Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tripod help!

I ran across a carbon fiber tripod in a junk shop and was able to pick it up for $30. It even came with a grip ball head, but the head is missing it's quick release plate. I've been unable to find a model number or even a manufacturer's name on the ball head, but I'm assuming it originally came with the tripod. The tripod says it's made by PIC Photo Technology. It also might be OPIC Photo Technology. Kinda hard to tell because there's a symbol on the logo and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a stylized letter or not. The model number on the tripod is OT313. Is anybody familiar with this brand of tripod? I'm not having much luck so far in searching for info on the internet. However, there's a VERY similar tripod like it in the 2008 Cabela's Shooting catalogue. (The tripod in the catalogue has a different head, though.) I know this tripod is just a cheapo import and I can always put a different head on it, but I'd love to find someplace to order a replacement quick release plate. Thanks.

01-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Could that be "Optic Photo Technology" with a stylized "O" and "T" in the first word, TaoMass. Actually, no real need to answer that question since I had no more success finding a tripod under that name on the internet than I did the model number and other search terms. At this rate, you may be forced to simply replace the head with another.

stewart
01-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmmm....could be, Stewart. I'll see if I can dig anything up under that name. Since I found a near identical one in the Cabela's catalogue, I'm thinking it's one of those generic tripods that gets rebadged under the importer's name. So this company may be long gone. Thanks for your help.
01-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
how about taking the head to a camera shop and seeing if they have a plate to fit. i know that RRS, wimberly, and gitzo make plates that will fit my amvona heads..

01-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I found a tripod in a garage sale (1.00) without a quick release plate. I made one with a piece of 1x3 oak and a router with a dovetail bit. If you prefer ready made you could try index. They have lots of listings. We tend to be cheap in the Adirondacks and like to spend the long winters whittling up homemade camera gear.
01-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
We tend to be cheap in the Adirondacks and like to spend the long winters whittling up homemade camera gear.
ROTFLMAO

good link tho, thanks
02-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The head on this tripod is the head I have:
AT 6703 PRO DIGITAL SLR CAMERA PHOTO TRIPOD BY DYNATRAN - eBay (item 350024546689 end time Feb-17-08 15:32:22 PST)

It looks like it's a Dyna Tran or Amvona. Or are they the same? However, when I go to the Amvona home site, they don't list this ball head there. I know some of you have dealt with Amvona, but have you ever tried to order replacement parts from them? If so, how were they to deal with?

02-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE: I found another ebay dealer who was carrying a grip head similar to the one I bought, but it looked like it had a different quick release mechanism on it. So I wrote to him and asked if he knew who manufactured that particular head. He didn't know, but said that if I sent him a pic of the head I had, he'd try and help me locate some plates for it. I sent him some pics and about 6 hours later, he'd found some for sale. The guy's online store is photogearfinder.com and it looks like he lives up to his store's name. He could have just as easily said, "Nope...don't carry it", but he went out of his way to help me even if he wasn't getting the business.