reason why RF triggering would not work. Personally I think that it will support the normal optical wireless as well but to make sure you can download the K30 manual (see (e.g.) Instruction manual Pentax K-30: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review for a link) to answer all your questions.

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
I bumped into a thread on some forum saying that canon flashes can be used on pentax body
You will not have pTTL functionality, that's all.
06-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Define wireless I don't see a reason why RF triggering would not work. Personally I think that it will support the normal optical wireless as well but to make sure you can download the K30 manual (see (e.g.) Instruction manual Pentax K-30: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review for a link) to answer all your questions.
Thanks for the link, I did not expect a manual to be on the web before the camera comes to stores. That will help me answer my other questions about K-30.

Well, K-30 does support the wireless flash triggering. What it lack compared to K-5 is no PC X-sync port, but as far as I know adapter for hot-shoe to PC sync can be bought. So in practice this is maybe not so relevant.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You will not have pTTL functionality, that's all.
Well, this is the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks