Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Problem is that the yunguo is not a P-TTL flash so it needs to ignore the pre-flash that happen when you want to trigger the sigma wirelessly, not sure if it can do that.
When hotshoe mounted, the Sigma EF-610 DG Super can do a pre-flash as a P-TTL controller or not, as desired. If you want to use a non-P-TTL flash (e.g. yonguo) off-camera in a P-TTL environment, the Seagull SYK-5 optical slave works for me to ignore the P-TTL pre-flash and fire when the shutter is open.

My Vivitar 550FD is a tool I've had since the late 80's. It knows TTL, but as we know, that setting is useless in a P-TTL environment. I can use either thyristor or manual only. Mounted off-camera on the SYK-5, I can trigger the flash while the shutter is open (meaning after the pre-flash) with the built-in flash. Going a step further, I can setup my Sigma in an off-camera wireless P-TTL mode and fire BOTH flashes from the built-in flash - the shadows I deliberately created in my test shots were the proof. And of course depending on how I set the camera's flash control, the built-in flash can be used as a participant or not in either of the preceding flash setups. One, two or three flashes within a P-TTL environment - my choice.

06-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

For who is that comment?
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP has a Yonguo and is considering the Sigma ... I am letting him - and other readers of this thread - know of my experience with the Sigma and mixing in a manual P-TTL flash. I see several folks that appear to believe you can't use a manual flash within a P-TTL environment. And am saying that isn't so. There is a way. It does not turn a manual flash into an automated flash, but it does allow a manual flash to still be useful within a P-TTL environment even if the flash has no pre-flash suppression of its own.

By the way, the Seagull SYK-5 sells for US$15.95 on Amazon - free shipping if you have a Prime membership. Pretty small marginal investment in my opinion to get more mileage out of equipment you already own.
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

But you still can't mix manual flash and a flash on P-TTL thought, no matter what kind of tricks you use the exposure will be off.

06-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on the scene and how you are using the flashes. For example, I would use the manual flash to better illuminate the background or as a halo light for hair, and use the P-TTL flash(es) for the primary subject. The added exposure from the manual flash isn't as critical in these circumstances. If you are mixing both flash types on the primary subject, I would dial back the manual to only fill in shadows, or yes, you will likely overexpose.

At least with my Vivitar flash, the auto-thyristor settings (Av mode on the camera, matching ISO) work amazingly well alongside the P-TTL in lighting the main subject. I was surprised when I ran my tests. I fully expected a gross overexposure and what I got with the two off-camera flashes at roughly 45 degrees to either side of the subject was remarkably even lighting on both sides with no overexposure. I deliberately set up the test shot to create shadows so I could verify the timing on the Vivitar/Seagull unit. And while there was a shadow on either side, they were both about equally lightened from the opposing flash.

Thinking it through, if both flashes are stuck right next to each other with the non-P-TTL flash set to do a full exposure and the P-TTL flash also doing a full exposure - you would have double your desired exposure - or one full stop. Other than some burned out highlights, one stop can often be fixed in post processing. Somehow, I don't think most users would use two flashes in this fashion.
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If both flashes don't add to eachother light then indeed, the problem shouldt be that big, didnt think about that.
08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question that may be related: has any one used the K-5 connected to an external flash unit with a PC cable connected to the x-sync socket? I wonder because I have an old Vivitar 283 flash unit with sync cord that will like to know if it can work with a K-5. Any information will be apreciated. Thanks to all.
08-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Metz 58 af2. It's about the same price as the AF540, and has more features and more power. It can also do automatic (thyristor) flash if you are using a manual lens.

It's more money than you want to spend, but if you're serious about flash you'll probably end up buying it anyway.
just a note the AF 540FGZ can also do auto flash with manual lenses, and can step back and do TTL as opposed to P-TTL if the body supports TTL (*istD, DS and DS2 plus film bodies)