Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Close-Up lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys!

If any of you is not into buying a new K20D/K200D, please tell me, what are those Close-Up / Macro lenses? HERE
Did any of you have used one of these?
Is it worth paying 30 US$ for them?

Thanks!

01-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #2

These are diopters. They are essentially magnifying glasses. They are not specific to any type of lens. They simply screw on to the filter thread of any given lens. I assume these are 52mm to fit the Pentax kit lenses. They will get you greater magnification but at the cost of image quality.

Worth $30? Depends what you have already and what you intend to do with them. Might be useful if your maximum magnifcation is 1:4 from your existing lenses.
01-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by susanc Quote
(snip) They will get you greater magnification but at the cost of image quality. (snip)

That's somewhat misleading, susanc. Of course, there is always a theoretical loss of image quality with any filter added to the lens system. But, in practical terms, one will rarely see any visible loss in the final image. If anything else were true, filters would not have been so popular with photographers over the many years of their existance. These particular filters/lenses (close-up diopters), disregarding differences in design, quality, and workmanship between the different brands (the things "pentagor" should pay attention to), are not any more prone to image loss than other filters. That, combined with their relatively low price, certainly makes them worthwhile for any person casually interested in close-up photography. In fact, many (including myself) find these quite sufficient for even more extensive close-up work.

stewart
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both for this. Yes, since they are 52mm, I would use them on my kit lense.
I was just wondering, what is the magnification of the macro diopter. Do you think it is 1:1?

01-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Igilligan

Look at the Raynox 250 for around 40 dollars

It clilps on a few different sizes of lenses.
There is a thread in the other forum with some incredible shots from it on the DA50-200

Butterfly Macros (DA50-200 Super!): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have the raynox and it is a nice piece of glass. Much better that the 1-2-3 screw-ons IMO

I forgot to mention there is a Raynox 150 that has less magnification, but is a little easier to use since the DOF is a bit deeper. But both are fun lenses.
-gus-

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Thank you both for this. Yes, since they are 52mm, I would use them on my kit lense.
I was just wondering, what is the magnification of the macro diopter. Do you think it is 1:1?
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Maybe we can merge threads with this one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/19198-close-up-...-question.html

See my post, which outlines the math behind close up lenses, impact on maximum focusing distancem and magnification ratio.

the OP on that thread was looking to go 1:1 with 28mm lens. in my opinion that is just too short, and the same holds true (but to a lesser extent with a 50mm. it is just too short, because 1:1 implies equal object to lens distance as lens to focal plane distance. with either the 28 mm in the other thread, or the 50mm in your thread 1:1 with close up lneses is not the best way forward. with 50mm lens, 1:1 can be achieved with a 50mm extension tube, and the subject at 100mm from the front of the lens.

I have played with +1 and +2 diopter close up lenses on my 135mm, and had a lot of fun, between 1:8 and 1:4 working between 1 meter and .5 meter from the subject.

With macro, my view is the further away from the subject, the better. therefore you are better to start with a longer prime lens. I have a 100mm marco, and the 135mm which I use with both extension tubes and close up lenses.